The Student Room Group

AQA Economics Unit 4 11th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by venenecinema
You're right, just as long as people related membership of the EU to economic growth then that's what the question was asking.

So is it ok if I said leaving eu is better for economic growth and listed some point why

For inflation question I said people will import more due to high prices in the uk worsening the defecit BOP conflicting with the macroeconomic objective

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by qr95
So is it ok if I said leaving eu is better for economic growth and listed some point why

For inflation question I said people will import more due to high prices in the uk worsening the defecit BOP conflicting with the macroeconomic objective

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know about the inflation question because I didn't do it but yes, since the EU question was asking if the UK's membership in the EU was best for economic growth, they will award you marks for providing alternatives. I'm not sure why people think that this would be a bad answer, it's what the question wanted.
Original post by Cooke
Yeah i remember the question was what causes continued deficit on the trade account. I wrote about the incorrect valuation of the exchange rate, lack of productivity in the economy and economics such as, the UK who due to past structural declines now perform better on the services section of BOP. Despite having a deficit in the balance of goods.
I put that dunno if it's right hahahhaa. What did you put?

Sounds good,

I put high exchange rate, poor quality of goods and high cost of production compared to countries such as China

So yeah, I think what we wrote was pretty much the same.
Reply 843
Original post by newenglandpats
did exactly the same points:smile:

Me aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kelbel1
It is, yeah, so 62/80 raw marks

I'm sorry I keep asking you about this lol, would that be an A then?

Also what would an A* and a B be?
Reply 845
Original post by Parkway Drive
I'm sorry I keep asking you about this lol, would that be an A then?

Also what would an A* and a B be?

Haha, it's okay! Are you in the same boat as me then? I need 80/100 UMS in Unit 4 for an A*, because to get an A*, you need to average 90 UMS in A2. Then for an A, I needed 40/100 UMS, because then I would be on 320/400 overall which is an A out of the 4 units. And then for a B, well I didn't need to sit the exam because I already have 280/400 UMS (95+85+100), which is a B overall because it's 70% :colondollar: An A* is 90%, an A is 80% and a B is 70%, depending on grade boundaries etc xx
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kelbel1
Haha, it's okay! Are you in the same boat as me then? I need 80/100 UMS in Unit 4 for an A*, because to get an A*, you need to average 90 UMS in A2. Then for an A, I needed 40/100 UMS, because then I would be on 320/400 overall which is an A out of the 4 units. And then for a B, well I didn't need to sit the exam because I already have 280/400 UMS (95+85+100), which is a B overall because it's 70% :colondollar: An A* is 90%, an A is 80% and a B is 70%, depending on grade boundaries etc xx

I'm definitely not in the same boat as you haha.

My unit 3 was **** so... lol.

Hopefully, I got an A in unit 2, and hopefully I got a B in unit 4, which overall should give me a B which is all I need, and I'm happy with that to be honest.

And thank you! Good luck with your results x
Reply 847
Sounds good,

I put high exchange rate, poor quality of goods and high cost of production compared to countries such as China

So yeah, I think what we wrote was pretty much the same.

Did u do the EU context?

If so what did u put for the 45 marker?
Original post by Cooke
Did u do the EU context?

If so what did u put for the 45 marker?

I can't remember for the first one, just said something about how overall for EU only year forecasted negative growth was 2012 at -0.1%. I'm pretty sure I did the calculation wrong, even though I took A level maths haha. I'm so stupid for doing that, I took away rather than added it, since it was still a percentage increase of 3%... I realised after and I was like O_o

the second one I put a point about cause of unemployment, can't remember what it was, something about cyclical unemp, but my second point was kinda similar, so I'm not sure whether I'll get great marks on that one. Also I drew the graph that shows the cycle.

The 25 marker, I can't really remember.

Talked about trade creation with EU members, no tariff, cheaper.
Also, not all EU members doing badly.

But other countries may offer better trade e.g BRIC...
Also, the few countries doing well in EU might be saturated markets as in everyone is trying to trade with them...
Also, EU too fixated on inflation and its fiscal policy, which is holding back growth.

Conclusion was that the UK should continue trade with EU since it is major trading partner and it will recover eventually, but it should also begin to make trade links with Africa, Latin American, BRIC economies to reduce dependence and negative external shocks in the future.

It was something like that, not great to be honest, a bit muddled lol.

I was so bummed, I should've brought in trade on the basis of comparative advantage and stuff like that. I'm such a mug. Ahh well.

How about you, what did you put?
Reply 849
I can't remember for the first one, just said something about how overall for EU only year forecasted negative growth was 2012 at -0.1%. I'm pretty sure I did the calculation wrong, even though I took A level maths haha. I'm so stupid for doing that, I took away rather than added it, since it was still a percentage increase of 3%... I realised after and I was like O_o

the second one I put a point about cause of unemployment, can't remember what it was, something about cyclical unemp, but my second point was kinda similar, so I'm not sure whether I'll get great marks on that one. Also I drew the graph that shows the cycle.

The 25 marker, I can't really remember.

Talked about trade creation with EU members, no tariff, cheaper.
Also, not all EU members doing badly.

But other countries may offer better trade e.g BRIC...
Also, the few countries doing well in EU might be saturated markets as in everyone is trying to trade with them...
Also, EU too fixated on inflation and its fiscal policy, which is holding back growth.

Conclusion was that the UK should continue trade with EU since it is major trading partner and it will recover eventually, but it should also begin to make trade links with Africa, Latin American, BRIC economies to reduce dependence and negative external shocks in the future.

It was something like that, not great to be honest, a bit muddled lol.

I was so bummed, I should've brought in trade on the basis of comparative advantage and stuff like that. I'm such a mug. Ahh well.

How about you, what did you put?

I wouldn't worry you seem as though u covered a lot of important points.

For the first question I got that wrong completely screwed up the calculation.

The 10 marker i put the demand + supply side causes of unemployment and some other stuff i can't remember lol

the 25 marker i said that the UK can solely rely on the EU it need s to trade with Brazil, India, China etc. and sort out the fiscal and supply side policy aspect in order to guarantee growth. I did mention trade on the basis of comparative adv but i dont' feel as that was a major point in the answer
Reply 850
I'm definitely not in the same boat as you haha.

My unit 3 was **** so... lol.

Hopefully, I got an A in unit 2, and hopefully I got a B in unit 4, which overall should give me a B which is all I need, and I'm happy with that to be honest.

And thank you! Good luck with your results x

Thank you! Well done on those results, all the best of luck with your results chick :smile: xx
Original post by kelbel1
Thank you! Well done on those results, all the best of luck with your results chick :smile: xx

Chick? I'm a boy lol, haha =] x
Reply 852
What page is the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 853
Original post by qr95
Which question was this

Posted from TSR Mobile

think it was the two causes of recession , the 10 marker context B?
Reply 854
Context was good,but didn't like the essays.

For the context about the EU being the best way to get growth, I split it into BRICs, EU and Fiscal policy, weighed up the advantages and disadvantages of achieving growth then concluded which I thought would be best for achieving growth.
2575bn FTW!
Reply 856
Original post by legendaryy
2575bn FTW!

Hahah, agreed :wink:
Original post by kelbel1
Hahah, agreed :wink:

what question is that for??
Reply 858
Original post by gingerandice
what question is that for??

Context 2, the 5 mark?
Original post by kelbel1
Context 2, the 5 mark?

awe thank god, you scared me there! I did context 1.. almost in the same boat as you, I need 82ums for an a* but I didn't do so much revision for the paper as I needed to focus on sciences . Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending