The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham grant :(

Well I'd been hoping to receive the durham
grant of £3000 but the website now says its only for students living in college campus! I'm a mature student with a home and pets sl definitely can't move into student digs! Anyone know if Durham offer any other types of grants? I'm gonna have to work more hours a week to compensate for the 3k loss otherwise!
Original post by aesir22
grant of £3000 but the website now says its only for students living in college campus! I'm a mature student with a home and pets sl definitely can't move into student digs! Anyone know if Durham offer any other types of grants? I'm gonna have to work more hours a week to compensate for the 3k loss otherwise!

Most of the information you should need should be here:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance/loans/

If in doubt, try e-mailing [email protected]

In addition, there's this:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/student.finance/undergraduates/hardship/
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
It actually says you must live in college in your first and final year HOWEVER you can get permission from your college to live out and still get the grant. As Awoodrow2 said: email them directly to confirm that.
I also wondered this. I'm pretty sure we will receive it though. I remember emailing my College about me living at home and not in halls and they said it was fine. Although, I did not mention it in terms of the Grant. But I assume it's the same thing: if they're giving you permission to move out, you should therefore receive the grant.

It would help me greatly!

I'm also applying for the Robert Young Scholarship.

Let me know how you do (with the emailing and finding out).

Edit: I have also emailed. I'll let you know how it turns out upon receiving their response! (I emailed the Finance department and my College)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies everyone. I hope I am still eligible lol it'd be a major help! I've still not received anything from my college are they meant to send a welcome letter or something?
Original post by aesir22
Thanks for the replies everyone. I hope I am still eligible lol it'd be a major help! I've still not received anything from my college are they meant to send a welcome letter or something?

I'm afraid you might have to wait til July/August kind of time for any welcome letters or similar. :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by aesir22

I know that my household income meets criteria as I will receive all maximum help from student finance loans, grants etc. I am presuming that Durham will contact me about my eligibility for the 3k bursary sometime before start of term. I too am a mature student who will be living at home whilst studying. I emailed my college to confirm this and they said thanks for informing them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
My partner is in exactly the same situation but has been told that he will be eligible for the Durham Grant. First, you should contact your college outlining your reasons as to why staying in college would not be an option i.e. being a mature student, you need somewhere to live 12 months a year. Then, tell them what difference the grant will make to your life as a student i.e. you will be able to focus more on studying rather than needing to work part time alongside it. If your college then agrees that you will still be eligible for the grant, then you should email the university finance office and confirm this with them. Fingers crossed it will work out for you! Re. contact: the old bursary system automatically allocated the bursary to you if you were eligible and, when you completed your student loan forms, agreed for the information to be shared with your university. They will probably write to and/or email you after offers have been confirmed telling you about it. Hope this helps.
Reply 8
Do you reckon I should email now or wait to hear from my college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aesir22
Do you reckon I should email now or wait to hear from my college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Emailing now can't hurt - and it gives them time to get everything sorted if extra paperwork needs to be done.
Reply 10
I know I qualify for the grant and I have informed college that I will be living at home in my 1st year at university. Do you still need to contact the university about the grant. I have been under the impression that Durham contact you towards the start of term to inform you of your entitlement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by add4
I know I qualify for the grant and I have informed college that I will be living at home in my 1st year at university. Do you still need to contact the university about the grant. I have been under the impression that Durham contact you towards the start of term to inform you of your entitlement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true but I think if you're 'living out' then its worth contacting them to let them know etc.

As far as I know the grant means you pay less on your halls bill.

Obviously if you're not in halls then I would imagine that a copy of the college's permission would need to be filed in the grant office and alternative arrangements made for the grant payment.

Quick Reply

Latest