The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Music Bmus Thread

Just wondering if there is anyone else that is starting in September 2013 to study music?
I'm going into 2nd Year of the BMus in September, I know it's not quite the same, but if you have any questions let me know! It's a fantastic course, I love it. :biggrin:

Who knows, you could be my academic child...
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by christielovesyou
I'm going into 2nd Year of the BMus in September, I know it's not quite the same, but if you have any questions let me know! It's a fantastic course, I love it. :biggrin:

Who knows, you could be my academic child...

Oh it's so great to hear from someone that knows about the course, I know no one haha.

What did you do for the other 40 credits that you need to do, did you do another subject or more music subjects, that's something that I can't decide.
Original post by luluabc123
Oh it's so great to hear from someone that knows about the course, I know no one haha.

What did you do for the other 40 credits that you need to do, did you do another subject or more music subjects, that's something that I can't decide.

I did Italian both semesters, but the majority of music students just do more music modules - there was only about two of us in my whole year (around 30 people) who did outside subjects. I had far fewer essays and I liked having some variety (as well as getting to mix with students from different degree programmes), but on the other hand, my exams finished a week later than everyone else's, so it's swings and roundabouts really...

You don't get to do any outside subjects in second year though (you can in third or fourth year) so I'd say if there's something you're interested in now, get it out of the way in first year because it's probaby not much fun juggling an outside course and honours courses. I don't know though, I might go back on that and do an outside course in fourth year for some light dissertation relief. :tongue:

What do you play? We'll share performance seminars! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I did Italian both semesters, but the majority of music students just do more music modules - there was only about two of us in my whole year (around 30 people) who did outside subjects. I had far fewer essays and I liked having some variety (as well as getting to mix with students from different degree programmes), but on the other hand, my exams finished a week later than everyone else's, so it's swings and roundabouts really...

You don't get to do any outside subjects in second year though (you can in third or fourth year) so I'd say if there's something you're interested in now, get it out of the way in first year because it's probaby not much fun juggling an outside course and honours courses. I don't know though, I might go back on that and do an outside course in fourth year for some light dissertation relief. :tongue:

What do you play? We'll share performance seminars! :smile:

I think I'll probably stick to the extra music modules then, I was thinking about French since I did Advanced Higher this year but I might just leave it.

I play violin, what about you? I actually can't wait to come and be involved in the orchestras and stuff, but there are so many haha.

Oh are you able to sort of jump about on different instruments? My second instrument is tuned percussion, I don't necessarily want to study it because I want to focus on violin but I have grade 8 in percussion and it's not something that I want to just throw away, is there ways that I'd be able to just play it for fun? I had got in Aberdeen University and if I had chosen to go there I would have actually been studying the two instruments.

Also, there is a big keyboard side to the course, isn't there? That's slightly worrying me, I am around grade 5 on the piano but I have never had lessons so I've taught myself completely and although I can play all the pieces out of the grade 5 exam book, I've never played the piano in front of people and basically don't have any confidence on the piano. Whereas I know most people play the piano as their first instruments, are there many people that are like me or am I going to be the wee loner that can't play keyboard very well? ahhh

Haha I'm so excited though, I can't wait to move to Edinburgh and be doing something I want to be doing around people that want to be doing the same as me haha :biggrin:
I'm a singer, but I play violin too. You should definitely join the Music Society (which is made up of chorus, sinfonia and symphony orchestra - sinfonia only auditions wind, symphony is fully auditioned) - that's how I met most of my best friends and I'm literally just back from touring Germany with them. :biggrin:

Yes, you can "jump about"! :smile: And plenty of people do - you don't actually have to say what your first study is (you can only get funded for two instruments though, and they expect piano to be one of them, so if you wanted to take lessons in all three you'd need to fund one yourself) and in performance seminars and exams, you can alternate between instruments. There was a girl in my year who did voice, trombone AND accompanying for her performance exam this year! So yeah, you're not limited at all.

As for piano, I was in exactly the same position - I basically lied my way into getting an offer by saying I was grade 5, when in actual fact, I had never had a piano lesson in my life and had only just started playing grade 5 pieces! However, I still passed both keyboard skills exams, and that was with only having lessons for semester one (because my teacher was horrible and completely shattered my self-esteem, so I quit). There were plenty of other people in the same position, and in all honesty, there are only a tiny handful of people in my year who are first study pianists. I wouldn't worry about it being "a big side" to the course though, as it's combined with performance, so as long as you are competent in both areas, you'll still pass - there's no pressure to be fantastic at both. Besides, the pass mark is only 40%! :tongue:

I'm sure you'll have a blast, and no doubt we shall meet in fresher's week - there's usually a music department mixer (with free wine!) and then the second years often organise an academic families adoption night where they wine and dine their academic children. :smile:
Reply 6
That's quite a relief to hear about the piano haha, yeah I basically lied my way in too, I had to play piano for my Aberdeen audition so I basically learned one grade 5 piece- the one my music teacher said was easiest haha. I can play more now though because I am sort of forcing myself to progress. I'd like to teach myself a grade 6 piece over the summer but God knows if that'll actually happen haha.

What is the difference between sinfonia and symphony apart from their audition process?

Ah I can't wait!!! :biggrin:
What is the difference between sinfonia and symphony apart from their audition process?

Basically - not to sound rude, because I'm in sinfonia - symphony is better, because it's fully auditioned, whereas for strings in sinfonia, they just expect you to be Grade 5/6-ish. This means symphony's repertoire is usually more challenging (although sinfonia still does quite difficult stuff - I'm around Grade 8 on violin and I still struggle with some of the sinfonia rep - goodness knows how a Grade 5 or 6 player would cope!). Sinfonia rehearses on a Saturday morning and symphony rehearse on a Monday evening. :smile:
Reply 8
Basically - not to sound rude, because I'm in sinfonia - symphony is better, because it's fully auditioned, whereas for strings in sinfonia, they just expect you to be Grade 5/6-ish. This means symphony's repertoire is usually more challenging (although sinfonia still does quite difficult stuff - I'm around Grade 8 on violin and I still struggle with some of the sinfonia rep - goodness knows how a Grade 5 or 6 player would cope!). Sinfonia rehearses on a Saturday morning and symphony rehearse on a Monday evening. :smile:

Haha I'm probably sounding really thick now, so they are basically both full orchestras but sinfonia is slightly easier because it isn't fully auditioned? Yeah I think I've got you haha.

Oh here's a question, in the course at all, do you need to do scales and stuff? I absolutely hate scales and i'd love them to sort of say 'she did scales for her grade 8, that's fine' but I'm seriously doubting that haha.
Haha I'm probably sounding really thick now, so they are basically both full orchestras but sinfonia is slightly easier because it isn't fully auditioned? Yeah I think I've got you haha.

Oh here's a question, in the course at all, do you need to do scales and stuff? I absolutely hate scales and i'd love them to sort of say 'she did scales for her grade 8, that's fine' but I'm seriously doubting that haha.

Basically, yeah. :wink: And no, you don't!
I have a question for current students...does Edinburgh's BMus program work in the same way as other Scottish degrees? As in, will you still take two subjects outside of Music with the option of changing your Honours after the second year? Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending