The Student Room Group

AQA Philosophy A2 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gillymander95
Hmmm, quite risky to only revise Normative Ethics. Purely because, "Moral Truth" and "Denial of Moral Truth" are two distinct parts of the syllabus, so it is possible that "Moral Decisions" (Normative Ethics) doesn't come up at all...I mean, so far, that hasn't happened, but you'd technically have no grounds for complaint if it did.

You should be fine though...

I have a feeling that "Weakness of the Will" might come up for Moral Truth/Denial of Moral Truth, or perhaps something to do with "Reasons for Action". Hopefully something will come up on "Transcendent Moral Truth" or "Moral Truth Based On Natural Fact"

For normative, I have a strong feeling about Utilitarianism since Virtue Theory came up last year...

Anyway, I wrote a really lengthy essay that goes over all the Normative Theories you need to know including advantages and criticisms. It got 48/50. You wouldn't be able to write all this in the actual exam since we only get an hour for Moral Philosophy, but nonetheless, you should follow this kind of structure if you're aiming for an A.

Anyway, hope this helps and best of luck to you in getting your B!

It would be quite a risk but it's something I've probably got to go on now seeing as we're two days away from the exam and last time I read about it was last year! Fingers crossed.

Yeah I was thinking that too but either way you relate all three together to weigh it all up anyway so knowing it all would be best- esp if I've only revised norm haha.

Thank you for the essay :smile:
Original post by CrazyGal95
Anyone have any predictions of whats gonna come up for political philosophy and philosophy of religion?

For political I'm revising Liberty, Rights and Justice in detail :smile:
Leaving out human nature and nation states which came up last year but it would be extremely cruel for the two topics to come up together again!
Original post by ann2013
I suppose - thank you for the reassurance :smile: What do you mean by sentimentalism and the "State of Nature" in terms of abortion though?

Also, do you have any advice on how to structure answers? I'm never quite sure...

Thank you for all the help! :smile:

By Sentimentalism, I mean David Hume's version of Ethical Naturalism which basically stated that all our moral actions should be motivated by benevolence - sympathy and empathy. For example, we should not cause physical harm to others, because sympathy and empathy, for an array of reasons, guide us into not doing so. This theory is strikingly similar to Joseph Fletcher's "Situation Ethics" where morality is guided by the most loving thing to do.

You could apply this to abortion in the following way:

1. Hume may condemn abortion under Sentimentalism as abortion is murder, and murder is not a product of sympathy or empathy, thus is immoral.

2. Hume may condone abortion as the most loving thing to do - if a fetus will one day be born and develop into a child that has terminal health problems, or will suffer grave economical oppression due to his family's living standards, then aborting the child, out of sympathy and empathy, is the most loving thing to do.

State of Nature is way too hard to apply to abortion, I think - I'm sat here right now thinking how to explain it, but I don't think it's possible, mostly because the state of nature is hypothetical and abortion is real... so just don't bother with it - forget I said it :tongue:

Structure for essays

Introduction
- Outline the key terms of the question (For example, if a key term is "duty", explain what duty is)
- Develop the key terms of the question by relating it to a a theory/philosophical position. (For example, duty relates to deontology, particularly Kant's deontology, so briefly discuss this)
- State whether you are arguing in favour or against the question. (Lets say hypothetically that you are in favour of deontology)

Main Body
ARGUMENT ONE: State Kant's Categorical Imperative and the advantages of it. Link it back to the essay question.
COUNTER ARGUMENT: State what is wrong with Kant's Categorical Imperative and how another theory may overcome these issues (For example, utilitarianism). Link it back to the essay question.
RETORT: State what is wrong with Utilitarianism, and why is cannot be maintained. Link it back to the essay question.
ARGUMENT TWO: Bring in another deontological argument which defeats the criticisms of Utilitarianism. Link it back to the essay question.

Conclusion
(I'm awful at conclusions, I just write whatever I can think off, making sure I link it back to the essay question)

I hope this helps to some extent. I know it doesn't seem like you would have written much following this structure, but remember 3 things:

You only have an hour and cannot write everything.

"Quality, not quantity" If you go into depth with your points with clear examples and reasons for accepting/rejecting the position, you be able to easily pick up marks.

The question (in this case) is asking you to focus on duty and deontology, not every normative ethics position. utilitarianism is only used as a counter-argument to show that you have an understanding of the implications of deontology, even though you support it.

Original post by Lingo-Flamingo
What would you write for an essay about distributive justice? I'm thinking Rawls, Marx, and Nozick?

Yeah I would write about those three, could also mention Locke and Mill as well
(edited 10 years ago)
What would you write for an essay about distributive justice? I'm thinking Rawls, Marx, and Nozick?

Yeah, they're the main three that are worth banging in there. I'd also say Herbert Spencer (Social Justice & Functions of the State) and may a little bit of Edmund Burke (workings of nature) for "Desert" and Ronald Dworkin (Eqaulity of resources) for "Egalitarianism"

My knowledge is really cloudy on Rawls though. It something I understand, just can't remember o.O
Original post by jool
I'd probably primarily be discussing Hume's fact-value gap and morality as being relational/internal, maybe showing how Hume's gap dismisses theories such as naturalism along the way.

Thanks for the help guys :smile:

sorry for all the questions but having to fit all my revision in now because I've had so many exams...

can someone in a simple way just explain the difference between teleological and deontological theories?
For anyone doing "Moral Philosophy", I'm scared that for some reason, the exam might be a little cruel this year and not so clear cut - just one of my instincts. Is anyone/everyone prepared for questions on the following?

1. Weakness of the Will (MORAL TRUTH)
2. Transcendent Moral Truth (MORAL TRUTH)
3. Tolerance and it's limis (DENIAL OF MORAL TRUTH)
4. Moral motivation (This comes under moral truth, but you'd have to discuss Normative theories realistically. Moral truth is quite weak at establishing moral motivation - Plato's Forms etc)
5. Deontology and Practical Ethics (MORAL DECISIONS)
Hey! What are you having problems with? :smile:

Mainly religious experience & miracles as an example of that! I just find it really hard to apply. I did the past question 'assess the probability of miracles' and I found it really difficult to come up with some strong arguments.

I am pretty okay on cosmological argument and religious language though. It's just the religious experience stuff I find really difficult...

Original post by CrazyGal95
I know how you feel, to me theirs definitely topics I find easier to understand than others..the problem is which one's will come up, hopefully the one's i'm confident about! although I never seem to have luck on my side in philosophy exams..

I'm crossing my fingers for a religious language question... *crosses fingers*! Also, me neither... I really would like to be able to get at least 121 UMS in this exam so I can get a C overall!
Reply 148
121?? Thats a lot! What you on at As?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 149
Also don't think language will come up!! My bets are religious experience and can science explain away religion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay I was 100% content until I read this thread.

I'm doing moral philosophy and have only learnt the normative ethics part. Surely they couldn't ask 2 questions on moral truth?!
Hmmm, quite risky to only revise Normative Ethics. Purely because, "Moral Truth" and "Denial of Moral Truth" are two distinct parts of the syllabus, so it is possible that "Moral Decisions" (Normative Ethics) doesn't come up at all...I mean, so far, that hasn't happened, but you'd technically have no grounds for complaint if it did.

You should be fine though...

I have a feeling that "Weakness of the Will" might come up for Moral Truth/Denial of Moral Truth, or perhaps something to do with "Reasons for Action". Hopefully something will come up on "Transcendent Moral Truth" or "Moral Truth Based On Natural Fact"

For normative, I have a strong feeling about Utilitarianism since Virtue Theory came up last year...

Anyway, I wrote a really lengthy essay that goes over all the Normative Theories you need to know including advantages and criticisms. It got 48/50. You wouldn't be able to write all this in the actual exam since we only get an hour for Moral Philosophy, but nonetheless, you should follow this kind of structure if you're aiming for an A.

Anyway, hope this helps and best of luck to you in getting your B!

Hey been trying for ages but the essay won't open up!! Any other way you can send it through?

Thank you
Original post by aaf
121?? Thats a lot! What you on at As?

Posted from TSR Mobile

119 one off a C. :smile:

Original post by aaf
Also don't think language will come up!! My bets are religious experience and can science explain away religion

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really hope it does... going over cosmological right now and then experience. :P
Reply 153
For anyone doing "Moral Philosophy", I'm scared that for some reason, the exam might be a little cruel this year and not so clear cut - just one of my instincts. Is anyone/everyone prepared for questions on the following?

1. Weakness of the Will (MORAL TRUTH)
2. Transcendent Moral Truth (MORAL TRUTH)
3. Tolerance and it's limis (DENIAL OF MORAL TRUTH)
4. Moral motivation (This comes under moral truth, but you'd have to discuss Normative theories realistically. Moral truth is quite weak at establishing moral motivation - Plato's Forms etc)
5. Deontology and Practical Ethics (MORAL DECISIONS)

Thank you for the advice you gave above!:smile:

From looking at past papers, I think the first question is going to focus on cognitivism...transcendentalism, naturalism or relativism are likely. For the second question, I'm really hoping for deontology with practical ethics.

I think I'll go for the second question (providing there is a normative option) unless naturalism or relativism come up. Only thing though, if I'm trying to dismiss the fact-value gap as a serious issue for naturalism, I can't quite understand how I could argue that moral properties supervene on natural facts..? Also, does anyone understand the criticism of Moore's open question argument in the Michael Lacewing textbook that's about water being H2O or something?

I doubt number 3 would come up and hopefully moral motivation is too narrow to be a whole question. Although number 3 would be ok if the question asked you to explicitly discuss it in relation to relativism.

:smile:
Original post by millie-rose
Thanks for the help guys :smile:

sorry for all the questions but having to fit all my revision in now because I've had so many exams...

can someone in a simple way just explain the difference between teleological and deontological theories?

Deontological: We have a duty to be moral. This means we should act morally for the sake of morality itself. For instance, Kant's Categorical Imperative argues this.

Teleological: Morality is the means to a supreme end goal. We do not necessarily have a duty to be moral, but if we are to act morally, there will be great benefits as a reward. For instance, Aristotle's Virtue Theory argues that the supreme end goal of human life is Eudiamonia (happiness, or flourishing). This end goal is desirable in itself and we can achieve it through acting morally (or at least, having a moral character which leads to moral behavior)
Reply 155
I think, and this is just my opinion (so don't hold me to this) that the questions for Moral and Religious Philosophy will be:

Moral Philosophy:
- Possibly a question on the Moral Relativism and then lead into nihalism
- Either a question about the ration philosophy (Kant + Aquinas),
- Or maybe a general question, like "assess the claim that moral values can be derived from fact" (realist vs. non-realist)

Philosophy of Religion:
- Something on the topic of cosmology (origin of the universe, Kalam, Swinburne etc.)
- A question on Part IV, the making sense of Religion (Probably about the relevance in Modern day society?)
Oh yeah, Burke's another key one that I forgot to mention! Herbert Spencer is along the same lines as Nozick, isn't he? There's a couple of sentences about him in our course booklets, but I don't think we've really studied him in class!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cmargerison
Mainly religious experience & miracles as an example of that! I just find it really hard to apply. I did the past question 'assess the probability of miracles' and I found it really difficult to come up with some strong arguments.

I am pretty okay on cosmological argument and religious language though. It's just the religious experience stuff I find really difficult...

I could PM you the essay that I wrote about miracles if you want? :smile: It's not comprehensive, and I didn't get full marks for it or anything, but it might be helpful just to see the structure?
Would you be able to give me some pointers on the religious language topic? I don't enjoy that one very much...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 158
Could anyone doing moral philosophy explain the difference between normative and metaethical relativism please? :smile:
Original post by Mick1612
I think, and this is just my opinion (so don't hold me to this) that the questions for Moral and Religious Philosophy will be:

Moral Philosophy:
- Possibly a question on the Moral Relativism and then lead into nihalism
- Either a question about the ration philosophy (Kant + Aquinas),
- Or maybe a general question, like "assess the claim that moral values can be derived from fact" (realist vs. non-realist)

Philosophy of Religion:
- Something on the topic of cosmology (origin of the universe, Kalam, Swinburne etc.)
- A question on Part IV, the making sense of Religion (Probably about the relevance in Modern day society?)

i was thinking the exact same! Cosmology would be perfect, no idea what ethics question I'll do though :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending