The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emily.rose
Hey, I really want to join sja but i'm 17 and not sure whether to contact my local cadets or adult group? In my opinion it seems pretty pointless doing cadets for only a couple of months but is there a reason why you would have to be 18 to join an adult division?

Being 18 alters what you are and aren't allowed to do, and it also takes you outside child protection policies etc.

The length of time it seems to take to recruit you may well make it to 18 before your application is processed so itmight be worth speaking to the recruitment people.
Original post by emily.rose
Hey, I really want to join sja but i'm 17 and not sure whether to contact my local cadets or adult group? In my opinion it seems pretty pointless doing cadets for only a couple of months but is there a reason why you would have to be 18 to join an adult division?

Unfortunately due to the recent changes in policy by the youth dept under 18s can only attend youth units.

Also due to these same policy changes under 18s cannot take adult qualifications...

At 17 and a bit it might now be better to wait.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The epsom derby was intense I got to help the doctor stitch this guys head back together after it got lacerated with a knife.
The recruitment seems to be taking some time is this normal? I applied in April and was told by a regional director that the pathway manager will contact me soon for a CRB and health check I think and that was in May. I don't mind waiting but I really want to start :tongue:
Reply 684
Original post by raveen789
The recruitment seems to be taking some time is this normal? I applied in April and was told by a regional director that the pathway manager will contact me soon for a CRB and health check I think and that was in May. I don't mind waiting but I really want to start :tongue:

It could be because SJA are having / completing their restructure of the whole organisation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 685
Original post by raveen789

And part of this new restructure is changing how recruitment is carried out I believe it's going to be targeted recruitment for instance if they need more volunteers from the West Midlands such as somewhere like Birmingham then they will put the ad up their somehow and if they want volunteers from Leeds for instance then they will advertise their specifically etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
they also aren't starting recruitment processes unless and until there is a place in the training pipeline - there are reportedly several thousand partially processed applications started by counties that the regions are having to pick through ....
Ah ok well I was told I will be contacted so I hope that means I will still get a place and be able to volunteer :smile:

EDIT: oh the lady in charge said - "Can take a while as they are organising training first". So guess I should just wait patiently :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
It took them ages to sort mine out - I was tempted to tell them not to bother.
Original post by Ethereal
It took them ages to sort mine out - I was tempted to tell them not to bother.

Yeah it took them nearly a month and a half to acknowledge mine, I had already started going to the local meetings though because I was fed up waiting! :cool:
Original post by 01Chris02
Yeah it took them nearly a month and a half to acknowledge mine, I had already started going to the local meetings though because I was fed up waiting! :cool:

Which , by the way, is gross misconduct by both you and the unit leader.
Original post by 01Chris02

Took them 11 months to give me uniform - and we're talking NATO not SDU.

Original post by zippyRN

On what basis?
Ethereal

Firstly it's organisational policy, there are a number of reasons why.

1. Safeguarding - many Ops units meet in same place and on the same night as youth units.

2. Safeguarding again, there are Support Members and even a few First Aiders who meet the legal definition of 'Vulnerable Adult' .

3. Safeguarding again, in the past and for the next two years while in transition there are young persons (16-18) who attend Ops units.

4. Access to commercially sensitive information.

5. Less so now than in the past potential access to uniforms and supplies.

Consequent ti these it has been organisational policy for a number of years that people do not attend activities outside Induction / Pathways until their membership
And DBS status is confirmed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zippyRN

Hardly gross misconduct. Ok it's not supposed to happen but every division does it otherwise nobody new would be joining.
Original post by zippyRN

St John Ambulance, NORTHERN IRELAND, we've been over this before. Different jurisdictions, different rules, I was told to attend before the headquarters finished the paperwork.

Technically I go to a division, not a unit; and technically you shouldn't have a space before that comma. See how annoying it is?

Also, gross misconduct, can you actually read what you're writing? Do you even know what that means? It means adequate grounds for immediate dismissal. It isn't gross misconduct as he's the flipping superintendent.

What is it with you? You absolutely ruin this society, all you ever do is spew out regulations and technicalities. You can never just lay back and have reasonable discussions with other members, and as a result you discourage the few members that actually post here.

What actually is your problem? Are you a professional troll or something?
Original post by Whey aye Cabaye
Hardly gross misconduct. Ok it's not supposed to happen but every division does it otherwise nobody new would be joining.

That is incorrect. New joiners attend pathway units once they have been invited.

it is gross misconduct for people to attend unit meetings before their membership is concerned ...

also which other DBS and/or CQC covered providers allow people to attend places of work or training before their pre-employment checks are completed ?

Just because SJA is a charity and because volunteers are volunteers it does not negate the law or it's requirements ... Meeting places are places where regulated activities take place - Youth meetings, training delivery, storage of vehicles - even temporary )

" we're only volunteers" hasn't stood up in a court of law on every occasion it;s been tested ( Tideway Incident - which resulted in criminal prosecutions, and although the Bath half marathon civil case was settled out of court SJA accepted culpability and introduced substantial changes to policy).
(edited 10 years ago)
Ah ok well I was told I will be contacted so I hope that means I will still get a place and be able to volunteer

EDIT: oh the lady in charge said - "Can take a while as they are organising training first". So guess I should just wait patiently
Original post by zippyRN
Ethereal

Firstly it's organisational policy, there are a number of reasons why.

1. Safeguarding - many Ops units meet in same place and on the same night as youth units.- Adult division, no children or vulnerable adults.

2. Safeguarding again, there are Support Members and even a few First Aiders who meet the legal definition of 'Vulnerable Adult' .- You're working on a technicality here, besides there are no vulnerable adults in my division.

3. Safeguarding again, in the past and for the next two years while in transition there are young persons (16-18) who attend Ops units. -Operational units? Everyone in my division is over 18.

4. Access to commercially sensitive information.- It's under lock and key.

5. Less so now than in the past potential access to uniforms and supplies. - Under more locks and keys.

Consequent ti these it has been organisational policy for a number of years that people do not attend activities outside Induction / Pathways until their membership
And DBS status is confirmed. What is your actual role in St John Ambulance? Apart from being a RN.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Above.
Chris i've held a variety of staff and clinical appointments including ops management and Assurance and Governance

Posted from TSR Mobile
What area of nursing do you work in Zippy? Just out of interest? I've noticed a lot of nursing staff come from all over the spectrum.

Quick Reply

Latest