The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Geography unit 4B 2013 June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Gary
My teacher is completely useless compared to yours lol

Haha, well, from a soon to be (give it 4 years) teacher (alright, I'm teaching history..) I hope this helps ^^
Reply 21
Anybody have any advice for this exam? What should we be doing and what kind of questions would they ask?
Hi guys i've been looking through past papers and 1 question they tend to like asking first is this 'Describe how the data could be presented in a graphical form. Justify the methods that you suggest.'
This would be asked in relation to figure P2 in our AIB, so the best method for us would be the bar graph. Then to get to a level 2 answer you would justify why to use this method rather than line graphs and pie charts. Then you would also need to explain how to draw a bar graph e.g what you would put on each axis, and the scale of each axis.

This is definitely something we should know ready for Friday x
Btw, has anyone got any advice for how much time to spend on each question? As the number of questions and amounts of marks vary in each paper. I was thinking maybe to spend 15 mins on each?
Reply 24
Original post by Ellie_May :)
Hi guys i've been looking through past papers and 1 question they tend to like asking first is this 'Describe how the data could be presented in a graphical form. Justify the methods that you suggest.'
This would be asked in relation to figure P2 in our AIB, so the best method for us would be the bar graph. Then to get to a level 2 answer you would justify why to use this method rather than line graphs and pie charts. Then you would also need to explain how to draw a bar graph e.g what you would put on each axis, and the scale of each axis.

This is definitely something we should know ready for Friday x

yehh i was thinking of doing something for P2, haven't done any myself at the momment as i've been focusing on other exams but someone suggested a histogram for P2?
Original post by Gary
yehh i was thinking of doing something for P2, haven't done any myself at the momment as i've been focusing on other exams but someone suggested a histogram for P2?

I can see why but histograms tend to have a range of data for each bar along the x axis rather than specific points of data we have for the years.
Reply 26
I can see why but histograms tend to have a range of data for each bar along the x axis rather than specific points of data we have for the years.

and surely for a bar graph, there will be some missing values along the bottom cause some dates are not included?
Reply 27
Btw, has anyone got any advice for how much time to spend on each question? As the number of questions and amounts of marks vary in each paper. I was thinking maybe to spend 15 mins on each?

This is what my teacher suggested: "There are 60 marks and 90 minutes. Hopefully you should have enough time if you look carefully at your watch. You clearly have 1 &1/2 minutes per mark (e.g. 15 mark question is 22.5 minutes)."
Reply 28
Anyone know how to incorporate statistical tests into your answer, eg. spearman's rank and chi squared. Apparently you're meant to use them in this exam? :smile:
Reply 29
A few people on TSR got really high marks on this exam so it can't be too hard? Hopefully :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by flower124
Anyone know how to incorporate statistical tests into your answer, eg. spearman's rank and chi squared. Apparently you're meant to use them in this exam? :smile:

What he said :smile:

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
What the hell is chi squared omg I've never been taught that!
I haven't been taught any statistical tests at all, hence why I was so annoyed about unit 3 having the Mann Whitney U test in it!
I'm not sure they will ask us any though it's more for unit 4A than 4B. Haven't seen any on past papers for this unit anyway.
Reply 33
Well it might be useful to use statistical tests to see if there is a correlation between two items/figures such as p1 and p2

Just think it might be something little extra which you can add to your answers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Gary
Also does anyone know the structure for this exam? like how many 5 markers? 6 markers? 10 markers? etc or does it vary? thanks :smile:

I think the marks rewarded per question vary from out of 10 - 20 :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by conniemuir
What the hell is chi squared omg I've never been taught that!

Same! And I only found out today that we're supposed to do the "further research" - don't think we've done it in class :s-smilie:
Reply 36
Hey guys, could someone explain the whole standard deviation part of the AIB in context of the energy released. I really do naaaaat get it. I feel that if I had taken statistics it would have been more beneficial to me for geog than mechanics lol, statistics is more graph/dealing with numbers etc:confused:
Thanks in advance!! xxx
Reply 37
My teacher reckons that they'll ask about why Christchurch was more destructive, if hazards are becoming more common and the responses to the earthquake, ie the zoning of buildings and insurance. Anyone have any more ideas?
Reply 38
Original post by alibaxter
My teacher reckons that they'll ask about why Christchurch was more destructive, if hazards are becoming more common and the responses to the earthquake, ie the zoning of buildings and insurance. Anyone have any more ideas?

The ZigZag booklet is swinging in that direction from what I have done, there is quite a bit on how it was weaker than the Dargield quake yet did more damage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Darfield* sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending