The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 5 6BI05 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Chris-69
Quick question: What would happen if the temperature increases during the Respirometer experiment?

I imagine the rate of respiration would increase due to a faster metabolism of the woodlice, therefore meaning they take in oxygen quicker.
Reply 321
Original post by Selym95
I imagine the rate of respiration would increase due to a faster metabolism of the woodlice, therefore meaning they take in oxygen quicker.

So then the pressure would be lower that it was before the temperature rise and hence the coloured liquid would not travel as far?

Edit: Wouldn't an increase in respiration mean that more oxygen is released by the organism, increasing pressure?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 322
So then the pressure would be lower that it was before the temperature rise and hence the coloured liquid would not travel as far?

Edit: Wouldn't an increase in respiration mean that more oxygen is released by the organism, increasing pressure?

It would mean the opposite, aerobic respiration takes in oxygen and produces carbon dioxide as a bi-product.

The liquid would move faster because more oxygen will be taken in by the woodlice, so the fluid would move towards the woodlice faster than usual.
Reply 323
Original post by Selym95
It would mean the opposite, aerobic respiration takes in oxygen and produces carbon dioxide as a bi-product.

The liquid would move faster because more oxygen will be taken in by the woodlice, so the fluid would move towards the woodlice faster than usual.

Oh right, yes. Thanks!
could someone please explain how the transcription factor work? we need to know two different processes which is for peptide and steroid hormones right? thanks in advance.
What would people say are the advantages and disadvantages of a simple respirometer and u-tube respirometer?

Simple respirometer = Advantages - Very simple to set up; minimal number of connections makes a good seal easier to obtain.
Disadvantages - Doesn't allow you to reset it; it needs a control tube used along side it. No scale, so measurements less likely to be accurate.

U-tube respirometer = Advantages - Does not need to have an additional control as the second tube balances out the effects of changes of temperature or atmospheric pressure. The syringe allows you to move the liquid in the U to reset the apparatus.
Disadvantages - Tendency for connections to leak. Can be expensive.

Hope this helps Chris :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 326
Hi can anyone please look at question 5c(i) January 2011 paper - link below
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/January%202011%20-%20QP/6BI05_01_que_20110127.pdf
and this is the markscheme
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/January%202011%20-%20MS/6BI05_01_rms_20110309.pdf

I do not understand this question or the answer, could anyone please explain it to me?
Thanks!
Reply 327
Original post by hayleyvictoria
Simple respirometer = Advantages - Very simple to set up; minimal number of connections makes a good seal easier to obtain.
Disadvantages - Doesn't allow you to reset it; it needs a control tube used along side it. No scale, so measurements less likely to be accurate.

U-tube respirometer = Advantages - Does not need to have an additional control as the second tube balances out the effects of changes of temperature or atmospheric pressure. The syringe allows you to move the liquid in the U to reset the apparatus.
Disadvantages - Tendency for connections to leak. Can be expensive.

Hope this helps Chris :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 328
ive got 3 exams this week :/
What experiments do we need to be aware of? I can't remember the experiments we did :|
Original post by rudizzy123
What experiments do we need to be aware of? I can't remember the experiments we did :|

As in core practicals?
-Habituation
-Spirometer
-Respirometer
Reply 331
Anyone compiled a list of topics that may come up for the pre release article?
Reply 332
hey, does anyone have some example questions for the naked mole rats article ? could you please upload it? any suggestions on what is likely to come up? im so stuck on it!
Reply 333
Original post by ItsDatGuy
I can't start any past papers until thursday afternoon :frown: I'm basically screwed for this exam

Same here, you're not alone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 334
Can anyone tell me if I've got this right?

Respirometer experiment:

Liquid will travel further if:
- temperature of test tube increases --> increase rate of respiration --> greater O2 uptake --> decrease in pressure in the tube --> liquid pushed further along by atmospheric pressure as it takes longer for pressure inside the tube to = pressure outside the tube
- decrease in pressure in test tube ---> liquid pushed further along by atmospheric pressure as it takes longer for pressure inside the tube to = pressure outside the tube
- increase in atmospheric pressure --> liquid pushed further along by atmospheric pressure as it takes longer for pressure inside the tube to = pressure outside the tube

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SKK94
In cellular respiration, is 'reduced NAD' written as 'NADH2' or 'NADH + H+' ?
Is either form accepted?

yes
Reply 336
Original post by Lujain Al Omari
yes

Reply 337
Original post by pamella
hey, does anyone have some example questions for the naked mole rats article ? could you please upload it? any suggestions on what is likely to come up? im so stuck on it!

Here are some our biology teacher gave our class.

If anyone else has any, please upload them!
Reply 338
Original post by Brad0440
Here are some our biology teacher gave our class.

If anyone else has any, please upload them!

Thank you, do you have the answers for these by any chance?
http://www.scribd.com/doc/54621822/Edexcel-Biology-A2-Revision-Notes.

Here are some revision notes I found not sure if they have already been posted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending