The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 4 6BI04 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Sravya
Thats really good thanks! from what I understand from Post transcriptional change is that. There intros (the parts that dont code for DNA) are spliced out which leaves the extons so you get a strand of mRNA. the exons are joined together in different orders to form different mRNA strands. This means that more than on amino acid sequence can form more than one protein..

The order of the exons doesn't change, but the number does. For example, if there were three exons in the pre-mRNA strand; 1,2 and 3, they could join together as 123, 12, 13 or 23, but NOT as 312 or 32 etc. Not sure if you meant this, but better safe than sorry. :smile:
Reply 241
What is the basic outline of the specific human response?

from what i understand
it is just the phagocyte activates the T cell.
This is a specific reaction as the antigen has to be complementary to the T cell.
Once activated the T cell splits into T helper cells and T memory cells and T killer cells.
The t cells activate the B cells.
This is again specific as the antigen on the T cell has to form an antigen- antibody complex.
Once the B cell meets the complementary antigen it differentiates into plasma cells which screte antibodies.
and memory cells.

Then the antibodies bind to the bacteria and label them for the macrophage to engulf them via endocytosis.
Once inside a vaculoe in the machrophage. The macrophage secretes lysosomes which fuse onto the antigen in the vacule and destroy them
Reply 242
Original post by Brad0440
The order of the exons doesn't change, but the number does. For example, if there were three exons in the pre-mRNA strand; 1,2 and 3, they could join together as 123, 12, 13 or 23, but NOT as 312 or 32 etc. Not sure if you meant this, but better safe than sorry. :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 243
If two organisms can interbreed to produce a hybrid, which is not fertile, are these two organisms of the same species? If not, why?
Reply 244
well, i'm gonna fail. :/ i'm resitting from january and i appear to have forgotten everything. so any tips to cramming??
Reply 245
Original post by Brad0440
Also, I don't know how useful this is but I've attached some of my revision posters for this exam...

this is so cute :biggrin:
Reply 246
Original post by nukethemaly
Also if its not too much to ask would you mind making something similar for the antibiotics effectiveness experiment?

I just remembered I had these notes (used them for unit 6 :tongue:)

Check out page 13 for the antibiotics experiment :smile:
Reply 247
Original post by Satta101
If two organisms can interbreed to produce a hybrid, which is not fertile, are these two organisms of the same species? If not, why?

They are NOT a species, because for two individuals to be a species, they must be able to reproduce to make a viable, FERTILE offspring.
Reply 248
Original post by Satta101

well the definition of species is :

individuals which can interbreed to produce fertile offspring

so i guess they are not the same species?
Reply 249
Original post by bhapps
well, i'm gonna fail. :/ i'm resitting from january and i appear to have forgotten everything. so any tips to cramming??

CGP book and do all of the past papers again!
If anyone is having trouble understanding this spec point: Explain how one gene can give rise to more than one protein through post-transcriptional changes to messenger RNA

then I suggest watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zABxAG2u6Dk
Reply 251
In the syllabus it says we need to know about the storing of hydrogen in a fuel by combining it with carbon dioxide and realeaseing oxygen into the atmosphere..what does that mean?
Original post by Sravya
In the syllabus it says we need to know about the storing of hydrogen in a fuel by combining it with carbon dioxide and realeaseing oxygen into the atmosphere..what does that mean?

basically hydrogen + carbon dioxide makes glucose

which is the fuel part

and to get that hydrogen, water is split by photolysis

and oxygen is released

Reply 253
Original post by confusedgirl22
basically hydrogen + carbon dioxide makes glucose

which is the fuel part

and to get that hydrogen, water is split by photolysis

and oxygen is released

Thanks a billion
Reply 254
Original post by Sravya

Its basically about the hydrogen being combined with carbon dioxide to produce glucose (the fuel) during photosynthesis and releasing oxygen as a waste product.

If I'm wrong, correct me?
Reply 255
can anyone help me please?
i keep getting D's in all the past papers i'm doing, what can i do to improve my grade?
thank you
Reply 256
Original post by amber109
can anyone help me please?
i keep getting D's in all the past papers i'm doing, what can i do to improve my grade?
thank you

Id suggest at this late stage learn some classic mark scheme answers... and some key words for each typpe of questions..if you like let me know what sorta questions you are struggling on and ill help you get a classic answer for them
Reply 257
Do we need to know how TP and Gp are converted into carbohydrates, lipids amino acids and nucleic acids..or is it just that do?
Reply 258
What is a mark scheme definition of trophic level?
During the exam to make answers seem clearer and more straightforward.. can we write all our answers in bullet point forms instead of continuous sentences? including the questions with asterisks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending