The Student Room Group

AQA Economics Unit 4 11th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by stefanocattaneo
I think what it was going for the benefits of staying a member of the EU, not benefits of joining the Euro. You could use Eurozone instability as a negative factor, but not really the centrè of the essay I don't think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

to be honest, im not entirely sure what they wanted.....
i thought the essay was on the benefits/costs of single markets and i thought within that you could include the costs/benefits of a single currency
ahhh im so confused :frown:
What did you write for the first bit of the essay (15 marker)
Reply 641
Original post by xxLozzxx
Yeah but my concepts were all irrelevant in that case...
+ I think the grade boundaries are dependant on the whole paper.
It was just worded more stupidly than I have ever seen. Of an EU country, such as the UK joining the single market.
To me that implied they weren't already members hence I changed my opinion of what I thought a single market was from customs to monetary union.
I probably got like a U in that case. It's annoying because if they had made the question clear I could have easily answered it.
I will get about 5/25 because I have spoken about FDI and trade, but that is all because everything else is irrelevant. Oh FML.

Even if it is incorrect economics, it was probably a common misconception and if you made your argument clear and concise and your economics was relevant to your interpretation of the question it doesn't mean you automatically got a U. You should be fine, though expect some loss of marks, just not to a massive extent.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 642
Original post by Axion
Context 1 was not on unemployment?

Um, yes, the 10 marks was on unemployment, and the 25 mark was on whether the EU is the best hope for the UK considering the lack of growth- I know what question I did! :smile:
Reply 643
Original post by jonses
If you mean the thing about features of a single market.. I didn't have much of a clue (just saw part b and though it'd be a really good question.. how wrong was I!). I basically said that other than a single currency, single markets had similar features to a trade bloc and spoke about free movement of labour/free trade and also the rules to join the Eurozone like the convergence/Maastricht criteria.

Not. A. Clue. :frown:

That sounds right, i think i wrote about that too
but also about how they have common external tariffs and sometimes common policies like the CAP
ow man, i felt ok coming out of that exam...now i dont feel so great...ah well, at least it's over
I hope you get the grade you need!
Reply 644
Original post by kelbel1
Um, yes, the 10 marks was on unemployment, and the 25 mark was on whether the EU is the best hope for the UK considering the lack of growth- I know what question I did! :smile:

I think that was Context 2, I did context 1 and it was on standard of living and economic importance MENA countries! :smile:
Reply 645
Original post by lrud2013
That sounds right, i think i wrote about that too
but also about how they have common external tariffs and sometimes common policies like the CAP
ow man, i felt ok coming out of that exam...now i dont feel so great...ah well, at least it's over
I hope you get the grade you need!

Ahhhh I feel the exact same way. Don't worry, hope you get yours too!
Original post by lrud2013
to be honest, im not entirely sure what they wanted.....
i thought the essay was on the benefits/costs of single markets and i thought within that you could include the costs/benefits of a single currency
ahhh im so confused :frown:
What did you write for the first bit of the essay (15 marker)

I defined it as free trade and free movement of peoples then split it down into those two. As in free trade and its consequences and free movement of labour and its consequences :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 647
Original post by jonses
I think that was Context 2, I did context 1 and it was on standard of living and economic importance MENA countries! :smile:

Ah yes, sorry about that, I mean Context 2! :smile: and Essay 1 haha! Exam has messed me up hehehe :wink:
Reply 648
Original post by Aranel
Even if it is incorrect economics, it was probably a common misconception and if you made your argument clear and concise and your economics was relevant to your interpretation of the question it doesn't mean you automatically got a U. You should be fine, though expect some loss of marks, just not to a massive extent.

Well I would have said it would had been a pretty good essay, had it been about the right concept! What marks do you think I could get then? Obviously no level 5? But would a level 3/4 be posssible? Or am i constrained to 1/2?
Reply 649
Anyone did context 2 and/or the deficit question?
Reply 650
Hi all,

Did context 2 (I find the EU context easier 9times out of 10)
My figure for the calculation was 75bn

In terms of the essays i did essay 2
it was between essay 1 & 2. 3 was out of the question
Did anyone else do essay 2 if so how did u answer it?
Reply 651
Well I would have said it would had been a pretty good essay, had it been about the right concept! What marks do you think I could get then? Obviously no level 5? But would a level 3/4 be posssible? Or am i constrained to 1/2?

I think I might email my economics teacher and see what she thinks.. Hopefully AQA will realise that most people didn't have a clue and be a bit nicer about it!
Is context one the one in which the essay question is causing confusion or context two?
Reply 653
Original post by Skilled
Anyone did context 2 and/or the deficit question?

If by deficit you mean in Balance of Trade in Goods then yes
Original post by jonses
I think I might email my economics teacher and see what she thinks.. Hopefully AQA will realise that most people didn't have a clue and be a bit nicer about it!

Unfortunately I think AQA will cite the specification...

"Candidates should be able to discuss the main features of customs unions and understand the significance of the EU as a customs union. The EU as a customs union should be considered in relation to the Single European Market (SEM)."

:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 655
I'm just so annoyed and disappointed with myself!
Reply 656
Original post by jonses

Can you tell me what she says! The wording was just awful, why specify the UK 'or another Eurozone country'

Don't worry young one... You have potential and will probably thrive as a supermarket assistant

I don't think you should be :smile: as long as you argued a series of points the examiner will realise what you interpreted the question to be. It will affect your mark but not horrifically so I wouldn't lose too much sleep about it :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 659
Original post by kelbel1

technically that was context 2, not context 1 :smile: :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending