The Student Room Group

AQA Philosophy A2 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
That's ums yeah? So how do you convert ums to raw mark

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 121
For moral philosophy is there always a question on moral decisions (as in, utilitarianism, deontology, virtue ethics)?
Reply 122
Original post by iwasJack
For moral philosophy is there always a question on moral decisions (as in, utilitarianism, deontology, virtue ethics)?

Usually is but you never know, it could change. I'd revise everything to be on the safe side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone have any predictions of whats gonna come up for political philosophy and philosophy of religion?
Original post by CrazyGal95
Anyone have any predictions of whats gonna come up for political philosophy and philosophy of religion?

I'm so worried about philosophy of religion because I find it so hard to piece the knowledge together... I'm doing the June 10 past paper right now and my thoughts are all over the place!

Can anyone help?? Please!
Reply 125
Has anyone learnt divine command ethics?

I'm doing those topics too! I don't really have any predictions though unfortunately! I think it's possible something about social utility and rights might come up for political philosophy, but then I suppose lots of questions are possible...I don't think I'd like one on social justice though. :s-smilie:
Original post by cmargerison
I'm so worried about philosophy of religion because I find it so hard to piece the knowledge together... I'm doing the June 10 past paper right now and my thoughts are all over the place!

Hey! What are you having problems with? :smile:
Original post by Saima12345
Few days left :P And then Unit 4, which is (I think) harder. Well.. I'm just reading over all the notes/textbooks. Hoping distributive justice comes up, and for moral normative ethics.

Haha, hey Saima. It's Rosie. Small world...:redface:

Kinda scared that Normative Ethics won't come up in Moral Philosophy since they've already used each theory on the syllabus in the past 3 years and not touched on Moral Truth as much...
Original post by ann2013
Hi, I'm studying moral and political for unit 3 :smile: how is everyone spending these last few days of preparation?

Same. I'm really annoyed how my sociology and philosophy exam is on the same day, and I have to split all the revision. Ugh. :frown: It's really hard to do this. I had the same problem in January, and got my As, but these exams are so much bigger...

I'm trying to go over everything, with special attention to Justice. With moral, I revise one chunk of the syllabus per day. For example, today I did Moral Truth, tomorrow I'll do Denial of Moral Truth and Wednesday, Moral Decisions. No past papers, no time realistically.

What about you?
Hi!

Is anyone else doing the exam this Friday, the RST4A Life death and beyond? if so, how have you revised it or what have you included for each topic;

-nature and value of human life
-religious and secular views on death and beyond
-religious and secular views on importance of present life and life beyond
- religious and secular eschatology/apocalyptic teachings

It's the middle two that are the hardest to plan for as they are so similar so any advice would be amazing! :smile:
Reply 131
Original post by Gillymander95
Same. I'm really annoyed how my sociology and philosophy exam is on the same day, and I have to split all the revision. Ugh. :frown: It's really hard to do this. I had the same problem in January, and got my As, but these exams are so much bigger...

I'm trying to go over everything, with special attention to Justice. With moral, I revise one chunk of the syllabus per day. For example, today I did Moral Truth, tomorrow I'll do Denial of Moral Truth and Wednesday, Moral Decisions. No past papers, no time realistically.

What about you?

That sounds really hard! I left philosophy to the last minute so I'm just trying to get through it all but it's taking a lot longer than I anticipated! I finished going through political and I managed to do normative and practical today and I'm going to try and do non-cognitivism this evening. I'll finish but I'll only have gone through everything fairly superficially and I won't have done hardly any/no practice :frown:

For practical ethics, do you think it's ok to just have learnt one practical issue e.g. abortion? I'm planning to ignore euthanasia/animal rights etc.
Original post by ann2013
That sounds really hard! I left philosophy to the last minute so I'm just trying to get through it all but it's taking a lot longer than I anticipated! I finished going through political and I managed to do normative and practical today and I'm going to try and do non-cognitivism this evening. I'll finish but I'll only have gone through everything fairly superficially and I won't have done hardly any/no practice :frown:

For practical ethics, do you think it's ok to just have learnt one practical issue e.g. abortion? I'm planning to ignore euthanasia/animal rights etc.

Hmmm, to be honest, it sounds like you've done alot today, so if you keep going over it in the next couple of days and use Thursday morning to go through stuff that you predict will come up/you haven't quite grasped, you're most likely going to be alright. I wouldn't worry about practice papers or anything too much, since the mark schemes are fairly wishy-washy, it's the knowledge you need to focus on :smile:

Yeah that's absolutely fine! The specification requires you only learn one topic anyway. Abortion is probably the best because it concerns death of a being, but you can make a lot of arguments of whether a fetus actually has a right to life etc, and then apply it to Utilitarianism(s), Deontology, Virtue Ethics, Sentimentalism and even the "State of Nature" if you have the time, albeit, not essential.

Euthanasia is similar, but it's almost "too easy" when you're looking at more complex arguments - there's not really a whole lot to say except "Kant says no" "Bentham says okay maybe if it makes them happy", and that's it really.

Animal Rights and Poverty, boo! Wayyyyy too complex and you might find yourself getting too caught up in the actual issue rather than discussing how normative theories respond to it. We did Animal Rights in class, and it was honestly the biggest time-waster I've ever encountered.
Original post by cmargerison

I know how you feel, to me theirs definitely topics I find easier to understand than others..the problem is which one's will come up, hopefully the one's i'm confident about! although I never seem to have luck on my side in philosophy exams..
Original post by Lingo-Flamingo
I'm doing those topics too! I don't really have any predictions though unfortunately! I think it's possible something about social utility and rights might come up for political philosophy, but then I suppose lots of questions are possible...I don't think I'd like one on social justice though. :s-smilie:

Yeah possibly, I think the last time a question like that came up was 2010..and no same, one on distributive justice would be good, don't think that specifically has come up yet
Yeah possibly, I think the last time a question like that came up was 2010..and no same, one on distributive justice would be good, don't think that specifically has come up yet

What would you write for an essay about distributive justice? I'm thinking Rawls, Marx, and Nozick?
Reply 136
Original post by Gillymander95
Hmmm, to be honest, it sounds like you've done alot today, so if you keep going over it in the next couple of days and use Thursday morning to go through stuff that you predict will come up/you haven't quite grasped, you're most likely going to be alright. I wouldn't worry about practice papers or anything too much, since the mark schemes are fairly wishy-washy, it's the knowledge you need to focus on :smile:

Yeah that's absolutely fine! The specification requires you only learn one topic anyway. Abortion is probably the best because it concerns death of a being, but you can make a lot of arguments of whether a fetus actually has a right to life etc, and then apply it to Utilitarianism(s), Deontology, Virtue Ethics, Sentimentalism and even the "State of Nature" if you have the time, albeit, not essential.

Euthanasia is similar, but it's almost "too easy" when you're looking at more complex arguments - there's not really a whole lot to say except "Kant says no" "Bentham says okay maybe if it makes them happy", and that's it really.

Animal Rights and Poverty, boo! Wayyyyy too complex and you might find yourself getting too caught up in the actual issue rather than discussing how normative theories respond to it. We did Animal Rights in class, and it was honestly the biggest time-waster I've ever encountered.

I suppose - thank you for the reassurance :smile: What do you mean by sentimentalism and the "State of Nature" in terms of abortion though?

Also, do you have any advice on how to structure answers? I'm never quite sure...

Thank you for all the help! :smile:
Hey can anyone help me...

when questions ask for example 'moral truth cannot be derived from facts. discuss'...

would you be expected to discuss naturalism and then evaluate that

OR

bring in all theories such as emotivism, prescriptivism, naturalism, plato etc.
Original post by millie-rose

when questions ask for example 'moral truth cannot be derived from facts. discuss'...

OR

if i was answering it, i'd avoid the latter because i think it'd be too much to talk about. you can use theories about the denial of moral truth to evaluate naturalism :smile:

i wouldn't 100% trust my opinion though haha, i find moral philosophy questions difficult to understand what they're actually asking you to talk about...
Reply 139
Original post by millie-rose

OR

I'd probably primarily be discussing Hume's fact-value gap and morality as being relational/internal, maybe showing how Hume's gap dismisses theories such as naturalism along the way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending