The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 ICT IT3 exam June 11 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by alphadawg
Nope! just the definition.
I made notes for each topic, strictly from the mark schemes (id avoid the book at all costs.. but if it works for you thats fine! )
Then I read each topic and did question paper questions on them after to reinforce them into my brain..
Then I did the most recent paper to see how well I was coming along..
Now Im just gonna read through it all again, maybe do one more paper just to make sure :smile:

I've gone through mark schemes and the book. I find the book's great for more detail however most of the course seems rather out-dated.

Also, when giving examples I'm thinking how much recent examples will everyone be giving.

For the questions on privacy, control of the internet ect I'm really tempted to use the whole PRISM scandal at the moment.
Reply 61
I have a question. Say for example you have a four mark question for four points. What if you make 6 correct points? would you lose marks? what if you made 5 correct and 1 incorrect, would you still get the four marks even though there is something incorrect?
Reply 62
I have a question. Say for example you have a four mark question for four points. What if you make 6 correct points? would you lose marks? what if you made 5 correct and 1 incorrect, would you still get the four marks even though there is something incorrect?

You would't lose marks for making extra point's they'll just mark four points that are correct.

As long as you at least cover the number of points with correct ones, I think.
Reply 63
Original post by iBlueBox
You would't lose marks for making extra point's they'll just mark four points that are correct.

As long as you at least cover the number of points with correct ones, I think.

Unless it actually states to give 4 points then if you state 5 I think you can lose a mark.
Reply 64
Data flow diagrams & entintiy relationship diagrams in sdlc) do we have to know how to draw them?
Reply 65
Original post by iggyDash
Data flow diagrams & entintiy relationship diagrams in sdlc) do we have to know how to draw them?

Nope! dont think so
Reply 66
Nope! dont think so

Im getting a tince nervous lol. The hard thing is learning the mark scheme word for word lol.

How you doing:colone:
I'm getting a bit nervous too. I'm not sure if I'm as prepared as I was for January this time round, but I've definitely paid more attention to the mark schemes. I'm copying out some from different years at the moment and comparing them to notes I've made from the textbook, especially on areas where I dropped marks in Jan. (:frown:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 68
Im getting a tince nervous lol. The hard thing is learning the mark scheme word for word lol.

How you doing:colone:

I'm doing pretty good, just gotta get enough sleep tonight and make the most of the hour i have before the exam to go over everything :redface:
i'm not that nervous.. i mean I am cause I want an A and one screw up will cost me.. but Im sure i'll be fine, ICT is my strongest subject and its hard to go wrong after youve learned every single thing from the mark schemes
Reply 69
Original post by badbodydouble
I'm getting a bit nervous too. I'm not sure if I'm as prepared as I was for January this time round, but I've definitely paid more attention to the mark schemes. I'm copying out some from different years at the moment and comparing them to notes I've made from the textbook, especially on areas where I dropped marks in Jan. (:frown:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol im just going over my notes that ive made from all the mark schemes and just then attempting questions.

What areas/topics did you drop marks in jan

I'm doing pretty good, just gotta get enough sleep tonight and make the most of the hour i have before the exam to go over everything :redface:
i'm not that nervous.. i mean I am cause I want an A and one screw up will cost me.. but Im sure i'll be fine, ICT is my strongest subject and its hard to go wrong after youve learned every single thing from the mark schemes

Same.. lol i need 117/115 for an A/A*(If you dont need an A in as then A*) What do you need?
Reply 70

Same.. lol i need 117/115 for an A/A*(If you dont need an A in as then A*) What do you need?

I just need an A.. A* is impossible since I got a low A in AS coursework and a B in A2 coursework *sigh*
I've gone through mark schemes and the book. I find the book's great for more detail however most of the course seems rather out-dated.

Also, when giving examples I'm thinking how much recent examples will everyone be giving.

For the questions on privacy, control of the internet ect I'm really tempted to use the whole PRISM scandal at the moment.

Good idea, I never thought of using that example, it would tie in with the governments trying to control the internet.
Lol im just going over my notes that ive made from all the mark schemes and just then attempting questions.

What areas/topics did you drop marks in jan

I dropped 2 marks on a disability question (HCI) they ignored a point I made and dropped another mark as apparently I didn't give a specific disability, dropped 2 marks on adv/disadv of e-commerce as 2 points that I wrote were in the textbook but not the mark scheme, I dropped 3 marks on an Internet question as I didn't write enough (that was fair enough :P), a mark on disaster recovery programme as I only made 2 points on a factor, 3 marks on MIS as I put "accuracy and reliability" instead of "relevancy" and then my example of a factor didn't match the one in the mark scheme (but again it was right in the textbook), 2 marks on a security policy question (they don't give a definition in the textbook so I made one up (but since I have found one in a mark scheme and learnt it!))
Ooh I hate how finicky they are! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
I dropped 2 marks on a disability question (HCI) they ignored a point I made and dropped another mark as apparently I didn't give a specific disability, dropped 2 marks on adv/disadv of e-commerce as 2 points that I wrote were in the textbook but not the mark scheme, I dropped 3 marks on an Internet question as I didn't write enough (that was fair enough :P), a mark on disaster recovery programme as I only made 2 points on a factor, 3 marks on MIS as I put "accuracy and reliability" instead of "relevancy" and then my example of a factor didn't match the one in the mark scheme (but again it was right in the textbook), 2 marks on a security policy question (they don't give a definition in the textbook so I made one up (but since I have found one in a mark scheme and learnt it!))
Ooh I hate how finicky they are! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah so you got full marks in section B. any tips on section B. Do you normaly choose the database questions
Ah so you got full marks in section B. any tips on section B. Do you normaly choose the database questions

I avoided the database bit for section B as the last question was a bit shady but I would consider doing the database questions if you know your stuff as they always come up :smile: if the other option was security policies or something (or management of change - aah) I probably would have done databases :smile: I was stumped though for which set of questions to do, I wasn't sure what the first question on SDLC wanted - features of a feasibility report or the methods of collecting info for one - really stumped me. I hope we get a nice alternative to databases tomorrow though :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
If my IT4 coursework stays at 76/80 then I need 72 UMS out of 120 to get an A overall which is like 51 marks out of 90 but I am going to aim to get over 70 marks as I have been revising for ages and know everything well enough. I have 92 UMS for IT1, 80 UMS for IT2 and as it stands 76 UMS for IT4.

Just going to go over database section again as that is likely to be section b and then do a little work on social, ethical and moral issues of the internet as well as reasons parents may be concerned of their children using the internet. If my coursework does stay the same then I already have a C which is great to know going into the exam as I feel less pressure on me but I'm still confident just hope for a nice paper with a mixture of good topics: MIS, HCI, Databases, Internet, etc. Also would love teleworking as that is so simple. Bet we get some weird questions though!
Reply 76
Just done another past paper got 75 out of 90, hope for the same tomorrow! Now going to work on what I dropped marks on.

Do NOT do that, never ever venture outside of the answers to previous mark schemes. Trust me I have had many a student write valid answers to questions but if they are not on the mark scheme, then you don't get the marks. It's a game, play it and thee is only one way to win. Regurgitate what you have seen go before and do nothing else.
Original post by djphillips1408
Do NOT do that, never ever venture outside of the answers to previous mark schemes. Trust me I have had many a student write valid answers to questions but if they are not on the mark scheme, then you don't get the marks. It's a game, play it and thee is only one way to win. Regurgitate what you have seen go before and do nothing else.

That was what caught me out in January - I focused primarily on the textbook as I'd never thought about pulling answers from the mark schemes, as you'd just presume they match up - but no. I dropped easy marks when the answers I'd given were perfectly valid and correct, however they didn't match word by word with the mark scheme. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
That was what caught me out in January - I focused primarily on the textbook as I'd never thought about pulling answers from the mark schemes, as you'd just presume they match up - but no. I dropped easy marks when the answers I'd given were perfectly valid and correct, however they didn't match word by word with the mark scheme. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would have thought you would have known that from IT1?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending