The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Well compare our midfield, notably the wingers and strikers a season ago and now. We're playing a totally different style of play. It worked seamlessly earlier in the season but we've changed from a front 3 of drogba, malouda, kalou to torres, hazard, moses and oscar the past season, with the likes of essien and meireles leaving in midfield too, lampard being phased out while we're at it and mata obviously coming in last season.

Meaning we have to play a totally different style of play focusing more on possession play/high pressure counter attacking than our old long ball tactic dropping deep and bullying players with strength.

The difference between our play in the CL final and europe this season is pretty evident tbf.

So are Chelsea in transition again now that Mou has come back? Any thoughts on what will happen to the 3 amigo's
Reply 3381
Original post by cleveradam
Robben and Ribery don't mind going back into defense to get the ball.
Hazard rarely goes back to defend and Oscar would probably be slammed if he were to attempt to defend because he's just too weak.
David Luiz can play the Schweinstiger role well though if he gets the chance.

Yeah I know but that's to do with defending, not attacking so it wouldn't affect the fluidity of the play, if anything us having those 3 in set positions during the match should make us better defensively. Thomas muller did the same thing when he played out wide. But it can be taught. Telling a couple of players to get back when being hit on the counter isn't too hard. Also oscar can just go to the gym and hit the protein shakes its not that hard.
Most of the time if we have a good BBM/DLP in the middle controlling the game we wouldn't need the wingers going back as much.
Reply 3382
Original post by jam277
By youth he means youth academy, I understand the problems with chelsea, lets be honest here our youth prospects at the time were crap, we'd come up with one good player of a chelsea mainstay quality every ten years. He did fairly well with porto however. Carvalho being the main example, he also promoted bosingwa too and had a fairly young squad.

With inter he did use balotelli quite a bit, in fact balotelli has had the most appearances in a season under jose mourinho than any other manager.
He could have kept bonucci but tbh he was part of the milito deal. He was also able to promote santon.

However the problem has never been him not being able to use a young squad. Real madrid are a testiment to that, di maria, ozil, khedira, marcelo, benzema were crucial parts of the team. The problem has been promoting players from the youth academy directly, but if we look at most managers and teams, the only teams who have done that very successfully recently from academy players have been bayern, barcelona and AC milan, arsenal too to an extent recently(not in the early wenger era though as buying a load of french players for cheap in a golden age of french football is nothing major, people do the same thing with germany now) but its a very hard job to do.

If we look at youth academy players/people who have come through castilla he's used, Callejon, granero and morata are the first 3 that come to mind, jese rodriguez and nacho as well in fact nacho even got a decent run in the team last season. I think he made a mistake in selling dani carvajal as he could have been useful this season at right back instead of putting essien there but real are getting him back anyway.

I'd say that mourinho has done what he could with the youth.

Good post.
Reply 3383
Original post by sevchenko
So are Chelsea in transition again now that Mou has come back? Any thoughts on what will happen to the 3 amigo's

Not in transition, we have the team right now. Unlike the 2 previous seasons where we've had to adapt to a new manager and change an ageing squad.

At most we need a striker, a winger for depth/KDB and A CB/DM depending on where luiz is playing and I can't see anyone but us past the title. Right now we're serious title contenders and can't see us anywhere under 3rd place. But with those signings we'll come first with around 90 points.

The three amigos will be a main part of the team next season, if we keep KDB however there will be mainly rotation between him and oscar, if we get schurle and loan/sell KDB however he'll be on the bench until an injury crisis happens or when we need to do a ****load of defending on the wings but still need an attacking/counterattacking threat of some sort from the wing(the super cup vs bayern e.g. would be a good game for schurle)
(edited 10 years ago)
I just hope Torres leaves Or just bring him on in every league game after the 70th minute which he normally does well in - pretty weird.
Need 1 big striker signing - I just hope Cavani doesn't go **** like Torres... chances of that happening?
Original post by Cable

At Madrid, they had better youth prospects and signings. And Jose did make use of them. Off the top of my head, he has given Morata, Callejon, Varane, Di Maria, Khedira a lot of games altogether.

Callejon is 24 now I believe, hardly youth. (Granero was bought, not from the castilla. - this was in another post) And where youve got Di Maria and Khedira from I don't know! Both were bought as established first team players.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3386
Original post by cleveradam
I just hope Torres leaves Or just bring him on in every league game after the 70th minute which he normally does well in - pretty weird.
Need 1 big striker signing - I just hope Cavani doesn't go **** like Torres... chances of that happening?

Very very unlikely, cavani has been in the form of his life for a good 3 seasons and is just a general complete forward.

Torres was mismanaged by the liverpool physios and rushed it to the world cup, further aggravating his hamstring, this then made him slower. Add hodgson playing terrible football and destroying torres confidence, then us then buying torres and burying any form of confidence he may have had(can't believe the guy has a champions league medal for us) and that's what you get, a striker who struggles to get past his man, just about has the ability to do so(not as much as before) but doesn't as he's not confident enough in his own ability. He probably sleeps at night thinking that he's not worth £50m.

Funnily enough I still think that we can save torres. But we don't have time for that.
Reply 3387
Original post by nicseymour
Callejon is 24 now I believe, hardly youth. (Granero was bought, not from the castilla. - this was in another post) And where youve got Di Maria and Khedira from I don't know! Both were bought as established first team players.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Granero and callejon both came from the castilla then went to other clubs(getafe and espanyol respectively) then came back to madrid. So I'd say he's a youth product.

I said that they count as young people who's come from castilla that he's used. Granero was pretty much on 'loan' to getafe and had 'madrid DNA' in him, similar to what has happened with dani carvajal, same goes with callejon.
Reply 3388
Original post by nicseymour

Posted from TSR Mobile

Callejon came through the youth system in Madrid.

I apologize about Di Maria and Khedira. But they are relatively young players and came from lesser teams before Jose chucked them straight into the starting team.

The gist of my point was that Jose can work with young players. I see no reason why he can't stay at Chelsea for a relatively long time and promote some youngsters from the youth academy, then develop them into good players.
Reply 3389
Mourinho said in his press conference that both Lukaku and KDB are ready to be part of his squad. We know Lukaku is definitely coming back, and Mourinho apparently hasn't spoken to KDB yet which he said he wants to do first, so I think it's quite likely KDB will return next season. IIRC he created more clear cut chances in the Bundesliga last season than any other player bar Ribery which is very impressive.

Apparently we've signed Lazar Markovic, but are loaning him out.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8768815/Transfer-news-Partizan-Belgrade-claim-Lazar-Markovic-belongs-to-Chelsea
Reply 3390
Original post by jam277
Where did you get that from? Plus anyway he's within his right to say that. He's a top manager with a proven track record to boot. It's not like it's harry redknapp or alex mcleish saying this.

You cant put Redknapp and Mcleish in the same statement, its disrespectful
Reply 3391
Original post by yaboy
You cant put Redknapp and Mcleish in the same statement, its disrespectful

What do they both have in common, their only major honours in england are a domestic cup and they've only won it once, both teams are no longer in the premiership either.
Original post by jam277
What do they both have in common, their only major honours in england are a domestic cup and they've only won it once, both teams are no longer in the premiership either.

Redknapp won the FA Cup during a time at Portsmouth that ended up costing them being placed in administration for which teams in the Football League have been punished for while they have escaped having their FA Cup honours from being taken away from them. McLeish won the League Cup without getting his team in administration to do so.
Reply 3393
Original post by jam277

This.

Redknapp's horifically overrated, the only redeeming feature of him I can see is that he can get players performing for him, other than the overpaid egocentric moron's at QPR.

That and he looks like his skin is on inside out.
Reply 3394
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Redknapp won the FA Cup during a time at Portsmouth that ended up costing them being placed in administration for which teams in the Football League have been punished for while they have escaped having their FA Cup honours from being taken away from them. McLeish won the League Cup without getting his team in administration to do so.

Yup. At least McLeish did his business with integrity. Personally villa were spiraling down anyway under houllier and got forced to sell his two best players, who pays 24m for bent too anyway? Redknapp is a motivator and a whiner, nothing else.

Although McLeish is statistically villa's worse manager with a win percentage of 21.4%. But my statement is probably more disrespectful to McLeish than it is to Redknapp.

Original post by Musester
This.

Redknapp's horifically overrated, the only redeeming feature of him I can see is that he can get players performing for him, other than the overpaid egocentric moron's at QPR.

That and he looks like his skin is on inside out.

Yeah pretty much share my same thoughts on candlewax. I still remember the tottenham title talk a year and a half ago and I said to my friends that tottenham will not be in the CL next season. :facepalm2: at least their manager is less of a **** than him.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Yup. At least McLeish did his business with integrity. Personally villa were spiraling down anyway under houllier and got forced to sell his two best players, who pays 24m for bent too anyway? Redknapp is a motivator and a whiner, nothing else.

Although McLeish is statistically villa's worse manager with a win percentage of 21.4%. But my statement is probably more disrespectful to McLeish than it is to Redknapp.

And Redknapp does interviews from his car window. Didn't realise exactly how bad McLeish's record was but you'd have to try and take into context with the squad he has as I remember David O'Leary was once their worst manager.
Reply 3396
Original post by NDGAARONDI
And Redknapp does interviews from his car window.

You actually serious?
Reply 3397
Damn the press sure are on Jose's dick.
Reply 3398
Original post by jam277

I thought you said said Redknapp was a winner.....Had a heart attack for a second there........
Reply 3399
Original post by 419
Damn the press sure are on Jose's dick.

He hasn't even said anything interesting yet.

How much of redknapps dog's salary gets taxed anyway?

Latest