The Student Room Group

Post your unpopular opinions...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SusieShire
I agree, babies remind me of Gollum from The Lord of the Rings. I may feel differently when it is my own child but other people's babies aren't cute to me, plus they're always drooling, puking or pooping.

I do agree also... Although I'm not quite sure as to go as far as looking like golem... Suppose there's a few really ugly babies out there :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OU Student
At least 3 of my cousins looked like Gollum when they were born.

Why's that unpopular? it sounds wicked :biggrin:.
Original post by Pendulum3
Some rap music is massively under appericiated.

That's because it's not music...
Granted its difficult to speak fast but with many there isn't a story (exceptions for very few) and with even more there's no tone or structure... Therefore not making it a all decent 'music' (again except for very few)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SatsumaBenji
Granted its difficult to speak fast but with many there isn't a story (exceptions for very few) and with even more there's no tone or structure... Therefore not making it a all decent 'music' (again except for very few)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've listened to the charts version of rap it appears
Reply 684
The only way we can continue to evolve is if we stop helping those that aren't able to do things themselves so we can keep on passing the strong jeans that are more likely to live in an environment where we have to fend for ourselves

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't agree with this - I wouldn't be able to help you spell correctly :rolleyes: *genes
Reply 685
I think the working classes have no right to complain about middle class snobbery towards them.

If they couldn't be bothered to get a good education then that's their fault isn't it.

I knew a teacher at high school who was homeless as a child, but she still managed to make it. There's no excuse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sma0712
I think the working classes have no right to complain about middle class snobbery towards them.

If they couldn't be bothered to get a good education then that's their fault isn't it.

I knew a teacher at high school who was homeless as a child, but she still managed to make it. There's no excuse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And by this I'm assuming that you are middle class? Spoilt kid who doesn't know what it's like to be skint. Lol. It's not always about having a good education, and the fact that your parents are earning more than mine gives you no right to be snobby, there's a little thing called humility.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, I said some, your probably about Drake and Lil Wayne or something, I'm talking about Old Eminem, Immortal Technique, it's about the struggles people go through, I find rap very useful as I can relate in some songs
Reply 688
It should not be allowed to keep your child in nursery for 12 hours if you have a day off, they are your responsibility

People shouldn't look down on others simply for having an opinion, no matter how disgusting it seems, that is their belief

If you are stupid enough to sleep with someone who will post you to "rate my shag" then you shouldn't complain

I hate Daft Punk

I have no interest in watching game of thrones or the walking dead

Teenagers who refer to themselves by subculture ie scene kid should not be allowed the Internet

If you need a degree to get into PR you are not cut out for PR

Quidditch in universities is stupid

Abortion should be legal to all, euthanasia should be legal but involve a short yet strict process

If you cannot provide evidence you have applied for at least 20 jobs per month your jsa should be less

Ryan gosling is not attractive

Homophobia is not an opinion in the same way racism is not, however I have no problem with people who think discriminatively but don't act on it

Hitler didn't exist (some guy genuinely said this to me once but he was a multiple drop out who never managed to get permanent work)

I hate RnB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cornelius
Why's that unpopular? it sounds wicked :biggrin:.

I was replying to the person I quoted about what babies look like when they're born.

It should not be allowed to keep your child in nursery for 12 hours if you have a day off, they are your responsibility

I think people who leave their child in nursery for 12 hours a day (whether they're at work or not) is just cruel.:frown: Especially when it's a baby.
Original post by Pendulum3
Lol, I said some, your probably about Drake and Lil Wayne or something, I'm talking about Old Eminem, Immortal Technique, it's about the struggles people go through, I find rap very useful as I can relate in some songs

Immortal Technique:biggrin: there is a lot of incredible rap out there, you just need to look deeper
Reply 691
Original post by OU Student

I think people who leave their child in nursery for 12 hours a day (whether they're at work or not) is just cruel.:frown: Especially when it's a baby.

Yeah my uncle does it and it disgusts me, my cousin is the only kid there in the holidays, I feel so bad for him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tufto
I detest rap music.

I detest most modern rap music too.

I hate nightclubs. Social interaction is somewhat tedious.

Agreed.

Poetry is an infinitely better pursuit than any sporting event.

Agreed!

I am religious.

:rolleyes: (unless you mean it the way Einstein did)

I think winter is a better season than summer.

I hate winter :angry:

Death is something to be afraid of.

But falling asleep isn't?

Universities should not offer courses in management and business (though I have nothing against those courses in principal).

Mickey mouse degrees are stupid attempts to devalue education.

The arts are a more important pursuit than the sciences.

Science is an art. You're making a false dichotomy. All arts are what make us human and are to be cherished.

I prefer Moffat to RTD (except for the second half of Series 7, I don't know what he's doing at the moment).

Istanbul is the best city in the world.

You sure about that? The best in the entire world?

Art is only art where these is some form of skilled craft involved to support the idea behind a piece.

Agreed. Mucking about and calling it art is disgraceful.

The House of Lords should not be elected.

Gotta keep that democracy in check, huh.

There is nothing wrong with Islam.

I would sooner say there is nothing right with Islam.
Reply 693
Original post by felamaslen
I detest most modern rap music too.

Agreed.

Agreed!

Yay :smile:.

:rolleyes: (unless you mean it the way Einstein did)

Nope, the church-going theistic way :tongue: I'm very much a social liberal and not at all reactionary, don't see it as inherently opposed to the sciences (and support them), and don't simply "follow what it says in a book", a charge usually levelled against us.

I hate winter :angry:

I can't help it, I love it. Everything is prettier, walks are nicer and I don't have to wear such ridiculous clothes :tongue:.

But falling asleep isn't?

Sleep=/= a total lack of existence and any meaning.

Mickey mouse degrees are stupid attempts to devalue education.

Not opposed to such courses, as they are valid and useful, but in a separate institution than an academic university.

Science is an art. You're making a false dichotomy. All arts are what make us human and are to be cherished.

As a historian, studying a discipline caught between the two, I have to speak out at that. Science is not an art- it is the act of discovery, and is a precise and totally rational manner of study. The arts are largely a matter of creation of a concept transmitted through a craft of some form, and while not inherently irrational are certainly more an emotional response to life and thought.

:et me re-phrase what I meant. Science is important. It should be given as much attention as the arts, it should be fully endorsed. But I do think that the arts are more important in that they are universally needed, even if people don't know it. Even at the dawn of time, literature and music helped us get through the day, and to propose some form of meaning in the world.

:biggrin:

You sure about that? The best in the entire world?

Yes. To me, at least. Others have a different perspective.

Agreed. Mucking about and calling it art is disgraceful.

Aye.

Gotta keep that democracy in check, huh.

Yes, frankly. The Lords are one of the few checks we have on the power of the government. Once a party has a majority, it really doesn't have to many constraints (like in the American system), and needs a body to curb its excesses. To make it elected would subject it to the same petty factionalism as the commons.

I would sooner say there is nothing right with Islam.

I have known a moderate number of Muslims, and if there is something wrong with Islam, it certainly doesn't show in the general populace. Religion is a complex and nuanced organism, and making sweeping statements about how any religion (excluding things such as Scientology and the People's Temple, of course) is should be destroyed, imposed upon others, is universally good or universally bad, is outdated or is the only truth- all such statements are far, far too simplistic, and potentially dangerous to the free flow of thought..
Original post by Tufto
Nope, the church-going theistic way :tongue: I'm very much a social liberal and not at all reactionary, don't see it as inherently opposed to the sciences (and support them), and don't simply "follow what it says in a book", a charge usually levelled against us.

My charge against you is that you profess to believe in things on bad or insufficient evidence :wink:

I can't help it, I love it. Everything is prettier, walks are nicer and I don't have to wear such ridiculous clothes :tongue:.

I actually think spring is the nicest season normally, because it's not too cold but not too hot. Also, late autumn, for the same reason.

Sleep=/= a total lack of existence and any meaning.

But what scares you about not existing? You didn't exist for billions of years.

As a historian, studying a discipline caught between the two, I have to speak out at that. Science is not an art- it is the act of discovery, and is a precise and totally rational manner of study. The arts are largely a matter of creation of a concept transmitted through a craft of some form, and while not inherently irrational are certainly more an emotional response to life and thought.

:et me re-phrase what I meant. Science is important. It should be given as much attention as the arts, it should be fully endorsed. But I do think that the arts are more important in that they are universally needed, even if people don't know it. Even at the dawn of time, literature and music helped us get through the day, and to propose some form of meaning in the world.

The act of discovery on good evidence is an art. It may be a different sort of art from the one humanity was used to, but there is good science and bad science, science is supremely beautiful (as well as mathematics, which is also an art - hope you don't disagree with me there), and science does give us meaning, or at least, gives some of us meaning. Every day I wish to know more about what the world is, why it exists, what I am etc.; these are very poetic questions and yet science can answer them all (well, it can if anything can). Science isn't merely about robots and food technology; it's about a way of viewing the world as it really is, not as one would wish us to believe it is. I believe this is what Einstein meant when he said that "science without religion is lame". Contrary to popular legend, he didn't believe in a personal god, but used religiously loaded words as metaphors for what he found in science, the elegance and wonder beyond all the pragmatic benefits it gives us. Science can give us warm and fuzzy feelings at least as much as any film, music, novel etc., and for this reason it is very much an art. Precision and accuracy define its beauty; they don't detract from it.

Yes, frankly. The Lords are one of the few checks we have on the power of the government. Once a party has a majority, it really doesn't have to many constraints (like in the American system), and needs a body to curb its excesses. To make it elected would subject it to the same petty factionalism as the commons.

I reluctantly agree with you. I think if there hadn't been a House of Lords during the previous Labour government, some pretty awful things may have got through. ID cards, for instance.

I have known a moderate number of Muslims, and if there is something wrong with Islam, it certainly doesn't show in the general populace. Religion is a complex and nuanced organism, and making sweeping statements about how any religion (excluding things such as Scientology and the People's Temple, of course) is should be destroyed, imposed upon others, is universally good or universally bad, is outdated or is the only truth- all such statements are far, far too simplistic, and potentially dangerous to the free flow of thought..

Most people are good people, so it should hardly be surprising that most Muslims are good people, and there are brilliant people who happen to be Muslim. For most Muslims, Islam isn't a mental disease, but for the craziest ones, it is, and this is because anyone following Islam to the letter would have to be mentally ill. Unfortunately, Islam is worse in this regard than a lot of other religions. There may be some good in Islam, but it is drowned out by all the hate. You can scarcely say that just because most Muslims aren't engaged in armed jihad, therefore armed jihad isn't a real thing or Islam is perfectly fine - it isn't. It shows by the chronic lack of peace in the Muslim world. Statements such as "there is nothing wrong with Islam" are ignoring a huge problem that exists in this world, fundamentally because of Islam.
'Everyone is beautiful in their own way'. haha what a load of bull****!
Reply 696
Original post by felamaslen
My charge against you is that you profess to believe in things on bad or insufficient evidence :wink:

"Believe" does not mean "hold as an unprovable truth". Yes, the burden of proof is on us and yes, there is no hard evidence. But I just personally find it to be the most likely option. Others are free to have their own opinion :smile:.

I actually think spring is the nicest season normally, because it's not too cold but not too hot. Also, late autumn, for the same reason.

See, I always like the times/places with some drama in them. Windy hilltops on cloudy days, roaring storms on coasts, blizzards. So I like the winter, because I like it when it's windy and cold. Yes, I know that's weird, but I never claimed that I wasn't :tongue:.

But what scares you about not existing? You didn't exist for billions of years.

But I will have existed at some point. I will have been, however inferior a specimen, a human being with thoughts and self-awareness. I would no longer be anything. No perception of what I am or was because there is nothing to perceive, and from my non-existent perspective, that would be horrific. All of life being meaningless sound and fury. It is something we should fear.

I'm not religious because I fear death, btw; if anything it worsens that fear.

The act of discovery on good evidence is an art. It may be a different sort of art from the one humanity was used to, but there is good science and bad science, science is supremely beautiful (as well as mathematics, which is also an art - hope you don't disagree with me there), and science does give us meaning, or at least, gives some of us meaning. Every day I wish to know more about what the world is, why it exists, what I am etc.; these are very poetic questions and yet science can answer them all (well, it can if anything can). Science isn't merely about robots and food technology; it's about a way of viewing the world as it really is, not as one would wish us to believe it is. I believe this is what Einstein meant when he said that "science without religion is lame". Contrary to popular legend, he didn't believe in a personal god, but used religiously loaded words as metaphors for what he found in science, the elegance and wonder beyond all the pragmatic benefits it gives us. Science can give us warm and fuzzy feelings at least as much as any film, music, novel etc., and for this reason it is very much an art. Precision and accuracy define its beauty; they don't detract from it.

I find the music of the spheres and the poetry and spiritual claims of science somewhat irritating, actually. Sorry :tongue:. I like impurity, messiness, and pure conceptual creation more than discovery. The world we live in is beautiful. Its forms and all else is beautiful; but it's only a single type of beauty, and it's too much of a system. It's beautiful, but it is only one kind of beauty compared to the billions of types that the arts can create.

Science is important. It is useful, it is brilliant, it is beautiful, but its beauty is more finite. I admire it for other reasons; the way that a scientist can explore and discover concepts of immense complexity and precision. But there is no creation. It's needed, it deserves more funding, it is beautiful to a point; but the arts have a much more satisfying kind of beauty.

Of course, this might just be my subjective experience :tongue:.

I reluctantly agree with you. I think if there hadn't been a House of Lords during the previous Labour government, some pretty awful things may have got through. ID cards, for instance.

I'm very much a social liberal, so I'm certainly not against democratic institutions, I should point out :tongue:.

Most people are good people, so it should hardly be surprising that most Muslims are good people, and there are brilliant people who happen to be Muslim. For most Muslims, Islam isn't a mental disease, but for the craziest ones, it is, and this is because anyone following Islam to the letter would have to be mentally ill. Unfortunately, Islam is worse in this regard than a lot of other religions. There may be some good in Islam, but it is drowned out by all the hate. You can scarcely say that just because most Muslims aren't engaged in armed jihad, therefore armed jihad isn't a real thing or Islam is perfectly fine - it isn't. It shows by the chronic lack of peace in the Muslim world. Statements such as "there is nothing wrong with Islam" are ignoring a huge problem that exists in this world, fundamentally because of Islam.

It's been said (on a TV show, admittedly) that Islamic extremism is to mainstream Islam as the KKK is to Christianity. Look across history, and you will see that Islam is not inherently a violent religion. It has been far more tolerant than other religions, largely peaceful, and has a far better chivalric tradition than in the West. Islam has problems within it, but Islam itself is not the problem. You cannot, cannot discriminate indiscriminately against the religion as a whole, or try to look for signs that something is fundamentally flawed with it. Islamic extremism stems primarily from a bad, bad colonial policy and broken promises in the early 20th century. Liberalism was actually fairly popular among the populace of the Middle East until the mandates.

Islamic extremists can barely be called Muslims. They are brainwashed madmen of a movement based in a certain religious viewpoint but stemming from a large number of causes. I may as well tarnish all atheists for the actions of Stalin and Mao when they were motivated by antitheist fervour.
Original post by Tufto
"Believe" does not mean "hold as an unprovable truth". Yes, the burden of proof is on us and yes, there is no hard evidence. But I just personally find it to be the most likely option. Others are free to have their own opinion :smile:.

If you hold this outlook then you should be prepared to be treated like a nutter, because this same logic can be applied to anything. Little green men, say, or astrology. Although I am glad you have admitted that the burden of proof is on you, unlike most religious people :colone:

See, I always like the times/places with some drama in them. Windy hilltops on cloudy days, roaring storms on coasts, blizzards. So I like the winter, because I like it when it's windy and cold. Yes, I know that's weird, but I never claimed that I wasn't :tongue:.

I do see your point, but here in London the winter isn't like that :s-smilie:

But I will have existed at some point. I will have been, however inferior a specimen, a human being with thoughts and self-awareness. I would no longer be anything. No perception of what I am or was because there is nothing to perceive, and from my non-existent perspective, that would be horrific. All of life being meaningless sound and fury. It is something we should fear.

I'm not religious because I fear death, btw; if anything it worsens that fear.

I would go further and say that the only reason you have any fear of death is because you are religious, or at least that if you weren't religious then I can guarantee you wouldn't have a fear of death. A fear of death is totally irrational, given what we know (for all intents and purposes) about it. What is so significant about the transition from existence to non-existence in comparison to the transition from non-existence to existence, which you have already achieved by being born?

Or do you get scared too when thinking about the time before you existed?

I find the music of the spheres and the poetry and spiritual claims of science somewhat irritating, actually.

Then you haven't done enough science.

I like impurity, messiness, and pure conceptual creation more than discovery. The world we live in is beautiful. Its forms and all else is beautiful; but it's only a single type of beauty, and it's too much of a system. It's beautiful, but it is only one kind of beauty compared to the billions of types that the arts can create.

You clearly haven't done enough science if you think any of that :rolleyes:

The beauty of science is not constrained by any human limitations; the universe and its mysteries are staggeringly cool beyond all human measure. And unaided, we can only detect a stupefyingly small section of it (consider the electromagnetic spectrum, and the tiny proportion of it that we can detect with our eyes, as a sort of symbol for what I'm getting at).

I'm very much a social liberal, so I'm certainly not against democratic institutions, I should point out :tongue:.

I don't know what social liberal means any more, so I decline to use it, but I am pro-democracy and pro-freedom (within reason).

It's been said (on a TV show, admittedly) that Islamic extremism is to mainstream Islam as the KKK is to Christianity. Look across history, and you will see that Islam is not inherently a violent religion. It has been far more tolerant than other religions, largely peaceful, and has a far better chivalric tradition than in the West. Islam has problems within it, but Islam itself is not the problem. You cannot, cannot discriminate indiscriminately against the religion as a whole, or try to look for signs that something is fundamentally flawed with it. Islamic extremism stems primarily from a bad, bad colonial policy and broken promises in the early 20th century. Liberalism was actually fairly popular among the populace of the Middle East until the mandates.

Cool theory bro :confused:

If you think oppression is the primary factor in armed jihad, you have to deal with the fact that this is a phenomenon which is a) almost exclusive to Islamic fanatics, b) justified by quotations from the Qu'ran and c) present among highly educated, non-oppressed Muslim fanatics, e.g. in Britain. You also have to explain why we don't see this sort of behaviour amongst other groups in the same regions within the Islamic world. When was the last time you heard reports of a Christian suicide bomber in the middle east? It's almost a daily occurrence by Muslim fanatics, but other religions simply don't have these fanatics, or if they do, they are a smaller minority or they are twisting the faith to a much greater degree (in most cases, that is - I won't pretend that Islam is the only dangerous faith, far from it). Pretending Islamic extremism doesn't exist, or has nothing to do with Islam, or is not especially prevalent amongst Muslims as opposed to, say, Jains or Buddhists, or reformed Jews, or even Catholics, is a very dangerous delusion, not least for Muslim moderates. Before we can even have a debate on this issue, we must all acknowledge that there is a problem with Islam, and it cannot be blamed on colonialism or any other factor but Islam itself - or else we would see this sort of behaviour amongst other colonised peoples (the Buddhists of Tibet, for example, under Chinese occupation - that's another one to get your head around).

Islamic extremists can barely be called Muslims. They are brainwashed madmen of a movement based in a certain religious viewpoint but stemming from a large number of causes. I may as well tarnish all atheists for the actions of Stalin and Mao when they were motivated by antitheist fervour.

When somebody shouts "God is great" in Arabic, quotes the Qu'ran, and explains everything they stand for in terms of Islam, then I think it's safe to say that they are a Muslim. You are committing the no true Scotsman fallacy, of course. While most Muslims are peaceful people, this does not mean that the fanatical Muslims are not following the same holy book, reading the same passages, etc. Also, don't give me any crap about "wrong interpretations". Who is to say which is the right interpretation?

I don't quite follow the statement about atheists. Atheism isn't a dogma or religion of any sort. There is no creed of atheism. It isn't even a philosophy. An atheist is simply one who rejects the existence of a supreme being. So unlike with Islam, where you can point to the specific verses which were used as justification for armed jihad, with atheism there is no book to quote, there is no moral philosophy associated with atheism, there is simply no way you can associate all atheists with the actions of any one person who happens to be atheist, because atheism isn't a belief, but the rejection of a belief.
Reply 698
2 of mine:

There isn't a single thing a woman can do that a man can't do better

Humans are not equal
Original post by Sai4
2 of mine:

There isn't a single thing a woman can do that a man can't do better

Humans are not equal

Give birth?

Quick Reply

Latest