Original post by bananarama2
Ermm... WTF?

Spoiler

Ermm... WTF?

In-joke
Reply 1524
Original post by Mladenov
I do not understand this. From f(x)(f(x)x)=0f(x)(f(-x)-x)=0 it does not follow that f(x)=xf(-x)=x for all xx or f(x)=0f(x)=0 for all xx. Can I not take ff to be zero over the rationals and x-x over the irrationals?

Oops there was a few typos! Especially in having f(x)=0 in the last paragraph but not at the end! Is it fine now?
We should allow ciphers on this thread :colone:
Reply 1526
Original post by ukdragon37
I've decided to give you a taste of what I do :tongue:

Spoiler

Haha, no idea what's going on I'm afraid! :lol:

Those diagrams look cool though! Your child look awesome! :lol:

Problem 224*

'Bananarama 2' is at the top of the Eiffel Tower with twelve coins. All coins are of equal size and appearance though one of them is of a different weight (as it is a counterfeit coin). We do not know whether it is heavier or lighter. He has two bags of equal size and weight labelled A and B and the french government have told him that, if he is going to drop coins off the Eiffel tower, he is obviously going to have to do so using these bags otherwise he would be violating the health and safety regulations. He may place however many coins in bag A and however many coins in bag B and drop them from the tower. 'LOTF' is at the bottom of the tower and, every time the coins are dropped from the tower, he notes which bag hits the ground first or whether they both hit the ground at the same time. Unfortunately, the joke is getting old and so, whilst 'Bananarama 2' would happily drop coins from the Eiffel Tower all day, 'LOTF' had only agreed to stick around for 20 minutes from the time the first pair of bags are dropped. The lift in the Eiffel tower takes 6 minutes to queue for each time 'LOTF' brings the bags and coins back up. We cannot predict exactly how long the lift will take but the time taken to go from the bottom to the top, measured in minutes, can be modelled as having a continuous uniform distribution on the interval [12,2][\frac{1}{2} , 2].

Are they going to be able to find the counterfeit coin? Give reasons for your answer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkn

Problem 224*

I'm going to guess no because Galileo says so :colonhash:
Reply 1528
I'm going to guess no because Galileo says so :colonhash:

**** Galileo! :colonhash: We may assume that 'LOTF' is incredibly good at seeing which (if either) bag hits the ground first.

Spoiler

Problem 225*

Let ρ0\rho_0 be a density such that, if the density of the universe were greater than ρ0\rho_0, the gravitational forces would be strong enough to halt the expansion of the universe (i.e. the universe would be closed).

Assuming that the universe is both isotropic and homogenous, prove that ρ03H028πG\displaystyle \rho_0 \approx \frac{3H^2_0}{8 \pi G}, where H0H_0 is Hubble's constant and GG is the universal gravitational constant.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkn
**** Galileo! :colonhash: We may assume that 'LOTF' is incredibly good at seeing which (if either) bag hits the ground first.

Spoiler

:confused: Yes I recognise the problem but the way you framed it makes the solution impossible. The latter outcome of one hitting the ground before the other is not going to happen, as famously shown by Galileo. You can put one coin in one bag and 100 in the other and they are still going to land at the same time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Solution 224

The queue to the lift of the Eiffel tower does not take 6 minutes, it takes 2 hours. Thus LotF never gets to the top, people get injured from the falling coins, banarama gets arrested, and LotF goes to a nearby café to enjoy a glass of 1981 Petrus.
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Solution 224

The queue to the lift of the Eiffel tower does not take 6 minutes, it takes 2 hours. Thus LotF never gets to the top, people get injured from the falling coins, banarama gets arrested, and LotF goes to a nearby café to enjoy a glass of 1981 Petrus.

Cheers for that! :rolleyes: You're just going to roll up at Cambridge and fill your room with vintage wine aren't you?
Reply 1532
:confused: Yes I recognise the problem but the way you framed it makes the solution impossible. The latter outcome of one hitting the ground before the other is not going to happen, as famously shown by Galileo. You can put one coin in one bag and 100 in the other and they are still going to land at the same time.

I'm guessing the fact that there is air resistance means that the bag that weighs more will indeed hit the ground first.
Original post by und
I'm guessing the fact that there is air resistance means that the bag that weighs more will indeed hit the ground first.

But as Jkn so strongly protested yesterday, that's such an important unstated assumption like assuming I am Obama for "How likely I am to go into the White House?". :laugh:
Reply 1534

................... are they? :colone:

Spoiler

Original post by Lord of the Flies

Hahahahahaha PRSOM :lol: Is that the French equivalent of going to the Winchester, pouring a nice cool pint and waiting for everything to blow over? :lol:

What makes you think LOTF needs to go up in the lift with the coins? :colone: If he did, we would not have enough information as to how long it would take him to get down :colone: We may assume that they're going to let him chuck the bag of coins in every time the elevator is about to go up and that this time is, in fact, such that he has to wait 6 minutes each time! :tongue:
Original post by und

Given the size, the quadratic drag law would be best to describe the motion and mass cancels out. The shape has an impact and volume but not mass.
Reply 1536
But as Jkn so strongly protested yesterday, that's such an important unstated assumption like assuming I am Obama for "How likely I am to go into the White House?". :laugh:

Hahahaha :lol:

Quite the contrary! The nature of assumption is, in this case, such that if the problem does not suggest air resistance is being ruled out, we must assume that it is not! Lack of assumption in Physics forces you towards more sophisticated theories whilst lack of assumption is mathematics often renders a problem un-doable! :smile:
Original post by und

:colone:
Reply 1537
Given the size, the quadratic drag law would be best to describe the motion and mass cancels out. The shape has an impact and volume but not mass.

Note the ratio of drag to weight
Reply 1538

The force will be the same for any given velocity, but the acceleration will be different since F=ma.
Original post by Jkn
Note the ratio of drag to weight

Drag F=12mVCdv2A F= \frac{1}{2}\frac{m}{V}C_d v^2 A

Weight mg mg

Ratio is independent of mass...

Quick Reply

Latest