The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmirHabeeb
Harantony explained it really well a few pages back:

Yeah I posted my question without checking back haha!
Reply 261
Original post by josephtsui
There was a question in the 2012 Jan paper about heating a dicarboxylic acid (fumaric acid). The acid loses water on heating to form compound X. In the question it asks you to draw the structural formula for compound X. Apparently the two carboxyl groups in the dicarboxylic acid react with each other on heating with the elimination of a water molecule. Is this reaction in the syllabus or is something we are supposed to be able to guess in the exam?

i think you just had to be able to put it together as if you drew out the molecule without water you could see an o with no attachment which doesn't normally occur in non salt long chain molecules so the joining to make a cyclo chain should seem the reasonable solution
Original post by super121
Please don't remind me, I'm doing F334 as well which I haven't even started revising for as I have 4 other exams before it!

Ouch dude... Just gotta put your head down I guess; at least by next Wednesday it'll be all over :wink:

Original post by Tikara
NMR2.JPG

Here the peak on the left represents the two protons between the oxygens but this peak is larger then the one on the right which represents 6 protons

Is it the height of the peak which represents the amount of protons in the environment or the area underneath ?

(the compound is diethoxymethane http://www.chemicalbook.com/ChemicalProductProperty_EN_CB4128049.htm)

Yes it's the height of the peak which represents the ratio/amount of protons. So the ratio of 6 should represent 6 protons in the CH2 environment. It's quite a confusing question as its diethoxymethane, so you'll have to watch out for the CH2-O environment.

That's a horrible nmr question regardless! :smile:
Reply 263
Original post by abzy1234
Ouch dude... Just gotta put your head down I guess; at least by next Wednesday it'll be all over :wink:

Yes it's the height of the peak which represents the ratio/amount of protons. So the ratio of 6 should represent 6 protons in the CH2 environment. It's quite a confusing question as its diethoxymethane, so you'll have to watch out for the CH2-O environment.

That's a horrible nmr question regardless! :smile:

well I just asked my teacher and he stressed that it's the cumulative area under the peak (and its splitting) and as it's a singlet on the left it is in the end a lower area then the triplet on the right
Reply 264
Original post by Tikara
well I just asked my teacher and he stressed that it's the cumulative area under the peak (and its splitting) and as it's a singlet on the left it is in the end a lower area then the triplet on the right

They are interchangeable. The relative areas of the peaks is proportional to the number of protons in that proton type.
Reply 265
Original post by AmirHabeeb
They are interchangeable. The relative areas of the peaks is proportional to the number of protons in that proton type.

what's interchangeable ? sorry this nmr stuff is doing my head in xD
Original post by gkweic
i think you just had to be able to put it together as if you drew out the molecule without water you could see an o with no attachment which doesn't normally occur in non salt long chain molecules so the joining to make a cyclo chain should seem the reasonable solution

Not entirely sure if it's on the syllabus but the dehydration of two carboxylic acids forms an acid anhydride
Original post by Tikara

Your teachers right surely? The integration of peaks in NMR is relative to the number of protons within those environments?
Reply 268
Original post by martynsteel
Not entirely sure if it's on the syllabus but the dehydration of two carboxylic acids forms an acid anhydride

i think thats on the medicine topic syllabus for f334 but as this is synoptic i guess we have to know that
Could anyone link me the F335 January 2013 question paper? x
Reply 270
Could someone please explain to me 2b(i) in Jan 2012, thanks :smile:
Reply 271
Hi, I have the January 2013 paper, but I don't have the mark scheme :/
Could someone post on here please, be really grateful :smile:
Original post by totw

Here it is.
Reply 273
Original post by totw

Hi can you post the paper?
Original post by martynsteel

Do you know if the acid anhydride formed in this way is always cyclic?
Original post by Jlane5000
Do you know if the acid anhydride formed in this way is always cyclic?

I'll assume no but if this type of question comes up draw out the anhydride group then start adding on the rest of the carbons and hydrogens :smile:
Reply 276
Original post by Tristian Fox
Here it is.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 277
Original post by LRC4321
Hi can you post the paper?

I can't sorry, I got it in paper form not a PDF file, so I've scribbled all over it :/ also my printer/scanner has broken down so I can't scan it in even if you wanted the scribbled version :frown: sorry

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi,

On page 50 of the A2 official revision guide, it says that increasing the total pressure may change the rate of reaction. Why will it not always change the rate? :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 279
Original post by Harantony
Hi,

On page 50 of the A2 official revision guide, it says that increasing the total pressure may change the rate of reaction. Why will it not always change the rate? :smile:

Thanks!

The reactants would have to be in the gas phase for pressure to have an effect, I think. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending