The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Disagree with your analysis.

Yes Arsenal have this reported 50% sell on fee so they can pay less money for him but you've ignored the bit about Arsenal receiving 30mil if Man Utd were to bid for him.

So the actual choice would be:
Man Utd bid 60mil (and Arsenal would receive 30mil); or
Arsenal could bid 30mil.

So the net effect between the two choices in terms of finances is some 60mil (+ wages) for Arsenal - either receive 30mil or spend 30mil - which is a 60mil difference.

It's not an easy decision to make by Arsenal - Fabregas would want huge wages (circa 100-175k no doubt) which would impact Arsenal's wage structure too.

Well no club would offer near 60m for Fabregas(just used that figure to highlight how much would be needed to make Arsenal have to think twice about buying him), the upper limit is 40m so Arsenal's choice would then be, have a 40m player for 20m, or receive 20m cash. Arsenal can easily afford that and I'm 100% sure Wenger wouldnt even have to think about it.At worst we're indifferent, and the added benefit of preventing him join Utd needs to be considered as well.

So the bottom line is that no club will pay what is required(60m+) to 'outbid' Arsenal given the clauses and Fabregas will almost certainly never join any other club.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4942
Lewandwoski not joining Bayern this summer according to their CEO, could still snatch him up for a decent fee, would be a great signing.

Nani to decide future this week apparently, ridiculous to let him go in my opinion, our best winger and at the price of about 10-15mil of selling him, we'd have to double that to replace him, look at how much the likes of Rodriguez,Hazard and Moura went for and they were EPL unproven.
Reply 4943
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8767090/Transfer-news-Monaco-starlet-Nampalys-Mendy-to-leave-as-free-agent

Apparently we want him, a new Makalele for free sounds to good to be true, but would be a good addition.
Reply 4944
Original post by rohitbd
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8767090/Transfer-news-Monaco-starlet-Nampalys-Mendy-to-leave-as-free-agent

Apparently we want him, a new Makalele for free sounds to good to be true, but would be a good addition.

It's a free transfer, what could possibly go wrong? Especially after we spent £7m on Bebe :lol:
Reply 4945
Original post by rohitbd

Definitely worth a shot

I love and hate transfer season!

I wish names like Fabregas and Thiago wouldn't get thrown around so freely, it gets my hopes up! :frown:
Boring how Moyes isn't officially in the job yet. I want my press conferences and player unveilings etc
Oh look another one

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Club-News/2013/Jun/manchester-united-sign-deal-with-mexican-banking-group-invex.aspx?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=twitterManUtdPO

Manchester United have signed a four-year sponsorship with Mexican banking group INVEX.

This new agreement will give INVEX the exclusive rights to produce and market Manchester United branded credit cards to the club’s 24 million Mexican followers.
Lewandwoski would be a great signing for United if they managed to pinch him.
Lewandowski wouldnt fit into our formation. He'd be pointless.
Original post by zKlown
I wish names like Fabregas and Thiago wouldn't get thrown around so freely, it gets my hopes up! :frown:

I treat anything as complete BS until a respectable source picks it up. Not goal.com, twitter, talksport, tabloids and anything else of that ilk. There are few things I hate more than ''silly season'', roll on August.
Reply 4951
Original post by Zürich

So the bottom line is that no club will pay what is required(60m+) to 'outbid' Arsenal given the clauses and Fabregas will almost certainly never join any other club.

The funny thing is that arsenal don't need him.. If arsenal NEEDED fabregas we wouldn't have a chance of getting him.. Fabregas watches the PL all the time. And would be a fool to pass up the opportunity of a lifetime...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cost
The funny thing is that arsenal don't need him.. If arsenal NEEDED fabregas we wouldn't have a chance of getting him.. Fabregas watches the PL all the time. And would be a fool to pass up the opportunity of a lifetime...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fabregas would not come to united even if barca accepted their offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tommyjw
Lewandowski wouldnt fit into our formation. He'd be pointless.
He wouldn't fit into Fergie's formation. Considering the manager hasn't started yet, you can't really say what our formation is.

Either way he would be a luxury signing as we have players to fill the position but it depends how much he is going for. If he's not leaving for Bayern this summer its basically shift him to somewhere else now or effectively pay so Bayern to take him in a year. I don't think having two top strikers is overkill considering the situation of City or Madrid. RVP we know can play wide or central behind another or up top, if Moyes was opting for a 4-3-3 or some variant then you could fit them both on the pitch at the same time even.

As for the Fabregas talk, as unlikely as it is, I highly doubt the assumption Arsenal would receive 50% of any sell on fee applies to their own fee, that would be a ridiculous clause.

I wonder if there is any truth to the Nampalys Mendy rumour, would seem a very astute decision for a young player like him who is surely looking at not only playing in a top side, but as promising young player based in Monaco a hefty pay packet. Unusually so for a young player, I guess perhaps his agent would make more moving clubs rather than resigning. Would seem like the kind of player Moyes likes, cheap and on the rise.

"Lowdown" on him
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Features/2013/Jun/pass-notes-guillermo-varela-lowdown-and-profile-on-manchester-united-new-signing.aspx

What sort of a player is he?
He's a quick, aggressive right-back who has a real willingness to defend. In that respect, he's not a typical South American defender in terms of wanting to be a forward player and joining in attacks as a winger.

What are his strengths?
As well as his desire to defend, he is a composed individual and nothing seems to faze him. Overall, he's a no-nonsense defender who reads the game well and uses his intelligence.

What can he improve on?
His pace allows him to get forward to join attacks quickly but his attacking work is probably the area he will aim to develop most at United.

Why has he not been playing regularly for Penarol?
Penarol manager Jorge Da Silva arrived in February 2012 and brought with him a number of players from his former club, Banfield. This limited Varela’s first-team opportunities.

When did he catch United's eye?
Playing in the Under-20 World Cup qualifiers for Uruguay in Argentina. He was playing with team-mates he was not familiar with and yet still displayed a good understanding of the game. Despite a tough schedule in very hot temperatures, his stamina and strength shone through while other players wilted.

How did his trial period at Carrington pan out?
He was with the first team for 10 days or so at the end of the season. It was a unique trial in many ways because he trained with the first team during his entire spell. Obviously, if you're not up to that level, you get exposed quickly in the first-team group but his performances are believed to have impressed Sir Alex and the rest of the players.

Which former United player is he most like?
Although he is not as big physically yet, there is a little bit of Gabriel Heinze's style about him in terms of his approach to the game. If he does as well as the Argentinian, everybody will be delighted.

Will he be able to settle in a new country?
There is already a group of young Spanish-speakers at Old Trafford the likes of David De Gea, Javier Hernandez and Angelo Henriquez who can help him with the language and adapting to life in Manchester. Hernandez was a big help on the training pitch during his trial period, passing on the coaching instructions.

So, what's next?
The Under-20 World Cup in Turkey (21 June to 13 July). It will be another challenge for him and United have a good presence at the tournament (Henriquez with Chile; Tom Thorpe, Sam Johnstone and Larnell Cole with England). Brazil and Argentina did not qualify, which was a surprise, but it gives other teams and players a chance to impress and the Reds will be keeping a close eye on events.

Bit random, but things like this make me realise I love Hernandez- the bit where he passes on instructions:tongue: Such a role model, never complains just does his job. Probably my favourite United player tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is that guy next to him Ed Woodward?
Original post by cheetahs56
Bit random, but things like this make me realise I love Hernandez- the bit where he passes on instructions:tongue: Such a role model, never complains just does his job. Probably my favourite United player tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hernandez is pretty damn awesome. He's the kind of player I refuse to sell on FM even if he really has no place in my team anymore.

Not Edd Woodward, not creepy enough.

Tis Michael Bolingbroke
Original post by TH3-FL45H

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's more likely that i'll sign for Manchester United than Cesc Fabregas. One example of why I ****ing hate this time of year. Anyone can make up a story and have loads of people believe it.
Original post by TH3-FL45H

Posted from TSR Mobile

He aint coming to Arsenal either :tongue:

Latest