The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

He probably had to google Keane to even see who he was.

That said, he probably didn't even do that.

In other news, Dennis Irwin has now come out and said we will 'move heaven and earth' to sign Fabregas.

This link won't go away,still think its our way of pushing a better chance to getg Thiago because i cant see Fabregas coming here

Also said

"Nani will go to Monaco and Patrice Evra may well return to the same club, from whom he joined United," Irwin added. "I’ve also heard a word that the new manager might have Luke Shaw at the top of his list. The teenage Southampton full-back is the latest in a long line of prodigies from that club’s excellent youth system."
(edited 10 years ago)
Former Manchester United defender Denis Irwin has claimed the club ‘are going to move heaven and earth’ in their bid to sign Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas this summer.

"Cesc Fabregas has zoomed up Manchester United’s transfer target list to the top position and the champions are going to move heaven and earth to get him," he told the Sunday World newspaper.

"The Barcelona star wants out of the Nou Camp and United want him badly, so the deal should be done easily enough. Fabregas is just the sort of all-action midfield player United need if they are to make a run at next season’s Champions League.

"Cesc won’t be short of offers for I believe this is going to be a transfer season where eye-boggling amounts of money will be spent."

Irwin also predicted United will make a bid for Everton’s Leighton Baines and Southampton’s Luke Shaw, while suggesting winger Nani and Patrice Evra will leave Old Trafford this summer as new boss David Moyes prepares to take over from Sir Alex Ferguson.

"Nani will go to Monaco and Patrice Evra may well return to the same club, from whom he joined United," Irwin added. "I’ve also heard a word that the new manager might have Luke Shaw at the top of his list. The teenage Southampton full-back is the latest in a long line of prodigies from that club’s excellent youth system."

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football...gas_88225.html
Denis Irwin is such a joker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDy0pCwCUTU 0.48 - "Any beers around?"
You guys are deluded if you think Fabregas is leaving Barca, let alone for you lot. :rofl2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
He won't move i guarantee it. Thiago perhaps but no way Cesc moves back this season.
What are people's views of Nani and Anderson? Both have been at the club for 6 years now - at their peak years at 25 and 26.

Anderson cost 30mil euros and Nani was 25mil euros (55mil euros, which was about £36mil in July 2007 - rate if £1 = 1.5 euro).

Were they worth the money? Decent/great/flops?
Reply 4926
Is Irwin still involved with the club in any way? :holmes:

Also, I'm not sure whether this has been discussed already, but I was wondering what the general opinion was regarding this Cabaye rumour. :colondollar:
Original post by CB91
You guys are deluded if you think Fabregas is leaving Barca, let alone for you lot. :rofl2:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Following multiple, reliable rumours = not deluded

"Omg lol he will never sign for you lot" = deluded
Original post by Zerforax
What are people's views of Nani and Anderson? Both have been at the club for 6 years now - at their peak years at 25 and 26.

Anderson cost 30mil euros and Nani was 25mil euros (55mil euros, which was about £36mil in July 2007 - rate if £1 = 1.5 euro).

Anderson's best position is the spearhead of a midfield three. Under SAF's 4-4-2, he's never quite fitted in. Maybe he'll fare better under Moyes but even in his best position, I don't think he's good enough to be a starter in 40+ games for us. Still love the guy though; he loves the club and the fans (and SAF) respect that.

As for Nani, people will laugh at me for saying this but he really is just the push of a button from being one of the best wingers in the world. The guy is so talented ffs.

We may have slightly overpaid for Anderson, but both were definitely worth the punt. They both had excellent seasons in 07/08 considering the conditions; but their inconsistent development since has been annoying.
Original post by Zerforax

As has been said Anderson is supposed to play the tip of the spear he was a flair player even a goalscorer, we moved him back at a crucial stage in his career and his injuries. I'd say he was a wasted player rather than a flop as its caused in part by United. Like us playing De Gea at LB then saying he's an £18m flop.

Nani is just strange on form he can tear teams apart in the same way Robben can. Problem is the difference in his play on form and off form. Off form he's near useless, selfish and poor in his decisions. Nani is half a step from being one of the best player in the league for sure. Problem is he's made and regressed the half a step every season for the last 2-3 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get rid of Anderson his first season thought he was going to be an amazing player
The Sun needs to up its revenues it seems

Original post by Tommyjw

LOL, I don't know what I noticed first. The shocking grammatical error, or the story itself.
Original post by Tommyjw

I'd say bull****, but in this case I think bull-diarrhoea would be more apt.
does anyone else just think it would be weird to see Van persie and fabregas combining for united? just wouldnt seem right :s-smilie:
Original post by manchesterunited15
does anyone else just think it would be weird to see Van persie and fabregas combining for united? just wouldnt seem right :s-smilie:

Arsenal are the only club that can sign Fabregas in reality because of various clauses. Even if you bid 60m, Arsenal can have him for 30.1m. Not that Fabregas would ever join Utd anyway.
Reply 4936
Original post by Cutmeloose
LOL, I don't know what I noticed first. The shocking grammatical error, or the story itself.

I thought it was a grammatical error at first as well but then I realised it's in note form (the form headlines are written in) not 'full sentence' form. Nevertheless, it still sounds weird. They should have said,"That is date" instead of, "That's date" because it just sounds so grammatically incorrect and weird. But what do you expect from the Sun?
Reply 4937
Original post by Tommyjw

When did they print this?
Original post by qasidb
When did they print this?

No idea, saw it doing the rounds yesterday so i assume it would be todays. Don't get close enough to those dreadful papers to know if its been printed or not.
Original post by Zürich
Arsenal are the only club that can sign Fabregas in reality because of various clauses. Even if you bid 60m, Arsenal can have him for 30.1m. Not that Fabregas would ever join Utd anyway.

Disagree with your analysis.

Yes Arsenal have this reported 50% sell on fee so they can pay less money for him but you've ignored the bit about Arsenal receiving 30mil if Man Utd were to bid for him.

So the actual choice would be:
Man Utd bid 60mil (and Arsenal would receive 30mil); or
Arsenal could bid 30mil.

So the net effect between the two choices in terms of finances is some 60mil (+ wages) for Arsenal - either receive 30mil or spend 30mil - which is a 60mil difference.

It's not an easy decision to make by Arsenal - Fabregas would want huge wages (circa 100-175k no doubt) which would impact Arsenal's wage structure too.

Latest