The Student Room Group

What're the chances of being available to study history through clearing? (2013)

I've chosen Newcastle as my firm and Leeds as my insurance and when I applied I was looking very optimistically at AAA grades but since then things have gone downhill and my resits were an absolute disaster so my grades now stand more likely to be around BBC/BCC

Neither Newcastle or Leeds are likely to take me on with those results and I haven't seen history being mentioned in any of the clearing forums - any advice/help here??

Also, I need to stay as close to Newcastle as possible since my family have ill health and being able to see them at short notice is a big deal.

Not sure what to do here and don't want to end up in a panic in August and just giving up.
Reply 1
Original post by enya227
I've chosen Newcastle as my firm and Leeds as my insurance and when I applied I was looking very optimistically at AAA grades but since then things have gone downhill and my resits were an absolute disaster so my grades now stand more likely to be around BBC/BCC

Neither Newcastle or Leeds are likely to take me on with those results and I haven't seen history being mentioned in any of the clearing forums - any advice/help here??

Also, I need to stay as close to Newcastle as possible since my family have ill health and being able to see them at short notice is a big deal.

Not sure what to do here and don't want to end up in a panic in August and just giving up.

There will almost certainly be some places in clearing for History, however don't be afraid to retake your A-Levels if you have underpeformed and reapply to Leeds or Newcastle rather than rushing into going somewhere through clearing.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
There will almost certainly be some places in clearing for History, however don't be afraid to retake your A-Levels if you have underpeformed and reapply to Leeds or Newcastle rather than rushing into going somewhere through clearing.

Most of my local colleges won't allow you to retake A levels if you're under the age of 19 so I didn't know this was a possible route!
I agree that you shouldn't panic and that it might well be better for you to resit your A-levels. However, last year the following universities were in Clearing (there were many others, but these are the ones I noted down) though the entry levels were all above BBC:

Essex, Leicester, Brunel, Goldsmiths, Queen Mary, Newcastle, Lancaster, Liverpool, Kent, Royal Holloway, Southampton, Sussex, Birmingham, Keele, Hull, Leeds and Sheffield.
Original post by ageshallnot
I agree that you shouldn't panic and that it might well be better for you to resit your A-levels. However, last year the following universities were in Clearing (there were many others, but these are the ones I noted down) though the entry levels were all above BBC:

Essex, Leicester, Brunel, Goldsmiths, Queen Mary, Newcastle, Lancaster, Liverpool, Kent, Royal Holloway, Southampton, Sussex, Birmingham, Keele, Hull, Leeds and Sheffield.

do u know for which courses
Original post by ninah1995162
do u know for which courses

These were all for History.
Original post by enya227
Most of my local colleges won't allow you to retake A levels if you're under the age of 19 so I didn't know this was a possible route!

You can just resit modules and your school should be able to enter you for them. Otherwise sit as an independent candidate.

My nephew missed his grades last year for history and was going to go into clearing so I remember seeing the lists. Virtually every single uni was offering history apart from the obvious candidates such as Oxbridge. He missed his grades by quite a lot tho so he is retaking for entry this year. Don't lose hope.

Also my niece missed her grades for York by quite a lot and still got in - it was her first choice ( was history of Art though)
You dont have to go to Uni straight after leaving school.

Think about why you wanted to go to these 'good' Unis to do History. You dont need to compromise - if you miss your grades, first check that neither your Firm or Insurance will still take you, then talk to your school about retaking as a private candidate in the coming year and reapplying.

Don't let go of your dreams.
Reply 8
I have the same problem. I was predicted A*AC but it's unlikely that I will get these grades. I was wondering if I go through clearing for City Uni (enrty requirments are AAA) what are the chances they will accept me?
Reply 9
Original post by natasha007a
I have the same problem. I was predicted A*AC but it's unlikely that I will get these grades. I was wondering if I go through clearing for City Uni (enrty requirments are AAA) what are the chances they will accept me?

Firstly no guarantees City will have places in clearing and if they do it entirely depends on how flexible they are- some universities will lower grades in clearing and some won't budge on the original offer.
City? Why are you even looking at it?
Original post by returnmigrant

Because it's closer to home and that's where I'd like to be... And that is exactly why I'm here asking this. I need advice, not sacrcastic responses...
Original post by jelly1000
Firstly no guarantees City will have places in clearing and if they do it entirely depends on how flexible they are- some universities will lower grades in clearing and some won't budge on the original offer.

Okay thanks. So it's a 50/50 chance?
Okay thanks. So it's a 50/50 chance?

pretty much yeah.

For what subject? (This thread started out as History clearing...)
Original post by ageshallnot
For what subject? (This thread started out as History clearing...)

Sorry, I didn't mention it. But it's for law
Original post by returnmigrant

City University doesnt offer History.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending