The Student Room Group

A2 ICT INFO3 AQA Prerelease Material June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
The last question seemed to be very difficult, I wrote about basically how it changes all of the 3 points moving from traditional methods to new ways, how it will cost individuals, organisations and society as increased costs to provide a better service, I found it hard to come up with a lot of points but just found myself repeating what I put for the each of the points:frown:, What did you put?
Reply 81
I did get confused as it used the word "impacts" as well, I thought for a second it was just talking about the drawbacks of the broadband but I included benefits as well such as organisations will be more productive and will be able to carry out tasks faster etc.
I think grade boundaries will be higher than normal

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 83
What did people write for crm systems one and social networking site question i talked about like how crms systems can linked to JIT SYSTEMS meaning reduced wastage. I gave an example of were it is applied like restaurants etc

I also talked about crm system being able to collect specific data which the company can use to their advantage for marketing services such as ticket offers etc

I also contrasted it with social networking sites allow the company to promtoed products or services to a wider audience compared to Crm systems

Furthermore, i talked about how social networking sites can be used to provide live, up to date information about football matches for example cancellations due to weather conditions. etc

Am i heading in the right direction or have i completely messed up the question??

Overall i thought this papers wasnt bad compared to others just hope boundaries are high :frown:
Reply 84
Also what did people write about the Back up question?

did anyone talk about disaster recovery strategy which needs to be in place and the different back up options and recovery procedures options?

Backup options available for large systems;
• Failover systems (used to provide continuous service for mission critical systems such as e-commerce. If the main system fails, they immediately switch to standby services to maintain continuity. They may involve standby hardware, such as a network or server, software data, depending on the cause of the problem)
• Replicated systems provide quick recovery of databases.
• Regular snapshots (frozen image of a file system at a given instant of time)
• Periodic backup to disk, involves making a backup copy to another hard disk
• Tape backup, allows backups to be a portable medium that can be stored away from the server
• Archiving is useful for backing up data that may not be needed immediately but must be retained.
Procedures for recovery of large scale systems;
• Step 1: Estimate situation – Evaluate the extent of the problem
• Step 2: Evaluate available resources – This includes both human and hardware resources, making sure the required expertise is available and assessing whether there is sufficient functioning hardware & disk space
• Step 3: Set up – Install good hard disks into functioning hardware
• Step 4: Recovery run – Install the data recovery software onto the host machine and run it
• Step 5: Evaluate the results – Undertake a manual review of the most important files
• Step 6: Clean up – Remove any corrupt files or files that were created for the purpose of testing recovery
Original post by thairshan

did anyone talk about disaster recovery strategy which needs to be in place and the different back up options and recovery procedures options?

• Failover systems (used to provide continuous service for mission critical systems such as e-commerce. If the main system fails, they immediately switch to standby services to maintain continuity. They may involve standby hardware, such as a network or server, software data, depending on the cause of the problem)
• Tape backup, allows backups to be a portable medium that can be stored away from the server
• Archiving is useful for backing up data that may not be needed immediately but must be retained.
• Step 2: Evaluate available resources – This includes both human and hardware resources, making sure the required expertise is available and assessing whether there is sufficient functioning hardware & disk space
• Step 4: Recovery run – Install the data recovery software onto the host machine and run it
• Step 5: Evaluate the results – Undertake a manual review of the most important files
• Step 6: Clean up – Remove any corrupt files or files that were created for the purpose of testing recovery

I talked about backup and recovery procedures more generally, spoke about risk analysis and hot & cold site recovery options as well as reciprocal arrangements.
Reply 86
Original post by minaaz2
Heyy! :smile: how did you find that? I thought it was a decent paper. Just about finished on the dot. What kind of stuff did you put for the last question? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey me and my friends thought it was fairly decent. Luckily what i revised came up. But i kinda mixed up unit 2,3 and 1 stuff in there. Oohh wow still it is all ICT.

I kinda had to make a conclusion quickly for the last question as the guy said stop writing now:frown:

To start with I wrote about the apple presentation yesterday in which the guy mentioned I cloud and how they are improving it, then i linked that to the high broadband speed would allow faster upload/ download.

I talked about gaming.

About business meetings across the world using web cams.

can't remember the rest

What did you write?
I thought it was pretty hard, definitely harder than the January one. Lots of the questions seemed to be general knowledge rather than learned topics.

I was kind of general about the backup and recovery one, I didn't do a step-by-step thing.
On the last question I did about telenetworking, video conferencing, file sharing, and remote areas getting access to the Internet.

What did everyone put for the first question on section B, with the table about testing? I had no idea, I just guessed them
Reply 88
Original post by justthatgirlish
I thought it was pretty hard, definitely harder than the January one. Lots of the questions seemed to be general knowledge rather than learned topics.

I was kind of general about the backup and recovery one, I didn't do a step-by-step thing.
On the last question I did about telenetworking, video conferencing, file sharing, and remote areas getting access to the Internet.

What did everyone put for the first question on section B, with the table about testing? I had no idea, I just guessed them

Funny thing me and my friend did the same thing.. First two I am pretty confident with but the last 2 are 50/50

1. Volume testing
2. Platform testing
3. White Box
4. Black box
Reply 89
The question i really liked was about changeover types and recommending one because i was expecting it.

I wrote about 2 benefits and 2-3 drawbacks of each

Then recommended Phased over direct change over because it is less risky that way..

Any one else what did you recommend?
Reply 90
Original post by madkyoshi
Funny thing me and my friend did the same thing.. First two I am pretty confident with but the last 2 are 50/50

1. Volume testing
2. Platform testing
3. White Box
4. Black box

Wasnt it
Number 1 - Testing network based systems
Number 2 – Beta testing
Number 3 – Alpha testing
Number 4 - Regression testing
Reply 91
Wasnt it
Number 2 – Beta testing
Number 3 – Alpha testing

ahah maybe I screwed it ;/
Reply 92
Wasnt it
Number 2 – Beta testing
Number 3 – Alpha testing

Actually mate about 1st two I think you may just be wrong.

Cause first one was using large volumes of data to test.

2nd about using different software/operating system to test so i think I may be right but can't be 100%:redface:
Reply 93
ahah maybe I screwed it ;/

im not sure either i think i got the beta and regression tests right the other two not sure :frown:

I talked about aspects of the above, as well as hot standby sites, alternative buildings... Also talked about the company identifying key elements of the business, as well as threats and likelihood of threats to these said elements. Also talked about back up and consideration factors of back-up for a large business.

Will I pick up any marks for this and the above paragraph ??? Worried about it
Reply 95
it said different versions so i figured beta testing for 2nd one
Reply 96
Original post by fail_in_a_can
I talked about aspects of the above, as well as hot standby sites, alternative buildings... Also talked about the company identifying key elements of the business, as well as threats and likelihood of threats to these said elements. Also talked about back up and consideration factors of back-up for a large business.

Will I pick up any marks for this and the above paragraph ??? Worried about it

Thing about ICT is that examiners can give you marks if they believe you have a valid point so I wouldn't really worry too much as long as you made sense and were relevant to the question... Because there are many alternatives to what people could say and the way they could've said it in.

Because if it was otherwise in ICT then the people would score horrible as a majority.
Reply 97
I think so because i asked my teacher whos an examiner and he said that my points were correct :smile:
Reply 98
I think so because i asked my teacher whos an examiner and he said that my points were correct :smile:

Good for you man!!
haha omg i went to my teacher for last minute revision and i knew way more about ICT then he, It was funny cause he was forced to teach ICT

Still what grade are you aiming for? or what do you need in this? and what do you want overall?
Thing about ICT is that examiners can give you marks if they believe you have a valid point so I wouldn't really worry too much as long as you made sense and were relevant to the question... Because there are many alternatives to what people could say and the way they could've said it in.

Because if it was otherwise in ICT then the people would score horrible as a majority.

Awesome ! I just really went into great detail about the six later steps that thairshan posted. Then got worried and put a load in about hot standby sites and their importance as well as alternative buildings :smile:

Other than that, only question im slightly worried about was the Q9.... I wrote like 2 pages including some points i am really nervous about... However, i only need like 30/100 for a C overall, 52/100 for a B overall and 73/100 overall for an A... As long as I bank the B overall, im happy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest