The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mladenov
Firstly, note that the cartesian product satisfies the conditions; it makes the corresponding diagram commute.
It turns out that, if A=mnA= \underline m \otimes \underline n and B=m×nB = \underline m \times \underline n are two different products, then ABA \cong B. Let the projective maps be π1:Am\pi_{1} : A \to \underline m; π2:An\pi_{2}: A \to \underline n; q1:Bmq_{1}: B \to \underline m; q2:Bnq_{2}: B \to \underline n. Further, there are two uniquely determined mappings f:ABf : A \to B and g:BAg: B \to A.
Therefore,
π1f=q1\pi_{1} \circ f = q_{1}
π2f=q2\pi_{2} \circ f = q_{2}
q1g=π1q_{1} \circ g = \pi_{1}
q2g=π2q_{2} \circ g = \pi_{2}
It follows, from the uniqueness of ff, that fg=idAf \circ g = id_{A}; similarly, gf=idBg \circ f = id_{B}.
Hence the result.

Spoiler

Excellent! :tongue: Note that in the case where we restrict ourselves to the category with objects consisting only of the sets N0\underline{\mathbb N_0} then m×n\underline{m \times n} is still an adequate product. Dually, the co-product here is m+n\underline{m + n}. This is yet another example of categorical products being "products" and co-products being "sums".

Spoiler

Original post by TheMagicMan
Yeah your edit of your first post cleared it up...can you do it using C1 maths and before (so very basic stuff only)?

I am not doing A levels, so I do not know what exactly this course contains.
But the problem is possible with very basic knowledge; I can attempt, but here is 2:35 AM...

What is this world where cubic residues mod 19 are quotable? :tongue:

Original post by jack.hadamard
Well, that was the intended outcome. :tongue:

:tongue:
Category theory, essentially, labelled A-level knowledge? :tongue: I wish Mac Lane and Eilenberg could see this. :biggrin:

So, are you already at Cornell or are you about to go there?

As when we had the debate yesterday, all you need to know to do the question is A-level, I didn't say it'd be elegant. :tongue: I'm sure Mac Lane et al. would be very pleased if category theory was taught in school.

Going to go assuming I pass my dissertation. :nothing:
Original post by ukdragon37

Going to go assuming I pass my dissertation. :nothing:

Do you want to go to Cornell? I kind of get the feeling that you are not very enthusiastic about it. I may be wrong, though. In any case, why do you get the thing done so you don't have to worry about 'passing' it (you know, 'didn't pass it' closes more doors than 'didn't want to go')? :smile:
Do you want to go to Cornell? I kind of get the feeling that you are not very enthusiastic about it. I may be wrong, though. In any case, why do you get the thing done so you don't have to worry about 'passing' it (you know, 'didn't pass it' closes more doors than 'didn't want to go')? :smile:

It's just Cambridge is so good and leaving for something that is potentially a worse experience (but also it might be an even better/eye-opening one) creates apprehension. :tongue:

I'm just demotivated (and you can't not feel rather tired at this stage of the game, where four years of mind-ravishing education have gone past) because it's pages upon pages of rather dry maths and I don't need to do very well in the dissertation to get a good grade overall.
Original post by Lord of the Flies
The numbers are mixed up, there appears to be two problems 214. Starting from the second 214 (your series Jkn), could you +1 to each question/solution number? I have amended mine.

You are quite right. Jkn is responsible for this plight.

Original post by Jkn
Oops there was a few typos! Especially in having f(x)=0 in the last paragraph but not at the end! Is it fine now?

I have noticed the other flaws. My point, though, is still valid.
Original post by ukdragon37

It's just Cambridge is so good and leaving for something that is potentially a worse experience (but also it might be an even better/eye-opening one) creates apprehension. :tongue:

Well, to reiterate, do it as best as you can (despite it being dry and annoying). Then, decide what is best for you. I assume Cornell are not going to chase you with a stick and complain too much, in case you decide not to go. Benefits of completing it: you will be viewed with better eyes when you say you want to stay at Cambridge; you will have a piece of work already done.
Well, to reiterate, do it as best as you can (despite it being dry and annoying). Then, decide what is best for you. I assume Cornell are not going to chase you with a stick and complain too much, in case you decide not to go. Benefits of completing it: you will be viewed with better eyes when you say you want to stay at Cambridge; you will have a piece of work already done.

:lol: Thanks, but staying at Cambridge is only a very remote option - it'd require much humiliating begging and backpedalling on all the preparatory stuff I've done for Cornell. I'm very much set on going (got my visa sorted and everything) but this last hurdle is just so annoying.
Original post by Jkn
Actually I believe ukdragon withdrew his problem :tongue:

That has nothing to do with it, ukdragon's problem is 224, the issue arised at 214.

Glad to see you back. :cool:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1589
Solution 224

The queue to the lift of the Eiffel tower does not take 6 minutes, it takes 2 hours. Thus LotF never gets to the top, people get injured from the falling coins, banarama gets arrested, and LotF goes to a nearby café to enjoy a glass of 1981 Petrus.

How fast are you on the stairs? :colone:
This technically isn't solvable for any function u(x). You need certain conditions on the integrability of u to hold (something like u continuous is sufficient but not necessary).

I believe a necessary and sufficient condition would be something along the lines of having a measure 0 set of discontinuities on the domain of y in the solution.

whoops.. u continuous, u(0)=u'(0)=0.

:wink:
That has nothing to do with it, ukdragon's problem is 224, the issue arised at 214.

Jkn

We all have our moments :wink: (Even if mine are frequent) :tongue:

Edit: Exam recently done Gets hideous answer....wonders for minutes why....can't add.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1592
Original post by MW24595
How fast are you on the stairs? :colone:

I've been to the Eiffel Tower, and it doesn't take 2 hours. It takes 2n hours, where n = the number of coins dropped from the top due to bananarama's shenanigans. :cool:
Reply 1593
Problem 228**

Calculate n=41nHnHn1\large \sum_{n=4}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n H_nH_{n-1}}, where Hn=k=1n1kH_n=\sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{1}{k}.

Hint:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Problem 229 *
Find 1eln(1+lnx) dx\int^e_1 \ln(1+lnx)\ dx giving your answer as a summation.
Note I think that it can be solved with just A-Level knowledge, I can't check my solution
(edited 10 years ago)
Solution 229

In the given range, 1eln(1+lnx)dx=n=1(1)n+1n1e(lnx)ndx=en=1(1)n+1(n1)!k=0n(1)nk1k!\begin{aligned} \displaystyle \int_{1}^{e} \ln (1+ \ln x)dx = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n} \int_{1}^{e} (\ln x)^{n}dx = e\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n+1}(n-1)!\sum_{k=0}^{n} (-1)^{n-k}\frac{1}{k!} \end{aligned}
Problem 230

How many triangles are there?

triangle.jpg

I think more mathematicians should be interested in cognitive psychology. :tongue:
Problem 230

triangle.jpg

I think more mathematicians should be interested in cognitive psychology. :tongue:

23?

I'd be surprised if that's right. I lost count a billion times.
Reply 1598
Problem 230

triangle.jpg

I hazard about 55? There are some really nice patterns in triangular numbers in there.
Original post by bananarama2
23?

It's significantly more than that. Roughly, people get this wrong 95% of the time. :tongue:

Original post by MW24595
I hazard about 55? ...

Nope. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest