The Student Room Group

Post your unpopular opinions...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ornlu
I don't agree with this - I wouldn't be able to help you spell correctly :rolleyes: *genes

I'm a computer programmer... How good do you thing my spelling needs to be on an iPod?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sai4
2 of mine:

There isn't a single thing a woman can do that a man can't do better

Humans are not equal

Give birth?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LewisMead
You've listened to the charts version of rap it appears

I won't argue with that, gimme an artist then and I'll give some opinions (real opinions cos I'm a musician myself)

To anyone that's now read my last 2 posts... That's right! I'm a guitar playing computer programmer! XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 703
The House of Lords shouldn't be elected.

Ketchup tastes nice on toast, deal with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pendulum3
Lol, I said some, your probably about Drake and Lil Wayne or something, I'm talking about Old Eminem, Immortal Technique, it's about the struggles people go through, I find rap very useful as I can relate in some songs

I agree. Young Money and similar are garbage. But there are a lot of rap songs that are just genius - conceptually and technically. If you actually sit down and analyse the rhyme schemes and word play, say in Eminem's songs, it's actually crazy.
I despise football and wrestling more than anything in the world.
Reply 706
Original post by sma0712
I think the working classes have no right to complain about middle class snobbery towards them.

If they couldn't be bothered to get a good education then that's their fault isn't it.

I knew a teacher at high school who was homeless as a child, but she still managed to make it. There's no excuse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm from an area of poor socio-economic background and I clearly remember as a child thinking 'I can't bothered to go to the wonderful private school, I'll just go to my local one where class sizes are too large, discipline is an issue and there's never any funding for books' Oh no, wait!

What school you attend is largely governed by where you live. This means that if you live, for example, on a council estate, you will attend school with everybody else from the council estate. This simply concentrates the problems. My high school had barely any funding, far too many children with SENs, more trainee teachers than experienced ones and a 'sink hole' attitude that 'this is it, don't aspire, don't dream, because this is it'.

It's true that you can battle against it and make something of yourself (I'm a case in point), but it's also true that children are the product of their surroundings. If a child is only exposed to one strata of society, if all that child's friends are in similar situations, if that child's family are also from that part of society and if nobody is willing to push them to do more then of course there's a large chance they'll sink into mediocrity.

I sincerely hope that you don't have to experience the brunt of snobbery for yourself!

My unpopular opinion- Keira Knightly is just awful.
Reply 707
Original post by SatsumaBenji
I'm a computer programmer... How good do you thing my spelling needs to be on an iPod?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Considering it alters the meaning of your sentance, your spelling (or use of the right word) has to be comprehendible...
Reply 708
Original post by SatsumaBenji
Give birth?

Original post by LewisMead
Give birth?

^^Wizards

Yeah, you're right
The Dark Knight Rises was a pile of dung!
Reply 710
Original post by RyanAGTerry
And by this I'm assuming that you are middle class? Spoilt kid who doesn't know what it's like to be skint. Lol. It's not always about having a good education, and the fact that your parents are earning more than mine gives you no right to be snobby, there's a little thing called humility.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You devalue your own argument by calling him a spoiled kid.
I hate feminists
Original post by SarMed25
I'm from an area of poor socio-economic background and I clearly remember as a child thinking 'I can't bothered to go to the wonderful private school, I'll just go to my local one where class sizes are too large, discipline is an issue and there's never any funding for books' Oh no, wait!

What school you attend is largely governed by where you live. This means that if you live, for example, on a council estate, you will attend school with everybody else from the council estate. This simply concentrates the problems. My high school had barely any funding, far too many children with SENs, more trainee teachers than experienced ones and a 'sink hole' attitude that 'this is it, don't aspire, don't dream, because this is it'.

It's true that you can battle against it and make something of yourself (I'm a case in point), but it's also true that children are the product of their surroundings. If a child is only exposed to one strata of society, if all that child's friends are in similar situations, if that child's family are also from that part of society and if nobody is willing to push them to do more then of course there's a large chance they'll sink into mediocrity.

I sincerely hope that you don't have to experience the brunt of snobbery for yourself!

My unpopular opinion- Keira Knightly is just awful.

perhaps a good education is not necessarily a private school, there are good state schools?

also, there are a LOT of students that get bursaries...

I agree on that. Do you do psychology? You sound like you do... 'socio-economic background' and the hint of behaviourist and social psychology in your views in upbringing (i do it haha)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 713
I don't think Jennifer Lawrence is a particularly good actress nor do I think she deserved the oscar. (However, I love her quirky personality!)

I don't think Ryan Gosling or Channing Tatum or Gerrard Butler or Chris Hemsworth are good looking at all!!

I don't like big boobs or curves, I prefer a skinnier boyish figure.

I did not like Avatar at all.

Though a non-smoker I love the smell of other people smoking.

I thought Django unchained was overrated.
Reply 714
Original post by amcdschool
perhaps a good education is not necessarily a private school, there are good state schools?

also, there are a LOT of students that get bursaries...

I agree on that. Do you do psychology? You sound like you do... 'socio-economic background' and the hint of behaviourist and social psychology in your views in upbringing (i do it haha)

Ha ha, no I'm a Historian. I've just found that poor socio-economic background goes down better at dinner parties than saying 'I'm from the ghetto!'

There are indeed good state schools, however, I don't know of any good state school that is in the centre of a council housing estate. Good schools tend to be in good areas with higher house prices. If you can't afford to live in the catchment area you don't get to go. Hence keeping Britney and Ryley separate from Hugo and Anna, whether intentionally or not.
Original post by Lissprxs

People shouldn't look down on others simply for having an opinion, no matter how disgusting it seems, that is their belief

I detest people who think this.
Holding an opinion or belief is no excuse for being incorrect.
I was once told I couldn't tell a street preacher that he was wrong when he approached me claiming the world is only 10,000 years old and as I don't believe that is so, I will go to hell.
I'm sorry, I don't give a **** if that's your 'belief', or if your offended by me calling you out on it. If you are going to preach what can only be described as lies to me in the street, I will provide a rebuttal.

And at what point do we stop respecting this 'belief' nonsense?
A child died in the US recently because his parents 'believed' in faith healing. He had a treatable condition, in the end he died a slow death caused by dehydration.
Is that OK? No, any level headed person wouldn't think it is.

The word 'belief' is used far to often as an excuse for illogical thought, or plain and simple stupidity.
Original post by Ornlu
Considering it alters the meaning of your sentance, your spelling (or use of the right word) has to be comprehendible...

Sentence*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Iron Lady
You devalue your own argument by calling him a spoiled kid.

Not really, being upper-middle class doesn't necessarily mean you are spoilt. However, making a comment like that just shows that they obviously don't know what it's like to be hard up, and is making a sweeping generalisation that all lower class citizens are stupid and/or chavs. Obviously not the case considering that a lot of people who are lower class go to university every year. Besides, poor=/=uneducated, there are some very clever people who just aren't interested in money, and education doesn't always mean intelligent. It just annoys me when people think that they have a right to look to down on anybody because of their background.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 718
Not really, being upper-middle class doesn't necessarily mean you are spoilt. However, making a comment like that just shows that they obviously don't know what it's like to be hard up, and is making a sweeping generalisation that all lower class citizens are stupid and/or chavs. Obviously not the case considering that a lot of people who are lower class go to university every year. Besides, poor=/=uneducated, there are some very clever people who just aren't interested in money, and education doesn't always mean intelligent. It just annoys me when people think that they have a right to look to down on anybody because of their background.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I agree with you, looking down on someone because of their background is foolish because they could have been born to a less well-off family, instead of the family they're in now. But that also goes for other people saying middle class = spoiled (general, not directed to you).
Reply 719

:colondollar:
You sly b*****d

Quick Reply

Latest