The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by jonnyb123
Ah yeah that's a good one cheers!

Anybody got anything for the advantages of artificial fertilisers?

Fasting acting
Can easily be stored
Exact composition is known
Original post by stoppy123
It's ATP Synthase, not ATPase, ATPase breaks down ATP, whilst ATP synthase makes ATP.

ATPase is the universal term for the enzyme because the mechanism involved in the production of ATP can also be reversed to maintain the proton gradient...AQA will accept either
It's ATP Synthase, not ATPase, ATPase breaks down ATP, whilst ATP synthase makes ATP.

no no we've been over this, the two are basically interchangeable in the mark scheme, as they can both be made to do the opposite reactions. In the mark scheme for production of ATP in mitochondria, there have been marking points for both ATPase and ATP synthase, and once they even only accepted ATPase!
Original post by Blob2491
ATPase is the universal term for the enzyme because the mechanism involved in the production of ATP can also be reversed to maintain the proton gradient...AQA will accept either

Fair enough, just making sure :colondollar:
Original post by jonnyb123
no no we've been over this, the two are basically interchangeable in the mark scheme, as they can both be made to do the opposite reactions. In the mark scheme for production of ATP in mitochondria, there have been marking points for both ATPase and ATP synthase, and once they even only accepted ATPase!

Yeah I get it now haha, was just being pedantic :-)
Original post by safis
Fasting acting
Can easily be stored
Exact composition is known

Easily distributed, much easier to say, one pellet of fertiliser every 10cm cubed rather than one heap of manure per 10cm :wink:

Brilliant thank you both!
Reply 806
Prediction for 5 marker : compare natural and agricultural ecosystems
Can someone tell me some ethical issues concerning the enhancement of productivity ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do we need to know for conservation, my teacher just said it would be in the context of an application question
Original post by Blob2491
What do we need to know for conservation, my teacher just said it would be in the context of an application question

I reckon maybe know some methods, and why it's done?
Just done the June 2012 paper and got 45/75. I'm terrible at applying respiration to questions, also I never know what to write for the nitrogen cycle ones :frown:
Original post by laser174572
It's almost impossible to predict, but looking at January's paper, neither succession nor the carbon cycle came up, so perhaps expect those. Also in general they haven't really asked much about global warming or conservation management, so those topics could come up, too

P.S. sorry for the multiple posts, I couldn't work out how to multi-quote! :\

What would you talk about conservation management?
Original post by Learner_108
Can someone tell me some ethical issues concerning the enhancement of productivity ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could argue that to limit movement, the cows have to be in confined spaces.

Chickens get their beaks cut as they become aggressive.
Original post by safis
Prediction for 5 marker : compare natural and agricultural ecosystems

Natural ecosystems

Have species adapted to the abiotic and biotic factors

Have a balanced predator prey relationship.

Much higher genetic and species diversity

Agrilcultural ecosystems

Low species diversity

All species genetically similiar

Pests are controlled

Fertilisers used to enhance growth

Reply 814
can someone help me on standard deviation? what does a high standard deviation mean, completely forgot it from last year
Reply 815
can someone explain question 7-e JAN 13 paper.
I don't get what ms says ; less effect on the environment ; concentrated due to evaporation; pesticide diluted in water;
How are the concentrations in the question related to these answers?? ( .001and 10 rather than .1 and 1.6 mg dm-3)
Reply 816
can some please help on this q: what is the probabilty that the next child born to indivuals b and c will be a girl with night blindness?? one parent has night blindness and the allele is N dominant over normal vision n. so parents are Nn and nn.

i dont know how to work it out please help!
In the krebs cycle is it reduced NAD or just NAD that's produced? ahh last minture stress
Original post by Henn
can someone help me on standard deviation? what does a high standard deviation mean, completely forgot it from last year

High standard deviation means there is a high variance around the mean.

For example

Even though the mean would be around 40-50 there is lots of results which aren't near that value.

When using it in a question about, let's say productivity, one food may have had highest productivity, but high standard deviation.

So you say....Although one food had the highest productivity, it had high standard deviation, meaning some of the results may not have had high productivity, meaning this food may not produce the highest productivity.
Original post by Starlight94
In the krebs cycle is it reduced NAD or just NAD that's produced? ahh last minture stress

Reduced NAD, they accept the hydrogens from the carbon compounds.

Latest

Trending

Trending