The Student Room Group

Alternative access to Adult Nursing degree

I want to apply for Adult Nursing Bsc degree, though I have enough points from A-levels to meet the entry requirements, they were awarded over 10 years ago and since 2001 I haven't been in education nor have I had any work experience relevant to nursing (I have had several jobs, but just admin and part-time) and I've been raising a family; now my children are in school I want to go back to school myself!

My understanding is that I need to complete some sort of further academic study as to get on the course I've had to have been in education in the last 5 years.

Is there any specific course you would recommend? Would I have to complete it first or could I do it alongside my degree?

TIA! :smile:
Might be worth contacting the universities directly and asking how they feel about you being out of education? If you have the grades I don't see why you would have to do another course. Might be worth getting some work experience under your belt as well though as I think that counts for a lot! However, many people go into nursing with only some relevant experience as they have worked in a non-relevant field but have shown the transferable skills they have in their personal statement. Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 2
Access to healthcare or access to nursing would probably be most appropriate for you. I got onto my course without any academic study for several years, but that was a few years ago now and it's more competitive getting on the course.
Reply 3
If you have good A Levels you probably don't need an access course.

Some unis accept applicants who take a module with the OU. You won't be able to take a nursing module, but something on science or children or general health may be appropriate.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone
Reply 4
Hi I start my adult nursing degree in Sept, my Uni runs a foundation year for students who need it, it's part of your degree and still funded by NHS, might be worth looking into
Reply 5
I know people who done the access to nursing course and they had to study for a year and a half as they work full time. I done the open universities K101 course- Introduction to health and social care. It starts in October and February and runs for 7 months, you study at home with the support of your tutor, you have to do alot of reading and write short essays, along with a few multiple choice tests on graph and chart reading, then you have an exam right at the end. I work full time and have managed to keep up and (so far) do well.
I love the k101 and am glad I done that instead of an access course as it is more flexible.
I have been given a conditional offer to study child nursing this September, so Universities do recognise the qualification, you just need to talk to the Uni's your thinking of applying to to make sure they do as some Uni's dont yet recognise it.
Hope this helps and good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks everyone, thankyou for all your replies! I'll let you know how I get on :smile:
Reply 7
Similar boat to you, I'm 31 with no previous experience. Had dead end part time jobs since school and have been a full time housewife to 5 kids.
I've applied for an access to nursing and midwifery course to start in September and want to begin an adult nursing degree in 2014.
I'm also banging out the applications for health care assistant posts(part time).
I've spoken to many people who say the access courses are a good entry route and I need to prepare myself and my brain for further study. I've heard they're tough going though but if you have a good support network then go for it! Best of luck to both of us :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im also looking to do the K101, just need to see if uni's will accept this even though i dont have a maths qualification, might be a problem
I work full time and I am a single mum... I am currently doing an access to nursing course via the distance learning centre. It is a lot of work and I have never been in any education since high school so was a bit of a shock, but the tutors are there to help and advise you throughout the modules. So far I am getting merits!! I have done caring work before my current job and I also volunteer as a responder for an ambulance service so really hoping this will be enough to secure a place for uni next year! Big changes and big worries for me but decided to bite the bullet and go for it!!! Good luck everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophiebroady
I work full time and I am a single mum... I am currently doing an access to nursing course via the distance learning centre. It is a lot of work and I have never been in any education since high school so was a bit of a shock, but the tutors are there to help and advise you throughout the modules. So far I am getting merits!! I have done caring work before my current job and I also volunteer as a responder for an ambulance service so really hoping this will be enough to secure a place for uni next year! Big changes and big worries for me but decided to bite the bullet and go for it!!! Good luck everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry i didnt see your message till now. Are you liking the DLC?
Yes it's going well! Very hard work but plodding along so far!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophiebroady
Yes it's going well! Very hard work but plodding along so far!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats great! Do you find they give you enough support when your finding something difficult? I should know wether im signing up with them soon!
It's a very independent thing. I do find it difficult at times but they can only guide you a little bit. It's hard because your not in a classroom with other people, but you will get the hang of it and its definitely worth doing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest