The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't think we particularly overpaid for Zaha, that's just what young English players cost nowadays. Navas does seem very cheap though, im guessing the home sickness thing played a part in the price.
Original post by Abiraleft
In terms of current ability? Really? :p: Not sure he has the potential to be far better than him either, tbh, Navas is a great little player (imo).

really, did you see Zaha for Palace last season? the guy looks really good and has amazing potential, Navas is okay, he's not a top player though imo, Zaha definitely has the potential to be a top player.
Reply 4982
Original post by SciFiRory
really, did you see Zaha for Palace last season? the guy looks really good and has amazing potential, Navas is okay, he's not a top player though imo, Zaha definitely has the potential to be a top player.

I did, yes. Have you seen Navas play for Sevilla over the last couple of seasons? You don't get 23 caps for the best international team in the world (which Spain have undoubtedly been over the last couple of years) without being a top player. :p: 71 assists in the last six seasons isn't anything to be scoffed at either. I'm not saying Zaha isn't good or that he doesn't have potential, but (i) you need to keep in mind that he was playing in the Championship, so you can't expect him to give that level of performance straight away in the Prem (he might do, but I wouldn't expect it) and (ii) I would definitely choose Navas over Zaha to play on the wings of my team at the moment. :yes:
Listen, English players have been overpriced for a very long time. We'll be a quarter-final country for a very, very long time.
Original post by DaveSmith99
I don't think we particularly overpaid for Zaha, that's just what young English players cost nowadays. Navas does seem very cheap though, im guessing the home sickness thing played a part in the price.

What difference does it make if City paid 15m or 150m for Navas? plastic teams dont operate on a budget
Zaha played in the championship for heavens sake how you compare that to navas
Original post by xDave-
Galatasaray chairman said that they offered £6m for Nani and it was rejected, with United asking for a mere £8.5m. Just think what he would've been worth a season ago or two. I'd rather keep him than sell for anything that low.
The problem isn't going to be the fee its going to be the wages, half a season of playing like a top player has convinced him deserved to be paid like kind of player all year round. He been wanting around 150k p/w which over a 4 year deal is £30m. So keeping him is going to cost us that plus the loss off the potential fee. If Moyes is moving away from wingers or simply doesn't have the faith SAF did it makes sense to ship him. We have all summer to bring in a replacement and have the wages to pay them.

As for Navas he's a good player, but a different prospect to Zaha could easily be. Zaha is 20 years old, he could easily play for us for a decade. Navas is going to be 28 in Nov. He's got a 4 year deal he was looking at 50k p/w at Sevilla, for someone who hates leaving the city limits something has dragged him out of the country entirely. I'd imagine he's on well north of £100k p/w, probably closer to Nasri money. All in all he's a far more expensive player than Zaha, when you consider more than just the fee. I would think even if Zaha doesn't flourish, he's going to be a solid midtable PL player, we are pretty much guaranteed to recoup at least half of what we paid if we were to move him on in a few years time.
Reply 4987
not really, I rate Zaha a lot higher than Navas, Zaha has the potential to be far better than him as well.

I hope zaha makes it but currently the two aren't comparable navas has played at a much higher level than zaha and has proved he can play with the best of them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4988
Original post by Abiraleft
I did, yes. Have you seen Navas play for Sevilla over the last couple of seasons? You don't get 23 caps for the best international team in the world (which Spain have undoubtedly been over the last couple of years) without being a top player. :p: 71 assists in the last six seasons isn't anything to be scoffed at either. I'm not saying Zaha isn't good or that he doesn't have potential, but (i) you need to keep in mind that he was playing in the Championship, so you can't expect him to give that level of performance straight away in the Prem (he might do, but I wouldn't expect it) and (ii) I would definitely choose Navas over Zaha to play on the wings of my team at the moment. :yes:

Thats my logic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4989
Every player at a young age has the potential to be great reading new reports about Walcott afew years ago would make you think he'd be the worlds best winger but look at him now very few players meet their max potential

I think we should have probably gone for navas he's proven already and as our wingers have been terrible we need quality in that position and zaha as good as he might be, probably won't be playing that much in the first team

Posted from TSR Mobile
De Gea had an excellent game today

Great save here

Original post by diggy
I hope zaha makes it but currently the two aren't comparable navas has played at a much higher level than zaha and has proved he can play with the best of them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah silly me, I forgot that Sevilla had won several La Liga titles and were often in the later stages of the Champions League.

oh wait...
ah silly me, I forgot that Sevilla had won several La Liga titles and were often in the later stages of the Champions League.

oh wait...

Because the championship=la liga doesn't it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was gonna say Zaha could become a great player but right now he isn't close to Navas.
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Because the championship=la liga doesn't it

Posted from TSR Mobile

my point was that to say Navas has proved himself at the highest level is clearly not even remotely true...wasn't commenting on Zaha who is a youngster and Imo can potentially play at the highest level.

Original post by Malevolent
Was gonna say Zaha could become a great player but right now he isn't close to Navas.

Navas I think is about on a par with Valencia (who we already have), so for United I would rather we sign Zaha than a player like one we already have.

Reply 4996
my point was that to say Navas has proved himself at the highest level is clearly not even remotely true...wasn't commenting on Zaha who is a youngster and Imo can potentially play at the highest level.

Navas I think is about on a par with Valencia (who we already have), so for United I would rather we sign Zaha than a player like one we already have.

Navas was in the Spanish side that won the world cup so obviously he must be good to get into a side that isn't exactly lacking in quality

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4997

And navas may not have proved himself at a top level as you argue but he's a lot nearer than zaha

Either way I hope zaha is worth it, I really do

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sport Witness on this whole thing

I like Sport Witness, it posts its own reliable info and thoughts as well as talking about and debunking other rumours.

Latest