The Student Room Group

ocr a f325 revision thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3440
so I still don't get Q63) jan 2013??? someone help pls....
Reply 3441
Original post by AFC_123456789
Hey thanks for the reply. So it has cis-trans but NOT optical isomerism right?

And i mean does chloride donate lp to platinum. The 2N atoms obviously do but do the 2 chloride as well? Thanks man

Oh yeah, sorry, I meant 'no, it *doesn't have optical isomerism'. :s-smilie:

Oh right, yeah the chloride ions also donate one lone pair to the platinum each (all ligands must donate at least one lone pair to the central metal ion to be able to form the coordiante/dative covalent bond).
Reply 3442
Original post by Nuna

which question?
Original post by Brad0440
Oh yeah, sorry, I meant 'no, it *doesn't have optical isomerism'. :s-smilie:

Oh right, yeah the chloride ions also donate one lone pair to the platinum each (all ligands must donate at least one lone pair to the central metal ion to be able to form the coordiante/dative covalent bond).

No worries. So are there a total of 4 ligands in cis platin?
Original post by Nuna

I assume you mean question 6e) Basically you write out equations for both cr3+ and x, the x equation is x->x2+ +2e-

You combine the 2 equations and you get the mole ration. The you work out the moles of chronium by doing 1.456/52 to get 0.028. As the mole ratio is 3:2 the moles of X are 0.042.

You can then work out the mr by doing n=m/mr and you get the answer to be Mg :smile:
Reply 3445
No worries. So are there a total of 4 ligands in cis platin?

Yep, two NH3 and two Cl-.
Original post by eggfriedrice
In Jan 2013 q8) ci. There is no clear color change at the end point but why in the mark scheme talk about the colours at the START of the reaction?

MnO4- is purple and Vn+ is violet, however surely only the ending point colours would matter which are yellow and pale pink.

Because they#'e both purple it would be difficult to tell when the end point has been reached in the first place.

Think about it.

You're adding a purple solution to a purple solution and looking for an end-point which is a mix between pink and yellow. The colours are all too similar to make a clear distinction of an end point.

Hope that makes sense!
Original post by Brad0440
Yep, two NH3 and two Cl-.

You're a top guy! Good luck pal
Reply 3448
You're a top guy! Good luck pal

Thanks, you too!
Reply 3449
can someone tell me how to do June 12 q3 cii?
Original post by bill7202
can someone tell me how to do June 12 q3 cii?

Mg2+ has a smaller ionic radius and greater charge than Na+ (Remember when it comes to differences in charge you have to mention BOTH ionic radius and charge) Mg2+ has a greater charge density than Na+, Mg2+ as a greater attraction for water molecules than Na+.

Its like the same thing I write for all of these exams except the ions are different.
Reply 3451
Original post by beccac94
Mg2+ has a smaller ionic radius and greater charge than Na+ (Remember when it comes to differences in charge you have to mention BOTH ionic radius and charge) Mg2+ has a greater charge density than Na+, Mg2+ as a greater attraction for water molecules than Na+.

Its like the same thing I write for all of these exams except the ions are different.

i think you're looking at a different question, june 12 q3 cii is a buffer solution question
Original post by bill7202
i think you're looking at a different question, june 12 q3 cii is a buffer solution question

Ohhhhh I completely misread that question I thought it was Jan 13, I was still on an earlier comment :tongue:

Don't really feel like I needed to be negged for that though :/
I'm off now good luck everyone!!
Did this paper turn out to be a lot nicer than the Jan 13 paper?
Reply 3455
Original post by Mastermind2
Did this paper turn out to be a lot nicer than the Jan 13 paper?

Much easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

EDIT: Woah whats with the hate? Nobody can deny that it was so much easier than January's, that paper was horrible!
(edited 10 years ago)
How does everybody think it went? I thought it was challenging but I think I've done well!
Reply 3457
Original post by jess_m94
How does everybody think it went? I thought it was challenging but I think I've done well!

I thought it went really well, what did you (or anyone) get for the last part of the last question?
Reply 3458
Original post by jess_m94

Some questions were easy but the last question ... :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3459
I thought it went well ish, but I still found it a hard paper, if that makes sense. I'm not exactly jump up and down happy about the paper but I got through it. Easier than Jan 2013, harder than June 2012, imo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending