The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Religious Studies - Thursday 6th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Username_valid
You need 320ums overall to get an A. So if you get 90ums in each of the AS papers you need 320-180=140ums in the A2 papers- so 70ums in each or so. For the A* you have to get 320ums overall - so an A, but you have to average 90ums in the A2 modules.

Hello! I got around 140 UMS at As which was a high C (it was lower than 140- but use this to work out) I am wondering what I need to get in A2 to get a B or C :smile: thank you much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hannahm1995
Hello! I got around 140 UMS at As which was a high C (it was lower than 140- but use this to work out) I am wondering what I need to get in A2 to get a B or C :smile: thank you much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, to get a B you need 280/400. You've already got 140ums so you need another 140ums in the two a2 papers to get a B overall. So you need to average a B (about 70ums in each paper or however else you can get 140ums). To get a C you need 240 overall so you need another 100ums in the two a2 papers. Hope this helps.
Hi, to get a B you need 280/400. You've already got 140ums so you need another 140ums in the two a2 papers to get a B overall. So you need to average a B (about 70ums in each paper or however else you can get 140ums). To get a C you need 240 overall so you need another 100ums in the two a2 papers. Hope this helps.

Thank you :smile: big help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 523
Did anyone answer the questions on Wiles Miracles and the Life after Death? If so how did you answer them? I found Wiles Miracles wasn't too bad, but struggled a bit on Life after Death, just sort of ran out of things to say!
Reply 524
You need 320ums overall to get an A. So if you get 90ums in each of the AS papers you need 320-180=140ums in the A2 papers- so 70ums in each or so. For the A* you have to get 320ums overall - so an A, but you have to average 90ums in the A2 modules.

Thankss so much !!

- The ums are a little confusing so do you know what grades I would have to get in both modules to be on a A or an A* overall ??
Reply 525
Original post by GCCC
Did anyone answer the questions on Wiles Miracles and the Life after Death? If so how did you answer them? I found Wiles Miracles wasn't too bad, but struggled a bit on Life after Death, just sort of ran out of things to say!

- To be honest this paper was extremely hard and narrow and chose the life after death and symbolic question

- And I linked augustines idea of the problem of evil ( we are seminally present in gods sin) I linked that to platos analogy of the chariot showing that just because there is evil this doesn't take away the fact there is a after life

- Also talked about rational explanations the problem evil is as a result to moral and environmental factors there is no life after death to justify this

pretty much waffled

what about you ?
Original post by angel_25
Thankss so much !!

- The ums are a little confusing so do you know what grades I would have to get in both modules to be on a A or an A* overall ??

No problem. If you're on 180ums then you need to average a low B at least (in fact you need to just scrape a B). For the A* you have to get A* in the A2 modules regardless of what you've already got. Hope this makes sense.
For the question on the 'justification of the existence of evil if there is no afterlife' I could only really include one scholar? (can't even remember which now). But talked partly about rebirth etc which I couldn't really include anything for.
Hoping I built up a good argument based on common sense but what did everyone else do for that question?
Reply 528
What did people write for Boethius and Virtue Ethics + Business? :smile:
Original post by angel_25
- To be honest this paper was extremely hard and narrow and chose the life after death and symbolic question

- And I linked augustines idea of the problem of evil ( we are seminally present in gods sin) I linked that to platos analogy of the chariot showing that just because there is evil this doesn't take away the fact there is a after life

- Also talked about rational explanations the problem evil is as a result to moral and environmental factors there is no life after death to justify this

pretty much waffled

what about you ?

Hi, I did the life after death question, and I have got to say, that one question left me thinking what to write four like 10 minutes! I never revised the last chapter of my ocr book on life death and soul, and our teacher briefly taught on it, as it was thought it was the most unlikely topic to come up. So, when I answered this one...I was just writing from my head I talked about
1. Reincarnation- how a person's evil can be justified if they're being evil now, and then in the next life their evil actions will be justified by them being punished, but if there is no life after death, it cannot
2. The evilness in this world, whether it be natural or moral (Augustine), would not be justified to the believes of Jesus christ, as there would not be any heaven for them to go to if there's no life after death
And that's all I can remember, although, I'm sure I brought in some other stuff as I did a lot of pages... Does this sound correct? I'm really worried about this question! Does the textbook like indicate a way in which to answer such a question on the topic? Praying for a grade B
Original post by scareddotcom
For the question on the 'justification of the existence of evil if there is no afterlife' I could only really include one scholar? (can't even remember which now). But talked partly about rebirth etc which I couldn't really include anything for.
Hoping I built up a good argument based on common sense but what did everyone else do for that question?

