The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3240
Original post by ubi1
"there is the possibility of Murray having to face Nadal in the quarter-finals, seven-time champion Roger Federer in the semi-finals and world No 1 Novak Djokovic in the final if he wants to become Britain’s first male singles champion at SW19 since Fred Perry in 1936."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2338833/Andy-Murray-face-Rafael-Nadal-Roger-Federer-Novak-Djokovic-Wimbledon.html#ixzz2VqFdpCcG
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

DM up to their usual BS. They are writing as if the draw has already been made. Who knows Murray might be the lucky one who avoids Rafa and draws Ferrer? But then again, even if this is the draw, then Murray has a good chance to win the whole thing if he somehow beats Nadal in the QFs. Federer (unless God mode is on) and Nole should be no problem for him on grass.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3241
Original post by Roger1
DM up to their usual BS. They are writing as if the draw has already been made. Who knows Murray might be the lucky one who avoids Rafa and draws Ferrer? But then again, even if this is the draw, then Murray has a good chance to win the whole thing if he somehow beats Nadal in the QFs. Federer (unless God mode is on) and Nole should be no problem for him on grass.

When was the last time someone won a Grand slam beating 3 of the top 5.
Original post by ubi1
When was the last time someone won a Grand slam beating 3 of the top 5.

Like, never.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nadal won't win Wimbledon.

He's taking a rest after all his recent and successful, clay court exertions. He will have had no preparation for Wimbledon, no real grass court match play prior to Wimbledon starting. He'll probably win 3-5 rounds and then get found out for his last gasp grass preparation...all depends on his knee/s too, and how his body is feeling after the French Open.

I think Djokovic will win Wimbledon.
Serena Williams will win Wimbledon.

Shame to see James Ward bottle in against Ivan Dodig yesterday at Queens. I guess that's why he's at the challengers level and has never really progressed beyond that. Too much playing safe, too much risk aversion, at times when he needed to attack and be positive.
As for the Tsonga vs Ferrer semi-final at French Open.

A big part of me thinks Tsonga bottled that one, obviously Ferrer's consistency was too much to take for Tsonga but I just wonder whether Tsonga was too scared about the prospect of having to play against Nadal in the final, should he prevail in the semi vs Ferrer. He beat himself in that semi vs final and IMO, he didn't relish the prospect of having his pants pulled down by Nadal in the final. At least Ferrer gave it a go, fair play to Ferrer, I thought he played pretty well, tbh.

Tsonga needs to redeem himself at Wimbledon. He let himself down in that semi, and given his big serve and groundstrokes, he should be a big threat at Wimbledon, unless he bottles it again and doesn't back his own ability enough. Shame about his questionable temperament really.
Reply 3245
When is Federer playing his 1st singles match at Halle? :tongue:
Reply 3246
http://www.oddschecker.com/tennis/wimbledon/mens/mens-wimbledon/winner

Surprised that they have Nole ahead of Rafa, Roger and Andy as the favourite. Novak is the worst out of the top 4 on grass and is the most likely alongside Federer (for obvious reasons) to suffer an upset. Worst prediction ever!
Original post by Roger1
http://www.oddschecker.com/tennis/wimbledon/mens/mens-wimbledon/winner

Surprised that they have Nole ahead of Rafa, Roger and Andy as the favourite. Novak is the worst out of the top 4 on grass and is the most likely alongside Federer (for obvious reasons) to suffer an upset. Worst prediction ever!

Yet Nole has won Wimbledon and Murray hasn't :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3248
Original post by Tennisisthesport
Yet Nole has won Wimbledon and Murray hasn't :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, but the only season Novak was better than Murray on grass was 2011, the year which he won it. Other than that, Murray has been more consistent in the last 5 years at Wimby and his game suits on grass more than Novak's. Have you seen Novak's movement on grass?

The only reason Novak won Wimby in 2011 was because of Tsonga and his mentally fragile opponent in the final. If Fed had defeated Jo, he would have beaten Nole in the semis like last year. Plus, Nole was also facing an opponent in the final, who was low in confidence after suffering 4 previous heartbreaking defeats including 2 on his beloved clay at the hands of him, so it was obvious from the get-go that Nadal was gonna lose.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Roger1
Yeah, but the only season Novak was better than Murray on grass was 2011, the year which he won it. Other than that, Murray has been more consistent in the last 5 years at Wimby and his game suits on grass more than Novak's. Have you seen Novak's movement on grass?

The only reason Novak won Wimby in 2011 was because of Tsonga and his mentally fragile opponent in the final. If Fed had defeated Jo, he would have beaten Nole in the semis like last year. Plus, Nole was also facing an opponent in the final, who was low in confidence after suffering 4 previous heartbreaking defeats including 2 on his beloved clay at the hands of him, so it was obvious from the get-go that Nadal was gonna lose.

Yes I hav seen his movement on grass I've watched him at Wimbledon - and no he did not win just because of that, his play was amazing in 2011, yes his favourite surface is hard court but he is not bad on grass :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by white_haired_wizard
As for the Tsonga vs Ferrer semi-final at French Open.

A big part of me thinks Tsonga bottled that one, obviously Ferrer's consistency was too much to take for Tsonga but I just wonder whether Tsonga was too scared about the prospect of having to play against Nadal in the final, should he prevail in the semi vs Ferrer. He beat himself in that semi vs final and IMO, he didn't relish the prospect of having his pants pulled down by Nadal in the final. At least Ferrer gave it a go, fair play to Ferrer, I thought he played pretty well, tbh.

Tsonga needs to redeem himself at Wimbledon. He let himself down in that semi, and given his big serve and groundstrokes, he should be a big threat at Wimbledon, unless he bottles it again and doesn't back his own ability enough. Shame about his questionable temperament really.

I do not consider Tsonga to be a strong GS contender. He has shown on multiple occasions that he is capable of some brilliant single-match performances (e.g. AO 2008, WO 2011, RG 2013), but is usually not able to follow it up in the subsequent match. When he is able to string these type of performances together in consecutive matches, then I may be able to consider him differently.

I'm still not convinced that his relationship with Rasheed is actually working. He has been a non-entity outside the majors this year, and has still not proven that he is capable of consistently strong performances against the top 5 at the majors. I really was surprised to hear some people waxing lyrical about Rasheed and Tsonga after he defeated Federer at RG; for me, that performance proved nothing.
Reply 3251
Yes I hav seen his movement on grass I've watched him at Wimbledon - and no he did not win just because of that, his play was amazing in 2011, yes his favourite surface is hard court but he is not bad on grass :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, his play was amazing in the final but Nadal was obviously low on confidence for the reasons I've stated in my previous posts.

And do you honestly think he would have beaten Fed after losing to him at the French? The grass GOAT would have straight setted him. :tongue:
Original post by Roger1
Yes, his play was amazing in the final but Nadal was obviously low on confidence for the reasons I've stated in my previous posts.

And do you honestly think he would have beaten Fed after losing to him at the French? The grass GOAT would have straight setted him. :tongue:

I honestly think he would have beaten federer - it was his year and clay wasn't his strength and tbh his 43 match winning streak had to end coz he was getting tired :/ and if federer was so good and was going to beat Djokovic in the final then why did he lose in the 1/4s to tsonga? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I honestly think he would have beaten federer - it was his year and clay wasn't his strength and tbh his 43 match winning streak had to end coz he was getting tired :/ and if federer was so good and was going to beat Djokovic in the final then why did he lose in the 1/4s to tsonga? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fed was 2 sets up, he lost because Tsonga slowed the game and then played some of his best tennis. Fed is much more successful against Djokovic (he had MP in at both the 2011 and 2010 US Open) because both of them prefer to play a quick brand of tennis. Fed hates people who drag it out.
Original post by Rakas21
Fed was 2 sets up, he lost because Tsonga slowed the game and then played some of his best tennis. Fed is much more successful against Djokovic (he had MP in at both the 2011 and 2010 US Open) because both of them prefer to play a quick brand of tennis. Fed hates people who drag it out.

Surely that is part of the game - doing something different to try to win the match? Yes he had match points in 2011 but didn't close it out - I can see where ur coming from but I still think that federer wouldn't hav won against Djokovic in straights at Wimbledon in 2011
Reply 3255

Posted from TSR Mobile

Federer played a great match against Tsonga, but unfortunately ran into him when he was playing like a God. Had Federer played the same way that he did against Tsonga or last year against Novak in the semis, Fed would have beaten him. Fed beat Novak on his worst surface, then had match against him on Novak's best surface. It's obvious that Fed was gonna beat him on his best and Nole's worst surface. :tongue:
Original post by Roger1
Federer played a great match against Tsonga, but unfortunately ran into him when he was playing like a God. Had Federer played the same way that he did against Tsonga or last year against Novak in the semis, Fed would have beaten him. Fed beat Novak on his worst surface, then had match against him on Novak's best surface. It's obvious that Fed was gonna beat him on his best and Nole's worst surface. :tongue:

I wouldn't go as far as 'obvious' coz it depends entirely on the day and the circumstances :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely that is part of the game - doing something different to try to win the match? Yes he had match points in 2011 but didn't close it out - I can see where ur coming from but I still think that federer wouldn't hav won against Djokovic in straights at Wimbledon in 2011

Well yes, the best way to beat him is simply to take him past 3 hours and watch the collapse due to fatigue (in the past he was obviously fit enough but not now).

He'd have won, probably not in straight sets though.
Original post by Rakas21
Well yes, the best way to beat him is simply to take him past 3 hours and watch the collapse due to fatigue (in the past he was obviously fit enough but not now).

He'd have won, probably not in straight sets though.

He may have won in 2011, and as u said probably not straight sets - how do u think they would fair if they played now at Wimbledon?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3259
Original post by Ashnard
I do not consider Tsonga to be a strong GS contender. He has shown on multiple occasions that he is capable of some brilliant single-match performances (e.g. AO 2008, WO 2011, RG 2013), but is usually not able to follow it up in the subsequent match. When he is able to string these type of performances together in consecutive matches, then I may be able to consider him differently.

I'm still not convinced that his relationship with Rasheed is actually working. He has been a non-entity outside the majors this year, and has still not proven that he is capable of consistently strong performances against the top 5 at the majors. I really was surprised to hear some people waxing lyrical about Rasheed and Tsonga after he defeated Federer at RG; for me, that performance proved nothing.

Tsonga has always been a hit and a miss, however this season he had some shocking early exits, which obviously shouldn't be a characteristic of a top 10 player. However, Rasheed has obviously had more positive impact on Tsonga's game than Annacone had on Roger's game. Fed should totally starting seeking a new coach if he wants to revive his career. :tongue:

Latest