The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BUSS3, 13 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by alem
Thank you for sharing this, I shall have a look at it. I can't concentrate reading anymore so this might do it. :smile:

You're welcome! :smile:
I watched it and its brief but is useful as I can't be asked to ready any more for today.
Reply 261
EXAM TECHNIQUE:

I have taught my students to evaluate throughout the whole essay and they should write at least 3-4 BIG paragraphs.

1. Each paragraph makes a point (e.g a whole paragraph dedicated to "moving to Romania reduces operating costs" - A FOR point, if you will)

2. In this paragraph, provide some evidence from the case study (2 or more supporting pieces of data = GOOD application. Easy to get. Guarantees L3 on its own)

3. Explain why (analysis). The longer and deeper the chain of logical argument, the greater the chance of receiving GOOD analysis (admittedly more difficult to get than GAp)

4. Undermine/counter the entire paragraph (evaluation) to finish up. (E.g. However, the business may experience language barrier problems or a lower quality product which could blah blah blah. It DEPENDS UPON cash flow/profit targets/the objective of the business.)

The conclusion should provide an explicit judgement (no fence sitting please!!!!) with justification and a discussion around ranking factors (AQA love this) or which is most important and why. Evaluation marks are intrinsically linked to the support provided. This conclusion should link back to arguments already made in the previous paragraphs, and ultimately, answer the question.

It is entirely acceptable for students to perform some analysis, or use examples, in their evaluation. This will be rewarded with evaluation marks as opposed to analysis/app.

If students can do 3/4/5 of these chunky paragraphs, they tend to do very well indeed in BUSS3. Everything about this structure is attuned to the awarding of marks for skills that examiners are looking for. We had outstanding results this January, with a couple of students getting 100%.

To be fair, essay technique from BUSS2/BUSS3/BUSS4 is pretty much identical, only weighting of marks shifts away from Knowledge/App/An to Evaluation at A2 and the length increases.

I'm sure you have students/had students whose knowledge is pretty ropey, yet manage to punch above their weight? This is because they can write a good essay and demonstrate the skills examiners are looking for, as opposed to being able to regurgitate the A2 text book or write a perfectly balanced essay.

All the best for the coming year!

SKA
Reply 262
how do you know if the net present value of an investment is positive or negative
Original post by Kemz
how do you know if the net present value of an investment is positive or negative

calculate it?
Looking to get a B overall here. I got an A in BUSS1, a high B in BUSS2 and an E in BUSS3 Jan which is why I'm retaking it. If I were to not retake my BUSS3 or take my BUSS4 exams I'd be sitting pretty with a D. That's a nice little bit of assurance for me.
Original post by Kemz

Add it up but minus the initial cost. If it's positive, go ahead, if negative, don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 266
Original post by yaboy
I dont think you lot understand how harsh the marking is in business papers, its very rare for people to get A*s. Think about it this way you only need about 55 marks on average for an A in unit 3 out of 80. Basically Examiners will their utmost to not give you the marks.

You dont regret it trust me, the paper was an absolute joke. My invigilator stopped us 10mins before the end aswell lol

That's a bit weird considering I have seen so many papers marked 58 and over. Not only that but a few people in my class got A's, they never even attempt to answer any questions in class and if they do, they give vague answers! Yet, they end up with A's in exams. :confused:
what is the ideal figure for ARR?
Reply 268
Original post by michelle_bucket
what is the ideal figure for ARR?

The higher the ARR (the percentage) the more favourable the project will be :smile:
Reply 269
How would you structure the 36 mark question ??
Original post by dulwin
The higher the ARR (the percentage) the more favourable the project will be :smile:

thank you:smile:
Reply 271
Has moving averages/correlation etc ever come up?
Reply 272
Original post by bundlez
How would you structure the 36 mark question ??

Definition (if needed)
For:
Answer
Why
Effect on the business (Achieving corporate / financial objectives)
(^ x2)
Against:
Answer
Why
Effect on the business (Why can't it achieve it's corporate / financial objectives)
Conclusion:
Your opinion; should they or shouldn't they _____?
This is because although (your most significant for/against argument - the opposite one to what you think) may be beneficial in the short term it is a tactical not a strategic (long term) decision because.... (how does it impact the business?)
Therefore I believe that the decision to (opposing argument) is more effective in the long term, because ultimately (it does whatever the other one doesn't!) although it may be difficult to implement in the short term/ without experienced managers.

GOOD LUCK! I have this exam in the morning (11:25) and a Chem one immediately afterwards!:s-smilie:
Reply 273
Original post by Tommy1995
Has moving averages/correlation etc ever come up?

Hm, not sure- but they're pretty easy; make sure to check how many quarters they want you to do it for if it's moving av. though!:L
Reply 274
Original post by CharlieTT
Looking to get a B overall here. I got an A in BUSS1, a high B in BUSS2 and an E in BUSS3 Jan which is why I'm retaking it. If I were to not retake my BUSS3 or take my BUSS4 exams I'd be sitting pretty with a D. That's a nice little bit of assurance for me.

You're at the same point as me- but I got a D in January! If I get a B in BUSS4 I get a B overall which is what I need- not entirely sure why I'm retaking this one:L
Original post by Kat12395
You're at the same point as me- but I got a D in January! If I get a B in BUSS4 I get a B overall which is what I need- not entirely sure why I'm retaking this one:L

I'm doing it just in case the BUSS4 exam is awful.
just want to clarify, is operating profit same as net profit??:confused:
Reply 277

yes for the 5th time in this whole thread it is loool
Original post by Dazzer18
yes for the 5th time in this whole thread it is loool

really?:eek: im sorry haha:colondollar: thanks xx

No. Net profit is gross profit minus overheads. Operating profit takes into account all revenues and costs from regular trading but none from one-off events.

If gross profits are rising but operating profit is falling, then it means the company isn't controlling its costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending