The Student Room Group

Will these grades be accepted?

The two unis I want to go to require AAA. However, I don't think unis will like my a-level choices so I'm going to do four next year. If, hypothetically, I was to get AAAB, would I still get in to those unis, or would they turn me down bc I got a B at the end of year 13? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
AAAB is technically better than AAA. It still meets the AAA requirement. If you are given an offer of AAA and scored AAAB you'd get in.

As for whether your subjects are acceptable or not, that depends on the university and the course. Have you checked if the courses accept your A level combination?

The university will look at more than just your grades. They won't automatically turn you down because you got a B in something.
Reply 2
Original post by Zottula
AAAB is technically better than AAA. It still meets the AAA requirement. If you are given an offer of AAA and scored AAAB you'd get in.

As for whether your subjects are acceptable or not, that depends on the university and the course. Have you checked if the courses accept your A level combination?

The university will look at more than just your grades. They won't automatically turn you down because you got a B in something.

thanks! I was just a little worried because I don't think I'm doing as well in a facilitated subject and so I'm just considering whether to continue it or not... but thanks anyways xD
Reply 3
Original post by lilacwanda28
thanks! I was just a little worried because I don't think I'm doing as well in a facilitated subject and so I'm just considering whether to continue it or not... but thanks anyways xD

Perhaps you could tell us which subjects you are currently studying, where you want to go and which course? Someone on here might be familiar with the courses you are looking at and be able to help more.
Reply 4
Original post by Zottula
Perhaps you could tell us which subjects you are currently studying, where you want to go and which course? Someone on here might be familiar with the courses you are looking at and be able to help more.

I'm doing English Lit, English Lang, Drama and Spanish. I'm thinking of dropping Spanish but I don't think those three choices are strong enough to get me to a Russel Group uni. :frown:
Reply 5
Question what will be the best uni for me. I have Geography Modern World History and Politics. I have been looking as lincoln university for their dual history and politics course but i am worried as they only accept AAA. Which is a problem as i only currently have a C in the Geography.
Reply 6
I'm doing English Lit, English Lang, Drama and Spanish. I'm thinking of dropping Spanish but I don't think those three choices are strong enough to get me to a Russel Group uni. :frown:

They might be ok depending on what you want to study. What are applying for?
Reply 7
Original post by Zottula
They might be ok depending on what you want to study. What are applying for?

I want to do an English degree (some do Lit, some do Lit and Lang and some just say English, but along those lines)
and then I want to be an English teacher. I'm just worried that RG unis will see English Language and Drama as weak subjects if I drop Spanish...:s-smilie: what do you think?
I want to do an English degree (some do Lit, some do Lit and Lang and some just say English, but along those lines)
and then I want to be an English teacher. I'm just worried that RG unis will see English Language and Drama as weak subjects if I drop Spanish...:s-smilie: what do you think?

Have you checked how the universities in which you are interested view your subjects? Many unis have lists of preferred subjects on their websites.
Reply 9

I'm not an expect in English admissions but honestly to me that sounds like a pretty good combination for an English degree!

Just look at entry requirements and see if the universities you are looking at have preferred subjects.
Original post by ageshallnot
Have you checked how the universities in which you are interested view your subjects? Many unis have lists of preferred subjects on their websites.

Original post by Zottula
I'm not an expect in English admissions but honestly to me that sounds like a pretty good combination for an English degree!

Just look at entry requirements and see if the universities you are looking at have preferred subjects.

thanks guys - I will check them out now :awesome:
Reply 11
Original post by chimera961
Question what will be the best uni for me. I have Geography Modern World History and Politics. I have been looking as lincoln university for their dual history and politics course but i am worried as they only accept AAA. Which is a problem as i only currently have a C in the Geography.

Hi!

The University of Lincoln asks for 280 UCAS points for the History and Politics BA (Hons) course. These points can be made up from a combination AS Level grades (in subjects you have not continued with to A2) and A Levels grades.

If you had 3 A Levels and no AS Levels, you would need BBC to get the 280 points required.

http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/course/hstpolub/

You can always email or call the university for advice - [email protected] 01522 88 6644

Minder
University of Lincoln
Reply 12

Thats actually a really good combination for an English degree AND an English teacher.
A girl who I study with at Nottingham did English Lit and English Lang as separate A levels. Keep doing your Spanish as languages look good.
Original post by Shelly_x
Thats actually a really good combination for an English degree AND an English teacher.

so you don't think Russel Group unis will look down on my Lit, Drama and Lang because only Lit is a facilitated subject?
Reply 15
so you don't think Russel Group unis will look down on my Lit, Drama and Lang because only Lit is a facilitated subject?

I'd be surprised if they looked down on those subjects because the subjects you are taking are directly relevant to the degree you want to do.
Original post by Zottula
I'd be surprised if they looked down on those subjects because the subjects you are taking are directly relevant to the degree you want to do.

I've just finished my AS exams but I'm really worried because I don't think they went too good - If I were to get A*A B do you think AAA courses would take me? (I know it's the same in UCAS Points, but no uni I'm applying to asks for points)
Reply 17
I've just finished my AS exams but I'm really worried because I don't think they went too good - If I were to get A*A B do you think AAA courses would take me? (I know it's the same in UCAS Points, but no uni I'm applying to asks for points)

It depends on the day. Some universities and courses are more lenient than others and it changes every year depending on how many people meet their offers. So I'm afraid I can't say. But obviously A*AB puts you in a better position than AAB or lower.
Original post by Zottula
It depends on the day. Some universities and courses are more lenient than others and it changes every year depending on how many people meet their offers. So I'm afraid I can't say. But obviously A*AB puts you in a better position than AAB or lower.

Thanks. Just another completely irrelevant question that you may or may not know the answer too, but I'm really confused on the whole A* grading process. I know it's 90% or above, but does that mean if I get an A* in my last exam then I would get A* overall even if I got a C at AS? Or if I got A* in my exam but only a B in coursework, would my A2 grade be A* overall? :confused:
Reply 19
Thanks. Just another completely irrelevant question that you may or may not know the answer too, but I'm really confused on the whole A* grading process. I know it's 90% or above, but does that mean if I get an A* in my last exam then I would get A* overall even if I got a C at AS? Or if I got A* in my exam but only a B in coursework, would my A2 grade be A* overall? :confused:

We have an article that explains A star grades at A level here. It should answer your question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending