The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 4 6BI04 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
#lifesaver
thank you!

Original post by SKK94
It is the gradual change in structure and species composition in a community.
There are two types:
- Primary
- Secondary

Primary succession:
- starts with bare rock
- pioneer species like lichen/moss appear
- they grow, with time filling up small cracks/holes in the rock
- the rocks start breaking down ( sometimes with the help of erosion as well) - organic matter starts to collect
- eventually forming humus (organic matter that cannot be broken down further)
- humus soon becomes soil
- this allows for more species, like grass to grow and develop roots
- as more water and nutrients collect in the soil, bigger plants can grow, like trees etc.
- finally a climax community is formed.

Features of a climax community:
- made up of species of animals and plants
- maximum biodiversity is reached
- biodiversity remains constants until an interruption (e.g natural disaster, human activity)

Secondary succession:
- similar to primary succession
- but starts off with soil, instead of rock
- occurs after major damage to the habitat (fire, natural disaster etc)

Note:
*a climax community formed due human intervention is known as a plagioclimax
Reply 181
Original post by nukethemaly
DNA and protein synthesis

1. Explain the nature of the genetic code (triplet code, non-overlapping and degenerate).
2. Explain the process of protein synthesis (transcription, translation messenger RNA, transfer RNA, ribosomes and the role of start and stop codons) and explain the roles of the template (antisense) DNA strand in transcription, codons on messenger RNA, anticodons on transfer RNA.
3. Explain how one gene can give rise to more than one protein through post-transcriptional changes to messenger RNA.

Could someone please briefly explain these spec points?

1. Triplet- sequence of 3 bases on DNA that determines a single amino acid
Overlapping - the triplets do not overlap which mean no base from one triplet is a part of another triplet avoiding confusion about which amino acid it is coded for
degenerate- different codons code for one amino acid. mostly the first 2 nucleotides determine the amino acid so if a point mutation occurs on the 3rd base it will not affect the type of protein.

3. post transcriptional changes lead to a greater variety in the phenotype than is coded for. Introns (non coding areas) are removed and exons (coding areas) are joined together to form a single long molecule. this is the process RNA splicing with the enzyme spliceosome). sometimes extrons are removed which leads to mRNA strands from the same DNA strand leading t slight different amino acids. So basically one gene can code for several different polypeptides due to this post transcriptional changes
hi ravz:eek::eek:
Reply 183
heyyy broooo! ready for bio???
Reply 184
Original post by CONFUSED19
I cant access it.
Do you think you could link it? :colondollar:

Message me your e-mail address then I can send you the files.
Original post by raves
heyyy broooo! ready for bio???

Do you have any good bio unit 4 notes?? i cant seem to find any :/
Reply 186
Original post by saladesilva.13
Do you have any good bio unit 4 notes?? i cant seem to find any :/

no i couldnt find any :/ just use the revision guide and our notes. don't know if thats enough though :/
Original post by raves
no i couldnt find any :/ just use the revision guide and our notes. don't know if thats enough though :/

Can u please answer this ? whats the use of antisense strand in DNA? its in the specification
Can someone please tell me the difference between Reverse transcriptase, DNA and RNA polymerase????
Reply 189
Original post by iwantopas19
Can u please answer this ? whats the use of antisense strand in DNA? its in the specification

It's the strand that contains the bases for a specific polypeptide chain. It acts as a template for the formation of mRNA (transcription), so that this information can be carried out of the nucleus, to the ribosome for translation to occur.
Reply 190
Can someone please tell me the difference between Reverse transcriptase, DNA and RNA polymerase????

The main difference is in their function:
- DNA polymerase: assembles complementary DNA nucleotides along a single DNA strand, resulting in the formation of a double-stranded DNA molecule. This enzyme is involved in DNA replication.
- RNA polymerase: assembles complementary RNA nucleotides along a single DNA strand, resulting in a molecule of mRNA. This enzyme is involved in transcription
- Reverse transcriptase: as the name suggests, it does the opposite of transcription. It assembles complementary DNA nucleotides along a molecule of RNA (viral RNA) resulting in a single strand of complementary DNA (cDNA). This enzyme is involved in viral replication in host cells.
what your definition of gene flow would be? what context / example please?
okay I know this sounds so dumb, but seriously can someone please explain me what one earth HSW is? where can I find relavanet infos about HSW which is related to our specification? :dontknow:
Reply 193
Original post by Trinitybabe

This might be helpful :smile:
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/IIIC4Geneflow.shtml

ummm? can u be more specific ?

gene : sequence of amino acids that codes for a particular protein or function.

flow: u know the meaning

basically it means the transfer of genes form one organisms to another through sexual reproduction.

for example, if a geographical barrier arises between a population of a species, means they cannot interbreed therefor no gene flow between them.
:biggrin:
Original post by SKK94
The main difference is in their function:
- DNA polymerase: assembles complementary DNA nucleotides along a single DNA strand, resulting in the formation of a double-stranded DNA molecule. This enzyme is involved in DNA replication.
- RNA polymerase: assembles complementary RNA nucleotides along a single DNA strand, resulting in a molecule of mRNA. This enzyme is involved in transcription
- Reverse transcriptase: as the name suggests, it does the opposite of transcription. It assembles complementary DNA nucleotides along a molecule of RNA (viral RNA) resulting in a single strand of complementary DNA (cDNA). This enzyme is involved in viral replication in host cells.

ANGELLLL :h::h::h::h::h: thank youuuuuuuuuuu.

okay one more thing...

difference between sense and antisense strand...

and how do we know which sampling to go for, random or systematic, i guess i asked this before also, but im not sure. :s-smilie:

Gene flow is the transfer of alleles or genes from one population to another. for example when there is a reproductive isolation (where interbreeding is prevented) between two populations of the same species, there is a restriction of gene flow whereby there are no transfer of genes from one population to another. over time, they can no longer breed together to produce fertile offspring due to the change in phenotype.

ummm? can u be more specific ?

gene : sequence of amino acids that codes for a particular protein or function.

flow: u know the meaning

basically it means the transfer of genes form one organisms to another through sexual reproduction.

for example, if a geographical barrier arises between a population of a species, means they cannot interbreed therefor no gene flow between them.
:biggrin:

thanks guys, that helps me a lot. i can t wait to get over and done with unit 4..i feel i m doing the same thing over and over..and still can t get it right..even if i understand the context...i had a terrible E in january and i need a B to get into Uni..i m kind of scared. what s your target for next uni?:s-smilie:
Reply 198
okay I know this sounds so dumb, but seriously can someone please explain me what one earth HSW is? where can I find relavanet infos about HSW which is related to our specification? :dontknow:

How Science Works. There are HSW sections in the A2 student book (green one) , for each chapter ( I don't know about the SNAB book though :s-smilie:)
Check out page 13 of the biology specification to see how to use them.
Sorry, I don't think this was very helful :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
i do not understand the difference between homozygosity and heterozygosity, and why is homozygosity caused by inbreeding? could someone pls explain :s-smilie:

one more thing... do we have to remember all methods and procedures from the unit 4 practicals?
anyone's help is very much appreciated :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending