The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I have uploaded a word document for "possible" Section A and B questions. Please note they may or may not come up - I have predicted what they could ask based on looking at past papers. Please don't rely on my predictions due to the fact the G543 exam in Jan and June 2013 didn't ask Stress, so don't solely revise the approaches
Reply 81
Original post by mkhan9035
Totally failing this exam! There's just far too much to remember and so little time! I don't even know what topics to miss out because as much as i'd like an approach/perspective to come up, they didn't ask stress twice on the G543 options paper and so i'm hella confused as to what approaches/issues/debates to revise :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's worse is that you cannot take risks anything can come up in this exam!! :frown:
Reply 82
Original post by aisha302
What's worse is that you cannot take risks anything can come up in this exam!! :frown:

I know :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emstewart
you can't use only AS studies, I think you'd lose marks and you'd want to appear as though you know your stuff from A2 as well.

I used only AS studies in G544 in January and walked out with 97/100. It is a synoptic paper therefore you can use anything you've learnt in AS and A2.
Reply 84
Original post by kelbel1
What do people think about just learning the approaches for Section B? Someone has said it on another thread in a previous year, but i'm not sure! x

I saw you in the G543 thread :P You're doing this exam too?

Anyway, I wouldn't risk it. Because that's what I banked on in the Jan exam - and exactly why I got a C >.<

Does anyone have any predictions as to what might come up for section A? And any tips for section A?
Can anyone recommend where to get similarities and differences information from for question D in part B of the paper?
Reply 86
Original post by Cryl
I saw you in the G543 thread :P You're doing this exam too?

Anyway, I wouldn't risk it. Because that's what I banked on in the Jan exam - and exactly why I got a C >.<

Does anyone have any predictions as to what might come up for section A? And any tips for section A?

self report hasnt come up since jan 2011 and correlation hasnt since jan 2012 but anything could come up as they have repeated some twice in a row before
Reply 87
Original post by em6789
self report hasnt come up since jan 2011 and correlation hasnt since jan 2012 but anything could come up as they have repeated some twice in a row before

O.o I hate both correlation and self-report. I hope they give us a simple lab experiment. :P
Reply 88
Original post by kayleigh_jude
I used only AS studies in G544 in January and walked out with 97/100. It is a synoptic paper therefore you can use anything you've learnt in AS and A2.

Do you have any of your revision material still that you could send me somehow? You did extremely well!
Original post by Robbo639
Do you have any of your revision material still that you could send me somehow? You did extremely well!

I've got revision material on Section B assumptions, S+W's and Sims+Diffs for Approaches only. If you message me your email I'll send you them.

Thanks, I think my marks was purely luck seeing as there was no Approaches in January yet its all I revised for.
Reply 90
I've got revision material on Section B assumptions, S+W's and Sims+Diffs for Approaches only. If you message me your email I'll send you them.

Thanks, I think my marks was purely luck seeing as there was no Approaches in January yet its all I revised for.

Hey, I think I e-mailed you this question but I can't remember now, how did you time this exam and how much detail did you go into? Because i'm trying to time myself and question b and c takes me 30 mins to complete and then similarities and differences takes me 10 mins and i always run out of time (and things to say) for question e, is there a way to get good marks and still complete it all in time?
Hey, I think I e-mailed you this question but I can't remember now, how did you time this exam and how much detail did you go into? Because i'm trying to time myself and question b and c takes me 30 mins to complete and then similarities and differences takes me 10 mins and i always run out of time (and things to say) for question e, is there a way to get good marks and still complete it all in time?

Im luckily a fast writer and had 10 minutes to spare at the end, but I knew people who write at an average speed and did it within the time.
How long do you take at Section A? Those questions can typically be answered quicker than a mark a minute, so the time spare you can use for Section B.
I was told to go into a stupid amount of information by tutors, but all I can say is put as much as you know in the time your given.
Reply 92
Im luckily a fast writer and had 10 minutes to spare at the end, but I knew people who write at an average speed and did it within the time.
How long do you take at Section A? Those questions can typically be answered quicker than a mark a minute, so the time spare you can use for Section B.
I was told to go into a stupid amount of information by tutors, but all I can say is put as much as you know in the time your given.

Thats brilliant thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow well done for 97/100 :eek:. Have you got any general tips? Would love an A* haha :p:p
Reply 94
If Experiments (Independent Measures Design) comes up in Section A and Individual Differences/Psychodynamic or Behaviourist Perspective comes up in Section B i'd jump for joy in the exam! Praying really hard for an approach *fingers crossed*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
If Experiments (Independent Measures Design) comes up in Section A and Individual Differences/Psychodynamic or Behaviourist Perspective comes up in Section B i'd jump for joy in the exam! Praying really hard for an approach *fingers crossed*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any A2 studies for independent measures or psychodynamic? I would really like an approaches part b too! I'm hoping that because they mixed it up in January they'll be less inclined to this time around, but who knows!
Reply 96
Original post by Robbo639
Do you have any A2 studies for independent measures or psychodynamic? I would really like an approaches part b too! I'm hoping that because they mixed it up in January they'll be less inclined to this time around, but who knows!

There are NO A2 studies for the psychodynamic perspective as only Thigpen and Cleckley and Freud use elements of it! And by independent measures design what do you mean? You'd never be asked 2 studies that used an independent measures design, you'd asked "describe 2 studies that used a lab experiment" or a "field experiment" or "quasi experiment" or compare the lab experiment with the self-report method etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Does anyone have any notes on comparing approaches that they could post please? I'm finding that the hardest!
Reply 98
anyone know ways to collect nominal, ordinal, interval and ratio data?? For nominal would it be yes or no q's?
Reply 99
Original post by em6789
Does anyone have any advice for section e questions in part b? in desperate need of help :confused:

The structure we were taught was point+study and then however-point+study. Then the same again.
So say the question's "discuss the usefulness of longitudinal research in psychology" you would have why it is useful (strength of longitudinal) + a study to back up your point. Then you would say "however longitudinal studies are not useful as..."( weakness of longitudinal) + a study to back up your point. Then do another strength and another weakness but make sure you always link it back to the issue (usefulness).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending