Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by yarshad
That was well weird, NO DATA ANALYSIS :O

Tiny little bit on global warming, no tree rings, peat bog etc

No succession as well omg

Got a feeling a made daft mistakes though :/

I put Cystine instead of Cytosine lawl. :|

Omg! I know no data!! That was a god send though...!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 521
Original post by blue21
It was about the enzyme that was made from the virus and how it caused lysis to the cell membrane I think, it was quite confusing :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was it how the enzyme broke down the cell membrane?
I said, the enzyme is specific, and acts on cholesterol molecules in the membrane. I said that the cholesterol gives rigidity to the membrane, and when they are broken down by the enzyme, the membrane would rupture easily. Dunno if that's right :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 522
Original post by Alia223
What did you write for the last question about changes in phenotype being too slow? I spoke about allele frequency and evolution =/

I thunk it was about the selection pressures being the same for both as they both occupy similiar niches etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 523
Original post by SKK94
Was it how the enzyme broke down the cell membrane?
I said, the enzyme is specific, and acts on cholesterol molecules in the membrane. I said that the cholesterol gives rigidity to the membrane, and when they are broken down by the enzyme, the membrane would rupture easily. Dunno if that right :frown:

That sounds like a pretty good answer, it was just suggest so I'm hoping if we talked about any part of the cell membrane we will get the mark, I started rambling on about the phospholipid bi layer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 524
Original post by Ziggy_72
What about why measure the KJ over a year and not just the mass on one day for the NPP? I think I rambled on a bit there...

I BS that one. Put something about it takes a mean for the year as the energy available changes with seasons.
What did people put for the investigation to see what affect light had on the organism?
Reply 525
Oh and why can't virus survive a cut in the skin?
Reply 526
Original post by Lgambo

I put about skin being impenetrable, and that the skin was made of Keratin.
It formed a tough barrier.

No idea if it is right though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 527
Original post by C94
I put about skin being impenetrable, and that the skin was made of skin.
It formed a tough barrier.

No idea if it is right though.

I said that too.
I also mentioned that maybe the pH of the skin causes the protein coat to deform, hence the virus becomes inactive?
Reply 528
For the question regarding enzymes "S" and "T" or something. And they asked what their roles/function was....

For that I was saying that these were the enzymes : Integrase and Reverse transcriptase. I was talking about their roles, how Reverse transcriptase reverses transcription, and changes Viral RNA into Viral DNA, and how integrase integrates the Viral DNA in the host's cell.

Is this what we were supposed to do, or have I wrote BS?
Reply 529
Original post by blue21
That sounds like a pretty good answer, it was just suggest so I'm hoping if we talked about any part of the cell membrane we will get the mark, I started rambling on about the phospholipid bi layer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, they might allow for a range of answers, as long they make sense? :smile:
Original post by Lgambo

Inflammation
Reply 531
Original post by SKK94
I said that too.
I also mentioned that maybe the pH of the skin causes the protein coat to deform, hence the virus becomes inactive?

Yeah, Good answer.
Reply 532
Original post by Taylor Swift
Inflammation

Surely it has to get past the skin for any inflammation to occur ?
Grade boundaries on this paper??? I think it was WAY harder than others ...
I think I did really badly -.- (silly mistakes), need to really do well in unit 5! LOL
Original post by C94

The first part was the skin has keratin protein which is hard, and this is seen as a physical barrier.

The second part of why it can't enter cells was inflmmation.
Reply 535
Original post by C94

There were two questions,
Something like- why does the skin act as a barrier?
And- if a virus was to get into a cut, why wouldn't the body be infected?
Reply 536
The first part was the skin has keratin protein which is hard, and this is seen as a physical barrier.

The second part of why it can't enter cells was inflmmation.

Yes that part would be correct
Original post by Lgambo
There were two questions,
Something like- why does the skin act as a barrier?
And- if a virus was to get into a cut, why wouldn't the body be infected?

It was keratin/protein ... Hard skin - Physical barrier
This was a question I saw from a past paper before!
Reply 538
It was keratin/protein ... Hard skin - Physical barrier
This was a question I saw from a past paper before!

I also put that the skin flora would prevent the colonization of bacteria and viruses.
Reply 539
Original post by SKK94
I said that too.

:rolleyes: The skin acts as a physical barrier to the inside of the body, and skin flora (healthy bacteria on the skin) take up any space that otherwise pathogens would and the skin flora outcompete them.

Also the common cold virus won't infect any cells inside the blood stream because 1) it binds to a specific protein receptor in cells in the nose - these receptors might not be present in the blood stream or surrounding tissues so the virus can't infect any cells, and 2) any macrophages present will recognise the virus particles as foreign and ingest them through phagocytosis.

Honestly, I thought that was the easiest Biology 4 paper I've done out of the past papers. Definitely easier than January also. In recent years the grade boundaries have been highest of 67 for A*, but I can see it being 69-71 for an A* for this paper.

I probably dropped 5 marks on virus question, as I was confused about S, T and U, but hopefully I picked up 1 or 2 marks each on these questions. On the other questions I probably dropped the odd 1 or 2 marks, I'm expecting 75+ on raw marks.

Several of the questions seemed to be literally copied from other papers, e.g. the 'how cellulose is produced from the Calvin Cycle' question - I was revising that exact question the evening beforehand in a past paper. The question about reproductive isolation due to the behavioral differences of the chiffchaffs and worblers and their different mating songs - that was another question I've seen before.

I was also suprised at the fact they missed out a lot of key topics. Photosynthesis wasn't covered in too much detail, there was nothing on succession if I remember correctly, or entomology, I can't remember that either. Couldn't believe the fact there was no 3-4 mark data analysis questions as well!

Edit: Negging me? Because I found it easy? I'm allowed to find it easy, I wasn't being cocky or arrogant about it though! This was one of the easier papers in my opinion, sorry about that.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending