The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Any of you lovely people got a hold of a copy of the paper? 8)

Want to see how many I've dropped but can remember the marks for each.
Reply 541
rather unlucky that they gave us 2 long, hard vectors questions!!
Reply 542
That was horrendous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qwob
Wait what? There was a point Q we had to find the coordinates of? :s-smilie:

Could you explain the question more in detail like it was in the exam?

Q came out to be (-46,0)
Original post by Qwob
stuart, I also 256-16/pi^2 for c. Hoping this is the exact form of c, as that =254.4...

Can anyone remember the differential equation?

Was it dx/dt = (tcos(pi/4 t)/2x

?

Trying to redo my answer, but not sure if I've remembered the equation correctly.

good to know someone got the same as me!!!

I'm pretty sure the equation was 32x/ tcos(t*pi/4)

My working led to:

16x^2 = (4t/pi)(sin(t*pi/4)) + (16/pi^2)(cos(t*pi/4))

when x=4 and t=0, this gives c= 256 - 16/pi^2
I didn't even understand the wording in some of the questions never mind how to answer them. :frown:
Reply 546
Original post by aerf
1.3cos((pi/6)t) for q7???

Pretty sure this is what I got.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qwob
Same here.

what Q is this
Reply 548
Original post by mulac1
well... for what its worth I found the paper rather challenging. I thought (wrongly) that after Jan13 they would give us an easier paper. However, it turns out that this was certainly not the case, and although the paper was not as difficult as jan13 imo, the grade boundaries will not be too dissimilar (probably about 60 for an A*). Did anyone else get 365cm for the last question?

I think I got that. Some people saying things like 367, 364, 306 and all different answers though.
Original post by stuart_aitken
I can't even join in on the 'what did you get/this is what I got' discussions because I feel I did so badly on it. Loads of questions I worked through and all was hunky dory until the final line and I'd think, "Hmmm, this doesn't look right...",

I guess I'll throw some answers out just with the off-chance I was correct...

For the cartesian equation of the parametric curve... xy+4y-4x = 0 ???? (I managed to work through to get the correct equation, but the '=0' can't be right. Maybe I did a sign error somewhere. If so, then it might be =32... or =16?) Anyway I got =0...

For the 2/15(k=root5)... k=5, but it was really odd to work out and I'll be honest, my calculator can answer in surds so I kind of jumped from one line to randomly having the answer.

For the vector question, part c, I also got each co-ordinate as being something/17.
I didn't even look at part d.

For the final question....... First part, I did integration by parts to get something like tcos(tpi/4) + 16/pi^2 sin(tpi.4)
And for the next part I used that to do the various integrations. Only problem is my '+c' came out as 256-16/pi^2, which is different to what other people got.
And then when I plugged it all back into the original equation for when t=45... I forgot to add my +c into it!!! So my final answer was negative. I then realised I'd done it wrong but only had about 15 seconds left, so instead just wrote a note saying, "argh, forgot the +c, boohoo." Haha.

To conclude:

Hardest C4 test I've ever done, by a very long shot. And I did about ten of them over the last few days.

I predict a B or C for me. Lucky for me I've done alright in everything else so far, so I'm still on track for getting an A. Woohoo. Must admit though, I was sort of getting my hopes up for an A*, but after that ordeal, no way!

I got the same as you for the integration.. thought i was the only one :smile: the vectors on though.. oh my life :confused:
Reply 550
Original post by nothepreacher
what Q is this

the last part of Q1 I believe.
Reply 551
Okay... For the coordinate of D in the vectors questions: did anyone get u=-1 and so the coordinate D was something like (5,1,-2) or something along those lines?

for the dh/dt question I got a= 1.3 and k=pi/12 ?

the very final question I got something like 3.blahblah metres.
How many marks was the integration by parts?
Original post by aerf
1.3cos((pi/6)t) for q7???

I got something involving pi but for the life of me I can't actually remember, how did you work out the bit infront of t???
Reply 554
Original post by SWBL
Pretty sure this is what I got.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome... Very tricky question that
Reply 555
25 for an A hopefully?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 556
But I definitely won't be getting an A* in Alevel maths now :frown:
Original post by Anime Lover
I wasn't expecting it to be so hard, it was a horrible paper! :frown: I got C as 240 on the last question, but people seem to have gotten things involving pi^2. On the vectors question I couldn't do the last bit and didn't get anything over 7 for point D :/ I thought I'd be able to get an A* quite easily but I've completely screwed it up, unless the boundaries are about 58/75 I don't stand a chance.

Hw many ums you need for a b
Reply 558
I got 5, 1, 2, for D, can't remember which way round the signs were though. That's good to hear.

for the vector equation of the line, I put in the coordinates of B, whereas most would have put in A. Both are correct, but that means my values of mu swapped around. mu=-1 gave me the coordinates of A, and mu=-2 gave me the coordinates of D. Again, for most people this will be the other way around.
Original post by l2ob
25 for an A hopefully?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fingers crossed! :L :crossedf:

Latest