Hi, I was a bit puzzled on this question, and I hadn't ever revised life death and soul, nor was I taught it in an in depth way, but here's what I brought into the essay!
1. Reincarnation- how a person's evil can be justified if they're being evil now, and then in the next life their evil actions will be justified by them being punished, but if there is no life after death, it cannot
2. The evilness in this world, whether it be natural or moral (Augustine), would not be justified to the believes of Jesus christ, as there would not be any heaven for them to go to if there's no life after death
And that's all I can remember, although, I'm sure I brought in some other stuff as I did a lot of pages... Does this sound correct? I'm really worried about this question! Does the textbook like indicate a way in which to answer such a question on the topic? Praying for a grade B
Reply 531
Original post by copril
I did! :smile: I didn't bother to put that bit a minute ago because he's a bit of weird soft determinist isn't he? Free will in the noumenal realm and all that. So Kant linked them both together I think... Can't remember any more haha. :smile:

Yeah thats brill :smile:
Reply 532
Original post by scareddotcom

You first of all talk about the probelm of evil and how Evangelical Christians and the Roman Catholics say God cant send anyone to hell. Sinburne says that there has to be bad in the world so that we can make good decisions. John Calvin believed in Predestination and how our life on earth is just a reflection of what God has chosen for us.

You can then talk about how the Theodices place a lot of emphasis on life after death to solve the problem of evil....so talk about the Ireneaus and Augustine Theodicies.

You can then mention Swinburne and Hick...

And you can talk about Reincarnation and the Laws of Karma, and how this life is just a result of out good or bad acts in the last. And if we act well in this life we will not be born into suffering in out next.

I think these are the main points that would have been best to mention. I hope this makes sense :smile: and i am not talking complete rubbish.
Reply 533
Original post by matildaor
Yeah thats brill :smile:

Cool. Errgh, I hate exams haha. :smile:
Original post by matildaor
You first of all talk about the probelm of evil and how Evangelical Christians and the Roman Catholics say God cant send anyone to hell. Sinburne says that there has to be bad in the world so that we can make good decisions. John Calvin believed in Predestination and how our life on earth is just a reflection of what God has chosen for us.

You can then talk about how the Theodices place a lot of emphasis on life after death to solve the problem of evil....so talk about the Ireneaus and Augustine Theodicies.

You can then mention Swinburne and Hick...

And you can talk about Reincarnation and the Laws of Karma, and how this life is just a result of out good or bad acts in the last. And if we act well in this life we will not be born into suffering in out next.

I think these are the main points that would have been best to mention. I hope this makes sense :smile: and i am not talking complete rubbish.

Hi. I never revised life death and soul at all, and our teacher briefly taught on it...so what I wrote from this question was just stuff from the top of my head :frown:
I talked about
1. Reincarnation- how the evil of someone can be justified if the reason they are evil is because they were reincarnated like so, but if there is no life after death, then there would not be any reincarnation and therefore no reason for people to ever be evil or some poo?
2. If there's no life after death, then there's no hell or heaven, and i there's no hell or heaven, then the people who're evil in this lifetime, will not get what they deserve in the life after by going to hell
3. For Christians who followed Jesus Christ, but yet suffered from things such as natural and moral evil (brought in Augustine) the evil that they endured would not be justified as there would not be any heaven for the to enter due to there not being an after life in which heaven would exist in
4. A person would not be able to justify their evil doings here on planet earth, if there's no afterlife, as it is in the after life that we presumably meet with God, and according to Christian-Jew teaching, (as well as Islam and probably some other religions), God is the one and only just law giver, and if we can't meet with him due to there being no life after death, a person who did evil in this world cannot expect their evil to be justified as they would not receive the opportunity to be in the presence of God in the afterlife.

HOW BAD IS THIS?
I wrote about five pages...I would have done the other questions, but, I knew nothing on them either. So, I thought, this question seemed quite open to urmm, interpretation? So I chose this one. What do you think of it :confused:. I'm scared to tell my teacher what I wrote, due to hearing what her response would be.. I need a grade B!

ps- don't acknowledge onto the bad spelling too much please. I'm typing whilst in bed, and with one hand
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 535
Original post by studentgrace
Sexual ethics came up in January, i'm not sure if you were aware or not. Also, sexual ethics has come up on 6 past papers, I mean I would love for there to be one but I'm not that sure. Whereas business and environmental have only been up 4 times each. It's very risky for you school to leave them out.

I predict environmental, it hasn't been up in a year and business and sexual came up in January just my thought though. Also, I see a predestination question to be very likely or determinism of some kind. :smile:

could not believe two business and envrioment questions came up! literally had no choice...:frown: i dont think ethics went as well as philosophy did.
Reply 536
Original post by Applepie:)
Hi, I did the life after death question, and I have got to say, that one question left me thinking what to write four like 10 minutes! I never revised the last chapter of my ocr book on life death and soul, and our teacher briefly taught on it, as it was thought it was the most unlikely topic to come up. So, when I answered this one...I was just writing from my head I talked about

Yeah I would say that is a B you made some pretty good relevant points

- Reincarnation is a BIG philosophical justification which I sadly forgot

- And augustines problem of evil is pretty relevant

Im sure you hit that B if you heavily explained and analysed with a good conclusion

Good luck !!
Reply 537
Original post by Applepie:)
Hi. I never revised life death and soul at all, and our teacher briefly taught on it...so what I wrote from this question was just stuff from the top of my head :frown:
I talked about
1. Reincarnation- how the evil of someone can be justified if the reason they are evil is because they were reincarnated like so, but if there is no life after death, then there would not be any reincarnation and therefore no reason for people to ever be evil or some poo?
2. If there's no life after death, then there's no hell or heaven, and i there's no hell or heaven, then the people who're evil in this lifetime, will not get what they deserve in the life after by going to hell
3. For Christians who followed Jesus Christ, but yet suffered from things such as natural and moral evil (brought in Augustine) the evil that they endured would not be justified as there would not be any heaven for the to enter due to there not being an after life in which heaven would exist in
4. A person would not be able to justify their evil doings here on planet earth, if there's no afterlife, as it is in the after life that we presumably meet with God, and according to Christian-Jew teaching, (as well as Islam and probably some other religions), God is the one and only just law giver, and if we can't meet with him due to there being no life after death, a person who did evil in this world cannot expect their evil to be justified as they would not receive the opportunity to be in the presence of God in the afterlife.

HOW BAD IS THIS?
I wrote about five pages...I would have done the other questions, but, I knew nothing on them either. So, I thought, this question seemed quite open to urmm, interpretation? So I chose this one. What do you think of it :confused:. I'm scared to tell my teacher what I wrote, due to hearing what her response would be.. I need a grade B!

ps- don't acknowledge onto the bad spelling too much please. I'm typing whilst in bed, and with one hand

That all seems fine, to be honest you got in the main points anyway. So i guess we will just have to see...

I think as long as you got in the Theodicies then thats the most important part because they prove the problem of evil and suffering because we have a life after death.

But i looks like you did mention all the right content, especially to get a B

i need to get an B in Phil and Ethics this year to get an A overall, otherwise no uni for me :P
Original post by xMr_BrightSide

Woah, what's with the neg?

Sorry - I'm not sure who that was, but it was not me. I've rectified it anyway - you've got a thumbs up from me!

I hope we've all recovered now - there's nothing more we can do, so let's just cross-fingers/pray/dance that the result isn't terrible.
To get an A* do you have to get over 90 UMS in both modules, or just in total? Like, if you got 100 in ethics but 85 in philosophy would that be an A or an A*?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending