The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicso
Yeh but whats the actual formula?

Yeah that was weird - i think you just had to use the fact that on c2+ i2 goes to c2i2 (saturated bonds)

key

HA : 'acid'
A- N+ : 'salt of conjugate base'

for the reaction

HA <=> H+ A-

equation (products over reactants)

Ka = [H+][A-] / [HA]

Assumptions:

1. [HA] = [HA]eq

2. [A-] = [H+ A-]
Can someone please explain to me how to do Q1 (d) (i) from June 12

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/131296-question-paper-unit-f335-chemistry-by-design.pdf
Reagents and conditions of Amide formation from ethanol and ethanoyl chloride? Do you have to reflux or add acid or anything?
Original post by Salmonidae
Reagents and conditions of Amide formation from ethanol and ethanoyl chloride? Do you have to reflux or add acid or anything?

do you mean ethanoyl chloride + aminoethane? my revision guide doesn't give any specific conditions, just calls the process acylating
at least i hope you mean that because i don't know how to make an amide using ethanol + ethanoyl chloride - unless you meant making an ester?

From ethanoyl chloride conc. ammonia at room temp
not sure about from alcohol sorry
Reply 465
Can anyone explain solubility and insolubility in terms of intermolecular bonding please?
Reply 466

add NH3 at room temp, ethanol is used as a solvent.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 467
Original post by stealth_writer

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/131296-question-paper-unit-f335-chemistry-by-design.pdf

heres how i did it,
forumula used: Moles = Concentration x Vol
(1 mol of gas occupies 24dm3)

1. i worked out the moles of oxygen, 8.3 x 10-3 x 24 = 0.1992
2. they told us ratio of nitrogen to oxygen is 4:1, therefore moles of nitrogen is 0.1992 x 4 = 0.7968.
3. since we know the moles of nitrogen, we can work out its concentration using the formula: 0.7968 / 24 = 0.033
Not sure why the mark scheme want it as 0.033 rather than 0.03 though
Reply 468

24 * 5

So you finding the total volume of air.

4:1 ratio of N2 to O2

so 1/120 = 8.3*10^-3

4/120 = 0.03
Can someone help me with Jan 13 Q's 3 (d) (i), Q4 (d) (v) please
Reply 470
Original post by Mtheodore
heres how i did it,
forumula used: Moles = Concentration x Vol
(1 mol of gas occupies 24dm3)

1. i worked out the moles of oxygen, 8.3 x 10-3 x 24 = 0.1992
2. they told us ratio of nitrogen to oxygen is 4:1, therefore moles of nitrogen is 0.1992 x 4 = 0.7968.
3. since we know the moles of nitrogen, we can work out its concentration using the formula: 0.7968 / 24 = 0.033
Not sure why the mark scheme want it as 0.033 rather than 0.03 though

part 1. I wouldn'tuse this as a valiud method all the time as while this mark scheme allows it, it doesn't always want you to use the "show that" part of the equation in your working out.
Reply 471
Original post by martynsteel
Right I think I've eventually got it, I reckons its due to the fact that we're told 1/3 of the solution is diluted, and the ratio of [salt]/[acid] HAS to be 2 (from reverse engineering the answer).

So my final calculating came to be:

(0.0045*0.1)/((2/3)*0.05*0.027) which works out to be 1/2 exactly. I think the trick of this question is that the concentration of the acid (HA) has been partially diluted. :smile:

sorry to bring this back up haha

But are moles in the same ratio as the concentrations would be? cause that looks like you're calculating the moles
Reply 472
Original post by TheNote
part 1. I wouldn'tuse this as a valiud method all the time as while this mark scheme allows it, it doesn't always want you to use the "show that" part of the equation in your working out.

ok, but any idea why the mark scheme says 'do not accept 0.03' though?
guys

what topics does "Ionisation energy explanations" cover?
Reply 474
guys

what topics does "Ionisation energy explanations" cover?

its from F332
Basically first ionisation enthalpy - is the energy needed to remove an electron from 1 mol of isolated gaseous atoms

X(g) --> X+ + e-

its in chemical ideas 2.5
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tikara
This ones just based around Moles = mass/Mr

1% of 1kg is 0.01kg (just divide by 100)

Mr of Sulfur is just 32
Mr of Sulfuric Acid is 98

Find the moles of Sulfur:
0.01/32 = 0.0003125

Find mass of sulfuric acid using the same moles:
0.0003125 x 98 = mass = 0.030625 = 0.031 (2sf)
theres one S atom in the sulfuric acid so I assumed it was 1:1 ratio hence the same moles.

As every value in the question is to 2 significant figures and the question states an appropriate number of sf you get the last mark just for rounding correctly!

I don't know how correct that is but I got the right answer :P I was confused at first thinking that I had to use the Mr of sulphur dioxide but that was earlier in the question and you were only given the mass of sulphur. Also,

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 476

Did the question ask for an appropriate number of significant figures? If so, then it has to be to two sig figures as that's what the value of oxygen was to (if I remember correctly)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tikara
don't worry haha

Sal Khan actually made me remember this but 'p' infront of anything is just
-log(of something)
[like pH = -log(H+)]

Ka is the acidity constant. This usually is a really small number and they cover a large range of values, it's converted to pKa solely for ease of use and so it can be easily compared to pH - coarse tuning remember!
So if you wanted a pH of 4, you'd pick the acid with the closest pKa value to 4 and then fine tune with the salt:acid ratio :smile:

hope that helps

OMG that's a brilliant way to remember the pH and pKa calculations
Reply 478
Original post by super121
Did the question ask for an appropriate number of significant figures? If so, then it has to be to two sig figures as that's what the value of oxygen was to (if I remember correctly)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it didnt ask for appropriate number of sig figs, which is what confused me, but it did give the conc. of oxygen as 8.3 x 10-3
Reply 479

Sig figs? I don't think they penalise you for doing more sig figs than you need, but doing less is what they wanted to mark here.

Latest

Trending

Trending