The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2480
Original post by m4ths/maths247
What do you know about the periodicity of the tan function? How often does it cycle?

There is a cracking bit on this topic in Bostock and Chandler Core maths which seems to have been left out of newer textbooks.

I know how to draw it but Im useto using the cast diagram and that seems to be pretty useless atm.
Reply 2481
Original post by yaboy
I know how to draw it but Im useto using the cast diagram and that seems to be pretty useless atm.

the graph method is easier.
Original post by nukethemaly
Thanks dude. I'm on paper F now :biggrin:

Hows your revision going?

yeeh not too bad !! stressing about physics more than maths tbh :frown: ... i finished the C3 soloman papers, so i just had a lil go at paper A again to see if i learn from my mistakes, and guess what i did :biggrin: i got 100% and finished the paper under 40 mins !! just seriously hope i do this in the real exam :frown:
do you guys think there's any point in doing solomon papers for c4 at this point?
I'm going to start edexcel papers tomorrow (yep, I haven't done a single paper yet) and I'm not sure if I should do any solomon papers.
Original post by PoorLoser
do you guys think there's any point in doing solomon papers for c4 at this point?
I'm going to start edexcel papers tomorrow (yep, I haven't done a single paper yet) and I'm not sure if I should do any solomon papers.

I'd like to know the same thing :tongue:

In the exact same situation!
Original post by MathsNerd1
Thanks for this, I've learnt from first hand experience that the exams tend to not be that hard, even when its a challenging paper however when you start to panic your performance just drops dramatically, its more about keeping your cool during the exam while answering the questions. It won't really matter that much how much previous practice you've had if you mess it all up on the actual day, like I did for M2 last week and C3 in January, hopefully this'll be my time :redface:

Agreed, like in the physics unit 1 retake I did this year, I seriously had a lot of practice but that paper seemed impossible and not being able to do a few questions threw me off soo badly that I think i underperformed in the ones that I could've done well on
Original post by posthumus
I'd like to know the same thing :tongue:

In the exact same situation!

I haven't done any Solomon for C4 yet, but I have done all the Edexcel papers and from what I've heard apparently the Edexcel papers for C4 are harder than the Solomons, so if you feel like you don't have enough time then stick to what you know and do the Edexcel papers only! And then go through the textbook for topics you're weak at
Reply 2487
Original post by masryboy94
yeeh not too bad !! stressing about physics more than maths tbh :frown: ... i finished the C3 soloman papers, so i just had a lil go at paper A again to see if i learn from my mistakes, and guess what i did :biggrin: i got 100% and finished the paper under 40 mins !! just seriously hope i do this in the real exam :frown:

Lol Physics should be fine.

My only concern is C4 and Chem 4 atm.

As long as I keep my cool, and sleep well, I should be fine in Chem 5 Phys 5, C4 and next week Phys 4.
Original post by masryboy94

Yay well done! Don't worry you're more than prepared for C3/C4 focus on your physics for a while. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Better

As long as I keep my cool, and sleep well, I should be fine in Chem 5 Phys 5, C4 and next week Phys 4.

which i could say the samee ! but it really isn't fine :frown: hmmm yeh truee ! i just have to not panic
Original post by nukethemaly
Yay well done! Don't worry you're more than prepared for C3/C4 focus on your physics for a while. Good luck :smile:

thank you :biggrin:, you think so? i wanna do abit more revision to be certain, especially with C4, but yeh for my physics for thursday, im gnna concentrate on it, been doing it this whole weekend, and understand quite alot actually lol :biggrin:
Quick question;
when im solving for tan(f(x)) = 0 do I consider the asymptotes of the graph or do consider where tan crosses the x-axis?

thanks.
Original post by m4ths/maths247
Let's look at the scenarios:

(1) The paper is very hard and the grade boundaries are lower.
(2) The paper is ok and the grade boundaries are as usual.
(3) The paper is very easy and the grade boundaries are higher.

For all 3 of these scenarios there will be a subsection of the cohort who is not happy.

I personally think it's a case of keeping cool, working on your areas of weakness and not psyching yourself out prior to the exam on something you are guessing about. (That is a general message rather than specific to you).
Good luck :smile:

I'd still rather it was scenario 2 or 3, because if it's a very hard paper then I'm certain I'll be thrown off and might not even be able to do the easy stuff because I'm down about the harder stuff!

But thank you!
Original post by Better

hey :smile: how has chem been? Set for this exam? I was reading the Jan 13 examiner report after you said and then the previous ones.

Howdid you do/find last Junes paper?
Reply 2494
Original post by MedMed12
hey :smile: how has chem been? Set for this exam? I was reading the Jan 13 examiner report after you said and then the previous ones.

Howdid you do/find last Junes paper?

For Chem 5:
Specimen: 86/100
Jun 10: 91/100
Jun 11: 86/100 (may re-do if I have time)
Jun 11: 85/100
Jan 12: Just marked 90/100 (need to ask for help on this one)

Jun 12: 76/100 Need to re-do
Jan 13: 77/100 - Need to re-do (teacher said he marked like an Examiner)

Haven't done any Chem 4 yet, apart from when I did them in Jan, but before I had no concept of doing papers Timed, I would do them in such a random way.
Original post by Better
For Chem 5:
Specimen: 86/100
Jun 10: 91/100
Jun 11: 86/100 (may re-do if I have time)
Jun 11: 85/100
Jan 12: Just marked 90/100 (need to ask for help on this one)

Jun 12: 76/100 Need to re-do
Jan 13: 77/100 - Need to re-do (teacher said he marked like an Examiner)

Haven't done any Chem 4 yet, apart from when I did them in Jan, but before I had no concept of doing papers Timed, I would do them in such a random way.

Not bad Not bad :smile:

I'e ranged in the 80s, lowest was 78 I think and highest 90. Jan 13 going to do again tomorrow-got 59 when I did it in class :P really hoping it is similar to the june paper because if we can get full UMS in this like some of the others,we dont have to worry for unit 4 :/ unless its for the A*.

Hopefully we'll be okay :smile:
Reply 2496
Original post by MedMed12
Not bad Not bad :smile:

I'e ranged in the 80s, lowest was 78 I think and highest 90. Jan 13 going to do again tomorrow-got 59 when I did it in class :P really hoping it is similar to the june paper because if we can get full UMS in this like some of the others,we dont have to worry for unit 4 :/ unless its for the A*.

Hopefully we'll be okay :smile:

Yeah if you can re-do 59. Just so in your head your head you know you completely Bossed, the Exam which was supposed to be impossible. I'm finding it's not as hard as I think, like I just marked Jan 2012, and I got the lost 3/4 marks on the last question because I was like omg why are there so many words here. " :O Why so many word? "

I looked at the markscheme and it wasn't too bad :/ :/

Well yeah I think if I'm going to work this hard I might as well try for an A* so I really need to find a way to get these Chem 4 Papers done. Just need that 55+/60 !

I hope all of the Gods of every religion give me strength this week.... Any sister sleep time for me

Let's own this week!!!!
Reply 2497
Just for the lol's, night all!

BM.jpg
Reply 2498
Has anybody done the old practice specimen papers? They seem alot harder than the recent C4 papers
Reply 2499
Is c3 solomon paper worth doing? Coz i am afraid i dont have much time to finish them all @@

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply