The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 4 6BI04 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
right im off to bed. Good night everyone and good luck i hope the exam is to everyone's tastes
Reply 461
what is the difference between forensic entomology and the stage of succession??
Reply 462
Original post by Sravya
Yes please and thanks

No problem :smile:
Secondary succession:
The evolution of an ecosystem from existing soil that is clear of vegetation, due to fires, floods or human disturbances. Therefore soil is already formed and contains seeds, plants, nutrients etc. So there will be a higher number of plants already present. Therefore succesion occurs much faster and the rate ag which is reaches climax community depends on rainfall, temperature and soil fertility.
can anyone please summarise antibiotic resistance for me? thanks
Reply 464
Original post by superwhatman
can anyone please summarise antibiotic resistance for me? thanks

Becomes resistant - passes it on. If mutation occurs (which it does usually in bacteria) the antibiotic won't work. Therefore new drugs are needed

Did that help? :s-smilie:
Original post by HQazi
Becomes resistant - passes it on. If mutation occurs (which it does usually in bacteria) the antibiotic won't work. Therefore new drugs are needed

Did that help? :s-smilie:

hah i guess a bit , i thought there were more steps than that, but thanks anyways :smile:
Reply 466
Original post by superwhatman
hah i guess a bit , i thought there were more steps than that, but thanks anyways :smile:

Sorry :frown:
Goodluck for tomorrow, I'm gonna try and sleep now
Reply 467
Goodluck to all tomorrow! Night!
I know for a fact I'll be struggling for time on this paper. It carries more marks than AS and yet the time constraints are exactly the same. It's ridiculous.
Reply 469
Original post by nukethemaly
I know for a fact I'll be struggling for time on this paper. It carries more marks than AS and yet the time constraints are exactly the same. It's ridiculous.

AYY What time is the exam tommorow?
I cant sleep -_- for sure i would have forgotten everything i learnt by 2moro
Original post by SKK94
Alright, I'm off! Good Luck everyone!
Stay sharp and give it your best! :biggrin:

haha...

All the best :wink:
Reply 472
So everyone's gone to sleep then :creep:
Reply 473
hey guys for the ecology practical what are the main points you have to write?
Original post by raves
hey guys for the ecology practical what are the main points you have to write?

to measure abundence :
Select appropriate quardat
Select appropriate counting technqiue (counting individually, or percentage cover)
Select appropriate sampling technique (random or systematic)

if random : divide area into grids, use 2 randomly genenrated numb to pick a grid coordinate and sample from the area
if systematic : deivide the area into grids and sample frm evry nth grid. value for n is determind by size of area ure sampling in

-repeat and take an average

DIstribution:

same as above...but
-talk about laying out a transect line along the envrionmental gradient.
-repeat and take an average by turning ur transect into a belt
-plot ur results as a kite diagram

another method is point quadrat. where pins are lowered systematiclay on to vegetation. any hits and misses are recorded

% cover = ( hits/ hits + misses ) x 100

these are the main points. i hope u know the rest? like how to choose a suitable region for the experiment, how to measure external abiotic factors, how to keep the factors constant ...etc etc?

I hope this helps. sorry if its too long, btw, when do u have xam?? like how many hors frm now? and dont mind the spellin mistakes :biggrin:
Reply 475
Original post by iwantopas19
to measure abundence : Select appropriate quardatSelect appropriate counting technqiue (counting individually, or percentage cover)Select appropriate sampling technique (random or systematic) if random : divide area into grids, use 2 randomly genenrated numb to pick a grid coordinate and sample from the area if systematic : deivide the area into grids and sample frm evry nth grid. value for n is determind by size of area ure sampling in-repeat and take an averageDIstribution: same as above...but-talk about laying out a transect line along the envrionmental gradient. -repeat and take an average by turning ur transect into a belt-plot ur results as a kite diagramanother method is point quadrat. where pins are lowered systematiclay on to vegetation. any hits and misses are recorded% cover = ( hits/ hits + misses ) x 100 these are the main points. i hope u know the rest? like how to choose a suitable region for the experiment, how to measure external abiotic factors, how to keep the factors constant ...etc etc? I hope this helps. sorry if its too long, btw, when do u have xam?? like how many hors frm now? and dont mind the spellin mistakes :biggrin:
thaaank you :biggrin: like 4 more hoursss! im so scared :/ im doing the june 2012 one and its pretty hard :/ what time is yours?
Original post by raves
thaaank you :biggrin: like 4 more hoursss! im so scared :/ im doing the june 2012 one and its pretty hard :/ what time is yours?

2 more hours!!!! im in the same situation. so nervous :/
Funny cause he had the Bio yesterday and the exam was all based on freaking Flowers and stuff, I mean nothing to do with blood, veins or most things that we did but I hope you guys do well I know that I at least got an A as I felt that I missed A* due to the last question, so make sure you are ready for big questions :P.
Wait this is A level? Well you guys got more knowledge than me so don't listen to my crappy advice as I am only @ GCSE level.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 478
Good Luck to everyone sitting this exam!!

Hope they get what they want, for many of us our university offer relies on exams like this one. :smile:
Reply 479
Well I'm off now, good luck to everyone and I'll see you on the other side!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending