The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nukethemaly
Eeeep, let's all ace this apparently "hard" replacement paper :biggrin:

That's my intention but I've still got Chemistry to worry about too :redface: I've probably only done like 4-5 C3 papers which is far lower than what I'd normally do, I'm sure it'll be enough though :tongue:
Original post by nukethemaly
Eeeep, let's all ace this apparently "hard" replacement paper :biggrin:

Let's look at the scenarios:

(1) The paper is very hard and the grade boundaries are lower.
(2) The paper is ok and the grade boundaries are as usual.
(3) The paper is very easy and the grade boundaries are higher.

For all 3 of these scenarios there will be a subsection of the cohort who is not happy.

I personally think it's a case of keeping cool, working on your areas of weakness and not psyching yourself out prior to the exam on something you are guessing about. (That is a general message rather than specific to you).
Good luck :smile:
Original post by m4ths/maths247
Let's look at the scenarios:

(1) The paper is very hard and the grade boundaries are lower.
(2) The paper is ok and the grade boundaries are as usual.
(3) The paper is very easy and the grade boundaries are higher.

For all 3 of these scenarios there will be a subsection of the cohort who is not happy.

I personally think it's a case of keeping cool, working on your areas of weakness and not psyching yourself out prior to the exam on something you are guessing about. (That is a general message rather than specific to you).
Good luck :smile:

Thanks for this, I've learnt from first hand experience that the exams tend to not be that hard, even when its a challenging paper however when you start to panic your performance just drops dramatically, its more about keeping your cool during the exam while answering the questions. It won't really matter that much how much previous practice you've had if you mess it all up on the actual day, like I did for M2 last week and C3 in January, hopefully this'll be my time :redface:
integration is SO long!
been doing it this whole weekend and im only on exercise 6c! haven't even started past papers :/
Reply 2464
Hey guys I know this is basic stuff but for the C3 JAN 08 paper Q)7)c)

I get up to (2x+0.927...)= - 2pi, - pi, 0, pi, 2pi.
But I messed up trying to find the values of x.

I divided all the answers by 2, then did minus 0.927...

I know you could have just put it all in the calculator at the same time but can anyone tell me why this is wrong?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MathsNerd1
Thanks for this, I've learnt from first hand experience that the exams tend to not be that hard, even when its a challenging paper however when you start to panic your performance just drops dramatically, its more about keeping your cool during the exam while answering the questions. It won't really matter that much how much previous practice you've had if you mess it all up on the actual day, like I did for M2 last week and C3 in January, hopefully this'll be my time :redface:

Indeed.
We can't help nerves. We can though decide which conversations to get into with ourselves and others!
I think anything that detracts from revision and keeping cool is counterproductive. :smile:
Everybody will have a panic or a wobble but for me its about enduring the wobbles and panics that I have to rather than those I create. :wink:
Original post by Story

I know you could have just put it all in the calculator at the same time but can anyone tell me why this is wrong?

If you divide by 2 first then you should only minus half of 0.927 as you've already divided each value by 2. It'll be less confusing to minus the 0.927 first and then divide your answers by 2.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Story

If you divided by 2 first you'd half to minus 0.927...2\dfrac{0.927...}{2} instead.

tbh, one of the main reason I tend to do well in maths exams is because I rarely get nervous or stresses out during exams, for some reason, even if the situation looks bad.

Maybe my nervous system is ****ed up or something, but I'm definitely not complaining :lol:
Reply 2469
If you divide by 2 first then you should only minus half of 0.927 as you've already divided each value by 2. It'll be less confusing to minus the 0.927 first and then divide your answers by 2.

Original post by reubenkinara
If you divided by 2 first you'd half to minus 0.927...2\dfrac{0.927...}{2} instead.

Thank you! I think I just got confused with BIDMAS?

Can I take this as a general rule and minus it first...or should I just put it in the calculator all at once?
Original post by Story
Thank you! I think I just got confused with BIDMAS?

Can I take this as a general rule and minus it first...or should I just put it in the calculator all at once?

I don't really see it as a rule
:smile: It's just algebra
if you have 2x+3=72x+3=7, you say 2x+33=732x+3-3=7-3 thus 2x=42x=4 and x=2x=2.
In a similar way, you solve for θ\theta in trig equations :smile:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by justinawe
tbh, one of the main reason I tend to do well in maths exams is because I rarely get nervous or stresses out during exams, for some reason, even if the situation looks bad.

Maybe my nervous system is ****ed up or something, but I'm definitely not complaining :lol:

I thought I was the same but found out last week and in January that I do even though I always go into my exams extremely calm, I'll not let it hinder my performance anymore though!
I thought I was the same but found out last week and in January that I do even though I always go into my exams extremely calm, I'll not let it hinder my performance anymore though!

Going into exams calm is very important as well, some can't even manage that :tongue:

If you're able to keep your cool when **** hits the fan, though, you'll succeed for sure. I'd probably get awful grades if I was a bundle of nerves before and during exams like some people are.
Going into exams calm is very important as well, some can't even manage that :tongue:

If you're able to keep your cool when **** hits the fan, though, you'll succeed for sure. I'd probably get awful grades if I was a bundle of nerves before and during exams like some people are.

Yeah, my classmates walk in absolutely terrified! Some even start to break into tears! I tend to stay cool most of the times until afterwards when I hear people get different answers to me, then I feel stupid for messing up when D-E grade students can get it but I can't -.-
Yeah, my classmates walk in absolutely terrified! Some even start to break into tears! I tend to stay cool most of the times until afterwards when I hear people get different answers to me, then I feel stupid for messing up when D-E grade students can get it but I can't -.-

Well, if I had to choose, I'd much rather freak out after the exam than during it :tongue:
Well, if I had to choose, I'd much rather freak out after the exam than during it :tongue:

I agree, it just doesn't help if you've got another exam after it or the next day as I tend to dwell on my foolish mistakes, I'll have to put that aside this time as I've got Chemistry on Wednesday and C3 on Thursday, so I won't be on TSR until Friday so I don't know how poorly I've done :tongue:
Reply 2476
if tan(x+pi/6)= tan(pi-x)

x= 5pi/12

how do you get the second value of X within the range of 0<x<pi

its meant to be 11pi/12
Original post by yaboy
if tan(x+pi/6)= tan(pi-x)

x= 5pi/12

how do you get the second value of X within the range of 0<x<pi

its meant to be 11pi/12

What do you know about the periodicity of the tan function? How often does it cycle?

There is a cracking bit on this topic in Bostock and Chandler Core maths which seems to have been left out of newer textbooks.
Reply 2478
I agree, it just doesn't help if you've got another exam after it or the next day as I tend to dwell on my foolish mistakes, I'll have to put that aside this time as I've got Chemistry on Wednesday and C3 on Thursday, so I won't be on TSR until Friday so I don't know how poorly I've done :tongue:

Good idea, I might stay off TSR until I start my C4, Chem 4 and Phys 4 revision from Thursday.

Hopefully I won't get stuck on any Chem 5 stuff until then.
Original post by Better
Good idea, I might stay off TSR until I start my C4, Chem 4 and Phys 4 revision from Thursday.

Hopefully I won't get stuck on any Chem 5 stuff until then.

Yeah, I just see it as not being able to panic as I'll not know how anyone else found it and shouldn't make me panic that much really

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply