The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student Number 4
I've attached Jan 2013 paper and mark scheme :smile:

LOL a tad late, no?
I know this is irrelevant but after this exam its important to me. Im taking A Level maths and AS Level Further Maths, and I'm doing mechanics 2 and decision 1. Although technically im doing mechanics 2 with core because i did mehanics 1 last year with it, is it true that if i do better in decision than mechanics they will automatically but decision with a level maths because they put the one you do better in with the core maths? Please someone explain this to me as ive done awful in this exam and much better in decision than i ever will in mechanics so really want my decision to go towards my core maths a level!
I just want to fast forward to 15th August to see if I did enough to get an A* in maths or not.
Reply 1003
By the looks of things I got 2 max marks in q1 and dropped 2 max marks on q8..... :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1004
Original post by SqueakyMoose
Depressing how we work hard all year and get A*s on the past papers and then they throw us a stinker of an exam like this. It's not like we don't know the topic they're just trying to trip us up.

Ugh, tell me about it. It doesnt matter how good you are at the topics you have learnt. I was feeling really confident about getting an A in the exam this morning, now I'm just hoping I've got more than half the marks! I understand them wanting to challenge the more able students, but they need to remember the paper must be reasonable. I don't know how they expected us to answer all of those questions well in the time we were given.
Original post by fizzbizz
LOL a tad late, no?

Oops, my mistake, didn't realise it was on the first page... :colondollar: - no need to be rude...
Reply 1006
Original post by SqueakyMoose
Depressing how we work hard all year and get A*s on the past papers and then they throw us a stinker of an exam like this. It's not like we don't know the topic they're just trying to trip us up.

Completely agree. A lot of the types of questions they throw at us now are barely touched upon in the books. The application of knowledge is much more advanced now. Apparently, 1-2 harder questions at the end of a paper is no longer sufficient enough to distinguish between good and very good candidates.
Reply 1007
Does any one remember question 1c????
could someone please help me out, its important :frown:
Grr, I ran out of time! :frown:

I've lost about 10 marks just from missing questions out. I need 88/100 for A* so hopefully that'll be enough :s-smilie:

Seems to me like everyone thought it was horrendous, which would imply boundaries close to January's, which would be nice :smile:
Original post by katievickers
could someone please help me out, its important :frown:

If you're asking about whether they'll put your best mark on between Mechanics and Decision, I would guess they just put both scores on.
Reply 1011
I know this is irrelevant but after this exam its important to me. Im taking A Level maths and AS Level Further Maths, and I'm doing mechanics 2 and decision 1. Although technically im doing mechanics 2 with core because i did mehanics 1 last year with it, is it true that if i do better in decision than mechanics they will automatically but decision with a level maths because they put the one you do better in with the core maths? Please someone explain this to me as ive done awful in this exam and much better in decision than i ever will in mechanics so really want my decision to go towards my core maths a level!

Yes but c4 and c3 are necessary for A2 maths along with your next best grade apart from c1 c2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arghhhhhhhhhh :mad: worst exam everr! Especially 1st question.how could they put such a hard question right at the beginning. .makes me so angry :angry:..definately lost over 40 marks:frown: the person who made this paper must've been really angry. :rolleyes:
Reply 1013
This is the third time I've done C4 and that's the best exam I've ever had, might be due to experience but I'm predicting high grade boundaries
Reply 1014

Yes, they automatically switch modules around between further maths and maths for the very best possible result. Some guy last year got two A's but would have got an A and a B if this wasn't true.
Reply 1015
Original post by January95
Arghhhhhhhhhh :mad: worst exam everr! Especially 1st question.how could they put such a hard question right at the beginning. .makes me so angry :angry:..definately lost over 40 marks:frown: the person who made this paper must've been really angry. :rolleyes:

Exactly how I felt. I only got an answer for part a). Feel like such a mong xD
Original post by Jamie T
Yes, they automatically switch modules around between further maths and maths for the very best possible result. Some guy last year got two A's but would have got an A and a B if this wasn't true.

yay thank you this is what i wanted to hear!
Reply 1017

they take all the 9 modules you've done then put you 4 core modules into your maths a-level then the minimum required combination of applied modules to get an A grade overall if its possible then the remaining modules go into your further maths, basically they give you the highest possible grade for the combination of modules you do
Original post by Lay-Z
Yes but c4 and c3 are necessary for A2 maths along with your next best grade apart from c1 c2

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, what i meant was would they put decision with core 3 and core 4 if i do better in it than i do in mechanics to give me the best grade possible for A level maths?
Reply 1019
Roses are red, violets are blue, I sat core 4 maths today, I didn't have a clue.

Latest

Trending

Trending