The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 4 6BI04 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by C94
For the question regarding enzymes "S" and "T" or something. And they asked what their roles/function was....

For that I was saying that these were the enzymes : Integrase and Reverse transcriptase. I was talking about their roles, how Reverse transcriptase reverses transcription, and changes Viral RNA into Viral DNA, and how integrase integrates the Viral DNA in the host's cell.

Is this what we were supposed to do, or have I wrote BS?

I'm also certain that S and T weren't reverse transcriptase and integrase. In the question it said that the RNA strand is inserted from the virus and it travels straight to the ribosome for translation - therefore reverse transcriptase and integrase wouldn't be required as they are only need for transcription of the viral DNA/RNA.

Also the question before that said to compare the differences between the way HIV infects cells and copies it's RNA, compared to how the common cold virus did. The main difference was the fact that HIV, and not the common cold, required the use of reverse transcriptase and integrase.
Reply 541
Original post by Qwob
I'm also certain that S and T weren't reverse transcriptase and integrase. In the question it said that the RNA strand is inserted from the virus and it travels straight to the ribosome for translation - therefore reverse transcriptase and integrase wouldn't be required as they are only need for transcription of the viral DNA/RNA.

Also the question before that said to compare the differences between the way HIV infects cells and copies it's RNA, compared to how the common cold virus did. The main difference was the fact that HIV, and not the common cold, required the use of reverse transcriptase and integrase.

If the enzymes were not reverse transcriptase and integrase, what could they have been then?
Reply 542
Original post by C94
If the enzymes were not reverse transcriptase and integrase, what could they have been then?

This is what confused me. I took a guess and made us some BS saying that it might be RNA polymerase to help synthesise more RNA strands, and said another enzyme might be help make the capsid, or proteins on the capsid. These were both guesses though, most likely incorrect, but there was no need for the virus to have reverse transcriptase or integrase. I've looked through my textbook as well and I can't find any mention of any other specific enzymes that a virus might produce.
Reply 543
Original post by Qwob
This is what confused me. I took a guess and made us some BS saying that it might be RNA polymerase to help synthesise more RNA strands, and said another enzyme might be help make the capsid, or proteins on the capsid. These were both guesses though, most likely incorrect, but there was no need for the virus to have reverse transcriptase or integrase. I've looked through my textbook as well and I can't find any mention of any other specific enzymes that a virus might produce.

Well, from what you are saying, RNA polymerase would be right.

But I am pretty sure that the examiners were trying to make us think of Reverse Transcriptase and Integrase. Unless it was a trick question :/

Anyone else got any input on this question??
Reply 544
Original post by C94
I put about skin being impenetrable, and that the skin was made of skin.
It formed a tough barrier.

No idea if it is right though.

Yh that's what I said and that its made of keratin? I've no idea...
Reply 545
Original post by HQazi
Yh that's what I said and that its made of keratin? I've no idea...

Lol just noticed, that I have said that the "skin was made of skin". I meant keratin.
Well sh*t, that was a weird paper
For the skin one I wrote about the physical barrier of epithelial cells and the glands of sebum and other fatty acids on the skin which destroy bacteria. Hoping this is right :/
Reply 548
Original post by C94
Lol just noticed, that I have said that the "skin was made of skin". I meant keratin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, yh
Did you guys notice - no graph questions! Or maybe I cant remember questions now O.o
Reply 549
Original post by HQazi
Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, yh
Did you guys notice - no graph questions! Or maybe I cant remember questions now O.o

I am pretty sure there was no data analysis questions, except for the question regarding the single celled chloroplast species, and the different abiotic factors.

For that question did you pick, that "There was a relationship between the distribution of the species, and both the abiotic factors" ?
Original post by C94
I am pretty sure there was no data analysis questions, except for the question regarding the single celled chloroplast species, and the different abiotic factors.

For that question did you pick, that "There was a relationship between the distribution of the species, and both the abiotic factors" ?

Yepp :smile:
Reply 551
Original post by C94

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I was right to think no graph questions

Which question that? :redface: can't remember. Is it the one about moisture and light intensity?
If that's what you are talking about, I put more affected by moisture presence because I noticed if the moisture was less, the presence was low too
Reply 552
I think the A boundary will be 68/90!
Reply 553
Original post by bethanyfish
Yepp :smile:

Cool, because I put that too. It was the last question I did actually, and at first I thought there was no relationship. But then I noticed that the distribution values were jumbled up. Got there in the end.

For the very first question. I don't remember it well, but it was about the organelles not found in prokaryotic cells.

I selected "Nucleus and Chloroplast"
Reply 554
Original post by C94
Cool, because I put that too. It was the last question I did actually, and at first I thought there was no relationship. But then I noticed that the distribution values were jumbled up. Got there in the end.

For the very first question. I don't remember it well, but it was about the organelles not found in prokaryotic cells.

I selected "Nucleus and Chloroplast"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! :smile:
Reply 555
Original post by HQazi
Posted from TSR Mobile

So I was right to think no graph questions

Which question that? :redface: can't remember. Is it the one about moisture and light intensity?
If that's what you are talking about, I put more affected by moisture presence because I noticed if the moisture was less, the presence was low too

Yeah that question. Too my eyes it felt like that both were affected by the abiotic factors. I dunno :/
Reply 556
Original post by C94
Yeah that question. Too my eyes it felt like that both were affected by the abiotic factors. I dunno :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eh. I think I've got it wrong then :'(
Reply 557
Original post by C94

The question didnt ask what they were, it asked for you to suggest what they do...
You needed to say they aid in the translation and transcription of the viral RNA so new viruses could be replicated.
I doubt there will be any marks for naming enzymes!
Reply 558
2 questions- how many marks for 1st question on genetically identical- I thought 2 so only put cell division- mitosis- asexual reproduction... But now I'm doubting myself like every other question!
Also- for biotic factor- I put food availability?! WHYYY.. This can't be right can it?
Reply 559
Original post by blue21
That sounds like a pretty good answer, it was just suggest so I'm hoping if we talked about any part of the cell membrane we will get the mark, I started rambling on about the phospholipid bi layer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I talked about how it lowered the activation energy required to break the bonds between the phospholipids in the cell membrane... i sorta guessed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending