The Student Room Group

OCR F297 Case Study

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by revise7869
That was really helpful, thank you! :smile:

Also Ive noticed they seem to 27 staff in their e commerce yet only 2, or 4 in about 3 of their stores :O ... Why so much in eCommerce ?

umm yeah that does seem high. but its hard to compare ecommerce with the other outlets because its different. its grown to be responsible for 50% of ccls turnover and it was only launched in 2009 so would not worry about it.
Could be, but when I worked out (dont know what its called might be labour turnover) I divided the number of staff in each store by the profit made in each store, and e commerce come up as the least productive. Wouldn't that be a good point to make?

If anyone knows what the key words is when you divide profit by the amount of staff, it would be really helpful
Reply 202
Original post by naina157
Can anyone give me an example of how to achieve Level 3 and 4 when answering questions- know the content and all now but the way of answering level 3 and 4 is not working for me. Help please?

if u could give me a question i could try give u a example
Reply 203
some of you are saying if promotional comes up after decision tree, and they ask what is the best option?
When we worked it out say sponsoring a race is the best option, would you say 2adv 2 disadv in like 2 paragrapghs 1 adv 1disadv in each paragraph by combing the adv and disadv, then write conclusion saying best option realistically, obvs throughout using numbs sorry for bad eng in a rush :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 204
Original post by frosty122
if u could give me a question i could try give u a example

Question would be :
Evaluate external influences likely to affect the ability of CCL to achieve it's objectives?
umm yeah that does seem high. but its hard to compare ecommerce with the other outlets because its different. its grown to be responsible for 50% of ccls turnover and it was only launched in 2009 so would not worry about it.

Understand it responsible for 50 percent, but is has a lot of overheads. I just feel and there could be an alternative. Good point to say its fairly new, I completely ignored that
Original post by ebduff
it could be 'should they get the golf shop', 'should they get the solar panels' or 'should they get the gold shop or the solar panels'

either way they'll all have pretty much the same essay format :smile:

would you make links between the two and make each paragraph relate to both e.g. risk - more risk for one than the other? or would you just give advs and disadvs of the two investments without making blantant links?
Reply 207
Original post by Devina-S
would you make links between the two and make each paragraph relate to both e.g. risk - more risk for one than the other? or would you just give advs and disadvs of the two investments without making blantant links?

In that question about both you would prob say 1 adv and 1 dis of both solar and golf ie 2 paragrapghs long and short term etc.with analysis preferably for both use numbers, then conclusion talk which is better and explain why you choose :smile:
I have no Idea what fiscal policy is. I have not Been taught it and I'm having a nervous breakdown :")
Reply 209
Question would be :
Evaluate external influences likely to affect the ability of CCL to achieve it's objectives?

external influences would be your unemployment rate, rate of inflation, gdp, interest rate.

so for example

Rising unemployment would have a very significant affect on ccl. especially the objective of rockingham forest and the eCommerce. the objective of being number one retailer will be less effected because competitors are operating with the same external factors. if ccls customers are unemployed then there income and more importantly there discretionary income will be effectively £0. as most of ccls customers buy ccls products with discretionary income then the demand for there products will drop significantly. in order for ccl to counteract this decline in demand they should begin to promote bikes as a cheaper alternative to having a car,this would appeal to unemployed people.

something like that its a little long winded someone will be able to shorten it

hope it helps
Original post by bethcxo
As in from the decision tree?

It's hard to tell at the moment as we don't have the full figures, however if you look at it from the objectives of the business, above-the-line promotion does not fit in with "becoming East Midlands number one retailer" as they want to be a REGIONAL monopoly, not a national monopoly - which above-the-line promo entails national advertisement, so doesn't really fit in with objectives.

In terms of actually promoting the business and achieving the objective above (No. 1 retailer), targeted discounts will appeal to current customers only that already visit their website, or come into their stores! To achieve the objective CCL needs to be extending their customer base and promoting their brand to new customers. Therefore, the two logical outcomes would be to sponsor a race or team. Depending on the outcomes of the two EMV's for these options, I'd probably choose one of these two.

Obviously try and use figures from the EMV's and another decision making tool i.e. ARR or payback to help your arguments too.

Finally, just been reading through examiners comments, you NEED to say that decision trees also have a weakness that they are only based on probabilities which were given by Bradley, therefore may not be correct and/or bias.

Just because it's the highest EMV doesn't mean it's right for CCL or fits in with their business strategic objective!

Hope this helps :smile:

above the line can also be regional advertising such as regional radio; it doesn't necessarily have to be national!
Reply 211
Original post by Ollymurslove
I have no Idea what fiscal policy is. I have not Been taught it and I'm having a nervous breakdown :")

Fiscal policy is defined as a economic policy conducted by the government through taxation and public spending- external factor. So if taxation rises then this would reduce public spending and so reduce the level of revenue for CCL preventing them to achieve their strategic/tactical objectives of becoming the number 1 retailer in East midlands.
Reply 212
external influences would be your unemployment rate, rate of inflation, gdp, interest rate.

so for example

Rising unemployment would have a very significant affect on ccl. especially the objective of rockingham forest and the eCommerce. the objective of being number one retailer will be less effected because competitors are operating with the same external factors. if ccls customers are unemployed then there income and more importantly there discretionary income will be effectively £0. as most of ccls customers buy ccls products with discretionary income then the demand for there products will drop significantly. in order for ccl to counteract this decline in demand they should begin to promote bikes as a cheaper alternative to having a car,this would appeal to unemployed people.

something like that its a little long winded someone will be able to shorten it

hope it helps

Thank you it does help but I just wanted to ask what you mean by the 'objective of being number one retailer will be less effected because competitors are operating with the same external factors'. Didn't really get this point so would be helpful if you could explain further.
Fiscal policy is defined as a economic policy conducted by the government through taxation and public spending- external factor. So if taxation rises then this would reduce public spending and so reduce the level of revenue for CCL preventing them to achieve their strategic/tactical objectives of becoming the number 1 retailer in East midlands.

Thank you so much!! Would it be a question on its own?!
Reply 214
Original post by Ollymurslove
Thank you so much!! Would it be a question on its own?!

I highly doubt it but there may be a question like discuss the external factors affecting CCL and then you could bring in the economic policy's such as fiscal policy.
Reply 215
Thank you it does help but I just wanted to ask what you mean by the 'objective of being number one retailer will be less effected because competitors are operating with the same external factors'. Didn't really get this point so would be helpful if you could explain further.

so for example if unemployment rises the effects from that (people having less money to spend on bikes ) is felt by ccl and there competitors. so ccls sales will go down but so will competitors so they will be equal. u get me ?
Reply 216
so for example if unemployment rises the effects from that (people having less money to spend on bikes ) is felt by ccl and there competitors. so ccls sales will go down but so will competitors so they will be equal. u get me ?

Oh yea I get it now, thanks for the help :smile:
I dont understand any of the ratios. I will cry if it comes it up lol. Can someone explain what these ratios are and how they need to be applied?
Reply 218
What are the impacts of monetary policy on CCL?- changes in the rate of interest!
Reply 219
Original post by bethcxo
As in from the decision tree?

It's hard to tell at the moment as we don't have the full figures, however if you look at it from the objectives of the business, above-the-line promotion does not fit in with "becoming East Midlands number one retailer" as they want to be a REGIONAL monopoly, not a national monopoly - which above-the-line promo entails national advertisement, so doesn't really fit in with objectives.

In terms of actually promoting the business and achieving the objective above (No. 1 retailer), targeted discounts will appeal to current customers only that already visit their website, or come into their stores! To achieve the objective CCL needs to be extending their customer base and promoting their brand to new customers. Therefore, the two logical outcomes would be to sponsor a race or team. Depending on the outcomes of the two EMV's for these options, I'd probably choose one of these two.

Obviously try and use figures from the EMV's and another decision making tool i.e. ARR or payback to help your arguments too.

Finally, just been reading through examiners comments, you NEED to say that decision trees also have a weakness that they are only based on probabilities which were given by Bradley, therefore may not be correct and/or bias.

Just because it's the highest EMV doesn't mean it's right for CCL or fits in with their business strategic objective!

a good point that my teacher said was that targeted discounts is short term. u cant offer discounts forever, unless u are dfs.
so basically we can say for sure they should not do discounts unless the figures tomorrow say some crazy money could be made then maybe could be considered

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending