The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mm123
Anyone else doing this exam on June 10th 2013? Just wondering if anyone had an idea as to which topics will come up and what the main topics to revise are?

Also, any revision tips?

I'm not doing it, but I can advise you to go on bitesize as it will guarantee you a C (IF YOU REVISE PROPERLY)
Do past papers & check where you're going wrong
Good luck.
Reply 2
I am doing it
Buy the edexcel revision guides on amazon, they are very precise and follow the spec precisely. However the questions they ask are designed that you have to understand what you've learnt to actually answer them - you can just learn facts, you have to understand how it works.

Also, did you do the biology exam today? Units B1 and B3 were today. How was it?

Here's a link to the amazon page. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revise-Edexcel-Additional-Science-Revision/dp/144690265X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369096933&sr=8-2&keywords=edexcel+gcse+additional+science
Original post by mm123
Anyone else doing this exam on June 10th 2013? Just wondering if anyone had an idea as to which topics will come up and what the main topics to revise are?

Also, any revision tips?

Edexcel are bitches! They'll probably combine the last 3 papers together and make an exam paper out of those, so get your teacher to print you the past 3 papers (there's only 3 of them) and look at what's come up There's a mixture, but you'll see there are some consistencies within each paper e.g. the role of Bile and the Gall bladder have came up in 2/3 of the papers. The only problem with edexcel is they make you APPLY your knowledge, so you can learn all about transpiration, but then in the exam they'll say why has Plant A had a higher mass loss than Plant B, which makes it really tricky to answer. Just try your best to know the stuff and put it into real context. Also, print off the specification from the website, that way you'll know everything that's going to come up. Hope I helped and good luck! I'm sitting the exam too! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Sitting this exam as well. I think that Osmosis/Photosynthesis will come up. Unsure of what else - just remember to be apply to apply your knowledge!
Hey,
I know it's last minute, but I have a feeling digestion won't appear much since the March 2013 paper had a large section on it and it was one of the 6 mark questions.
Good Luck with the exam everyone! Last minute stressing this morning... :smile:
How did everyone find the exam? I thought it was pretty good, quite happy with it to be honest!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by lewisarbucks
How did everyone find the exam? I thought it was pretty good, quite happy with it to be honest!

I hated it. I knew basically everything on the syllabus yet the 3 things I didn't know and said before I walked into the hall 'I hope ---- doesn't come up!' came up. :mad:

Probably got an E.
It was pretty easy but not as easy as I'd expected... the last two questions were a little hard. There wasn't much to write for the last six marker (xylem, phloem, transpiration, osmosis, active transport, root hair cells) and the one before that was slightly wierd. Actually I quite disliked question 5.

Also for the tick box on whether minerals moving from a high concentration in the soil into a low concentration in the plant - that's diffusion? Unless I misread the question and it's active transport.

EDIT: And yeah to be fair it was annoying that stuff on the heart and digestion system (asides from six marker) didn't come up. Would've been nice also if there had been a six marker on protein synthesis as there is a lot of stuff to write!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
The majority of my year found it incredibly easy though and therefore if everyone has done well, the grade boundaries will be higher. Hooray!:hmpf::hmpf:
Reply 12
Original post by Clai
It was pretty easy but not as easy as I'd expected... the last two questions were a little hard. There wasn't much to write for the last six marker (xylem, phloem, transpiration, osmosis, active transport, root hair cells) and the one before that was slightly wierd. Actually I quite disliked question 5.

Also for the tick box on whether minerals moving from a high concentration in the soil into a low concentration in the plant - that's diffusion? Unless I misread the question and it's active transport.

EDIT: And yeah to be fair it was annoying that stuff on the heart and digestion system (asides from six marker) didn't come up. Would've been nice also if there had been a six marker on protein synthesis as there is a lot of stuff to write!

I put diffusion. I thought it was active transport but there was no option for active transport. I wrote about xylem, phloem, osmosis, active transport and root hair cells in that question too but when I looked at it, it was about 5 lines and didn't seem enough to get 6 marks.
Original post by Katie97
The majority of my year found it incredibly easy though and therefore if everyone has done well, the grade boundaries will be higher. Hooray!:hmpf::hmpf:

Surely it's better for you if everyone else found it hard and the grade boundaries are low? Unless you know you've aced it of course.
Reply 14
does anyone else think that the first question wasn't very well worded?
Reply 15
Original post by Clai
Surely it's better for you if everyone else found it hard and the grade boundaries are low? Unless you know you've aced it of course.

It would, I was being sarcastic. :frown:

I got the whole first page wrong. Wrote transcription instead of translation. What did you all put for the land animals not evolving until enough oxygen was in the air question?
Original post by flash2013
does anyone else think that the first question wasn't very well worded?

Yeah same it was terribly worded! They didn't make it clear whether the codon table they gave was referring to what the tRNA codon was or what the tRNA codon attached itself to, so you had to work it out yourself.
Original post by Katie97
It would, I was being sarcastic. :frown:

I got the whole first page wrong. Wrote transcription instead of translation. What did you all put for the land animals not evolving until enough oxygen was in the air question?

Oh right sorry! :redface: Well since oxygen is needed for respiration, which produces energy, which can be used in growth, then naturally a lack of oxygen means they cannot carry out as much respiration and therefore grow as much. You can never tell with those questions though because they are asking you to speculate using what you know and your logic.
Reply 18
Original post by Clai
Yeah same it was terribly worded! They didn't make it clear whether the codon table they gave was referring to what the tRNA codon was or what the tRNA codon attached itself to, so you had to work it out yourself.

i cant remember what the answer was but i put something like: TAA JSS WER (just random letters as an example)
Original post by flash2013
i cant remember what the answer was but i put something like: TAA JSS WER (just random letters as an example)

Yeah you just had to write out the amino acids that it would code for, and there were three of them with three letters so yeah, what you put but with different letters :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending