The Student Room Group

OCR F297 Case Study

Scroll to see replies

I am so stressing for this exam! Is anyone else finding it hard to revise for?!?
Reply 101
How do you answer part 2 of the decision tree question? (18 marker)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rdrd
How do you answer part 2 of the decision tree question? (18 marker)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends what the Q is.
If it asks what CCL should choose to do, i would either do 2 advantages and 1 disadvantage of whatever the decision tree suggested or 1 advantage, 1 disadvantage and 1 paragraph suggesting a different option.
Original post by dholmes2013
There really are not many reasons for the diversification, but all you can do tbh is use what Ned has said in the case study:

- There are synergies between the two businesses in retail management and merchandising (evaluate this by saying that the synergies are weak and minimal)
- The skills required to sell bicycles and golfing equipment are the same (evaluate this by saying the product knowledge is different = staff training)
- The golf shop should lead to higher revenues and therefore increased profits for CCL, to rise the dangerously low 2.76%

Thank you so much!
Reply 104
Had few questions marked today by my teacher and he was saying im being to descriptive he said to me "i should walk into that exam room with the mine frame that i am there to sort this company out" he said u cant be wrong ( well within reason ) as long as u explain why you believe ccl should do something then u will get the level 4 marks. who agrees with that ? just want to know if he is correct or not ?
is this the original thread to this exam?...looks like not many people are taking it.. lol
Original post by frosty122
Had few questions marked today by my teacher and he was saying im being to descriptive he said to me "i should walk into that exam room with the mine frame that i am there to sort this company out" he said u cant be wrong ( well within reason ) as long as u explain why you believe ccl should do something then u will get the level 4 marks. who agrees with that ? just want to know if he is correct or not ?

He is probably right to some extent, you definately need to be more analytical than descriptive, thats where you will gain the marks. As for not being able to be wrong, id probably say you can be wrong but i think if you write with confidence and good business knowledge then its very likely you will get the marks for it and gain the level 4's, there are so many different things you could say so just make sure your reasons are relevant and realistic to CCL and also ensure you use the case for example quote figures etc from it and you should be fine.
Reply 107
also this question "evaluate factors influencing the demand for ccls product and bicycle hire ? would i talk about macro economic factors ?
Does anybody else think the overheads for Rockingham Forest Peddlers is extremely high? (£234,000) considering they have a 10 year free lease on the outlet and only 2 staff members? I cant think what could account for such a huge amount of money. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated!

As far as im aware off (im not aware of much lol) The L4, comes from your recommendation. Thinking of ccl as your own business and wanting it to be successful. If you come to a decision for example They shouldn't diversify, say why.. Then your level 4 should be something like "I would suggest they rather focus on peddlers which isnt breaking even/ e commerce because it has fewer risks compared to diversification and will give them more profit in the short term" (btw i just that made that up and dont know if its even true. So just saying that by talking about whats good or bad, then recommending to make improvements because (then giving a reason why) will gain level 4?

Someone help me out if im wrong... ?
(edited 10 years ago)
How likely is ARR calculation to come up.. considering in the case study theirs a decision tree with blanks? and if it would, then what for?
also this question "evaluate factors influencing the demand for ccls product and bicycle hire ? would i talk about macro economic factors ?

Yes, personally i would split it up in to monetary and fiscal policy (with a greater emphasis on fiscal policy for this business). I would also talk about the activities of their competitors, weather and unemployment rates.
Reply 112
Is there anyone that has actually planned all the essays from the APT itself ? Would be useful to look through some plans if anybody has any ?
Original post by revise7869
How likely is ARR calculation to come up.. considering in the case study theirs a decision tree with blanks? and if it would, then what for?

for what?!!!
Original post by Devina-S
for what?!!!

Thats what I wanna know... everyone seems to be revising it..

ARR stands for accounting rate of return and is used by business's to assess the financial reward of an investment, in order to decide whether to go ahead with it or not. It basically compares how much money you will get back compared to what you invested. In terms of this case, it could come up in terms of the proposed investment in solar panels and the proposal of acquiring the golf shop.

I think they are just working it out for the odd thing so they can include it in their essays, not for the 13 marker.
Original post by aliali8
Does anyone know how to apply the ratios to answers? Where would you use what ratio?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did a question on "To what extent should CCL be guided towards business decisions by different types of quantitative analysis?"

They could ratio analysis to measure their current performance before embarking on new ventures or setting objectives. Profitability ratio to see their profit margins and to see if their objectives of bringing Rockingham to break-even is feasible and to see if there is any point in trying to increase the proportion of e-commerce to 55% as they already account for 51.7% of the total revenue.
Original post by ollymurslove
i'd talk about different ways they can be more successful. Mention how its vague and the objective is not smart so it depends how the measure success. I'd mention the 4 promo strategies mentioned in the case study, but then i'd mention that the net profit margin would definitely need to be increased for them to expand or anything!

thank you :smile:
Reply 119

My teacher went on the course for this exam and he said the head examiner said the best way to answer questions is to answer them as though the examiner is say across from you and you're talking to them. You are trying to fix this business! We're here to give them the best advice we can :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending