The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1360
Original post by Zzzyax
Can someone take a look at an interesting question 4b)ii) from Jan 12 F324

QP http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/79471-question-paper-unit-f324-rings-polymers-and-analysis.pdf

MS http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/61007-mark-scheme-unit-f324-rings-polymers-and-analysis-january.pdf

The question is about Gas chromatography, there's a liquid alkane stationary phase, a sample which has been contaminated with an alcohol and alkane, question is suggest how these would be seperated.

Perhaps someone can explain the answer below. Guessing: Is it because alcohols or more soluble componds turn to gas easier/quicker. or because since the alcohol has -OH groups it dissolves more in the carrier gas, travels faster. is it because the alkane and the liquid alkane stationary phase form van der waals forces between themselves which slows the alkane down, even though the alkane is a gas it can still form van der waals forces? you can see how confused i am. but i got 144/150 in jan f325. Please can everyone give there ideas about this question

Alcohol would have short retention time
AND
alkane would have long retention time

Transesterification is the process in which Biodiesel and Glycerol are formed from a Trigylceride and an alcohol such as Methanol or Ethanol when reacted with a H2SO4 catalyst.

I haven't done this paper so I just scrolled through quickly to see the question you were on about.

In chromatography in general you have a stationary phase and mobile phase. The sample is carried by the mobile phase, and it is slowed by the stationary phase.

In GC, the mobile phase is the inert gas H2 (g). This carries the components of the sample when they are in gaseous form. Therefore the more volatile a component is the shorter its retention time as it spends less time in the other form; dissolved into the stationary phase. Which in this case is a liquid supported on a solid. Ie the long chain alkane with a high boiling point coated (and therefore supported) on the inside of the capillary tube. When a component is not in its gaseous phase and moving through the column it is dissolved into the stationary phase due to its solubility.

Now, as the stationary phase is a long chain alkane, it cannot form hydrogen bonds, as it is not polar. This means -OH bonds are irrelevant in this case. It can only form VDW forces. The relevance of this is the principle; "Like dissolve like". A polar molecule such as H2O will dissolve another polar molecule such as an alcohol. A polar molecule such as H2O cannot dissolve a non polar molecule such as a long chain alkane.
Alternatively a long chain alkane cannot dissolve a polar molecule to the same extent it can dissolve a non polar molecule such as itself.

With this in mind we can say the alkane in the sample will have the strongest affinity for the stationary phase so have the shortest retention time as it will be slowed down the most/spend the most time dissolved into the stationary phase.

Next up lets look at the two esters, they are long molecules so their polar regions do not have as much significance as in the alcohol. These will have a retention time somewhere between the alcohol and the alkane. If you would like me to explain this more please ask.

Finally the alcohol is the most polar structure out of the 4 organic compounds, this causes it to have the least amount of interaction with the stationary phase so it will spend most of its time as a gas. Therefore it should have the shortest retention time.

This is my understanding of the question, if the MS says something different let me know. As I said I don't want to look at it as I need to do this paper to assess my ability and I'd rather not have cheated, thanks. :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1361
Original post by Mus1995
Transesterification is the process in which Biodiesel and Glycerol are formed from a Trigylceride and an alcohol such as Methanol or Ethanol when reacted with a H2SO4 catalyst.

I haven't done this paper so I just scrolled through quickly to see the question you were on about.

In chromatography in general you have a stationary phase and mobile phase. The sample is carried by the mobile phase, and it is slowed by the stationary phase.

In GC, the mobile phase is the inert gas H2 (g). This carries the components of the sample when they are in gaseous form. Therefore the more volatile a component is the shorter its retention time as it spends less time in the other form; dissolved into the stationary phase. Which in this case is a liquid supported on a solid. Ie the long chain alkane with a high boiling point coated (and therefore supported) on the inside of the capillary tube. When a component is not in its gaseous phase and moving through the column it is dissolved into the stationary phase due to its solubility.

Now, as the stationary phase is a long chain alkane, it cannot form hydrogen bonds, as it is not polar. This means -OH bonds are irrelevant in this case. It can only form VDW forces. The relevance of this is the principle; "Like dissolve like". A polar molecule such as H2O will dissolve another polar molecule such as an alcohol. A polar molecule such as H2O cannot dissolve a non polar molecule such as a long chain alkane.
Alternatively a long chain alkane cannot dissolve a polar molecule to the same extent it can dissolve a non polar molecule such as itself.

With this in mind we can say the alkane in the sample will have the strongest affinity for the stationary phase so have the shortest retention time as it will be slowed down the most/spend the most time dissolved into the stationary phase.

Next up lets look at the two esters, they are long molecules so their polar regions do not have as much significance as in the alcohol. These will have a retention time somewhere between the alcohol and the alkane. If you would like me to explain this more please ask.

Finally the alcohol is the most polar structure out of the 4 organic compounds, this causes it to have the least amount of interaction with the stationary phase so it will spend most of its time as a gas. Therefore it should have the shortest retention time.

This is my understanding of the question, if the MS says something different let me know. As I said I don't want to look at it as I need to do this paper to assess my ability and I'd rather not have cheated, thanks. :P

Great answer, thanks alot:smile:
Original post by Mus1995

good answer. Have some tasty and nutritious rep :smile:
hello, just wondering if anyone has the January 2013 past paper for f324 or knows where i can get it? thanks :smile:
Biology's out the way, so now I can do more of the best subject! :biggrin: It's good to get back to Chemistry revision. I gave it a bit of a break for a couple of days, now it's just Chemistry and Maths/Further Maths left so I can concentrate and hopefully nail it :smile:
Reply 1365
Original post by Zzzyax
Great answer, thanks alot:smile:

Original post by Plato's Trousers
good answer. Have some tasty and nutritious rep :smile:

Thanks. :smile:

Original post by elliebennett
hello, just wondering if anyone has the January 2013 past paper for f324 or knows where i can get it? thanks :smile:

Here are all the F324 papers. https://mega.co.nz/#!3dsFgShT!ddcKyDuIjJhFai9EphZktkNaQDpNG9yvPMW9dIyVk4Q
If anyone's done the January 2013 paper, what did your think of it? :smile:
Reply 1367
Original post by sals1234

I did it about a month ago as my Chemistry mock. I was no where near prepared for this exam as I am now, it was my first paper. Got 49/60 (highest in the school). 51 for an A. 55 for the A*. Very high, very tricky. Accuracy was key. I messed up on little things like EZ isomerism and not drawing repeat polymers properly.

Currently studying for S3 on Thursday. C4 Tuesday. Chemistry Wednesday. Then on the Monday afterwards I have FP3 and I'm done. :smile:
Reply 1368

Did it as a mock, I thought it was mostly straightforward but I hadn't revised so lost quite a few marks and got 51, aiming for the A* though and I feel a lot more prepared now

Posted from TSR Mobile
do we need to know anything on the amide functional groups or the acyl chlorides? my teacher mentioned them but I haven't come across them in any book!

can someone please summarise the reactions we need to know?

thank you so much! :smile: :smile:
Reply 1370
do we need to know anything on the amide functional groups or the acyl chlorides? my teacher mentioned them but I haven't come across them in any book!

can someone please summarise the reactions we need to know?

thank you so much! :smile: :smile:

When amino acids undergo condensation polymerisation they form long chain molecules connected my amide (peptide) bonds. These molecules are called polyamides.
Don't worry about acyl chlorides I don't think they are on the spec. Acid anhydrides are you may want to practice them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mus1995
When amino acids undergo condensation polymerisation they form long chain molecules connected my amide (peptide) bonds. These molecules are called polyamides.
Don't worry about acyl chlorides I don't think they are on the spec. Acid anhydrides are you may want to practice them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
does anyone have the 2013 paper ?
Reply 1373
Original post by ADAOBI123
does anyone have the 2013 paper ?

Read the thread I've posted all the papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1374
When describing phenol, is it okay to refer to the -OH as a hydroxyl group? Ie Phenol is a benzene molecule where one of the Carbon atoms is bonded to a hydroxyl group.
Reply 1375
Original post by Mus1995
When describing phenol, is it okay to refer to the -OH as a hydroxyl group? Ie Phenol is a benzene molecule where one of the Carbon atoms is bonded to a hydroxyl group.

Yes, that's what the book says anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1376
Original post by D4rth
Yes, that's what the book says anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool. I just did June 2011. 53/60, 44 was an A. Harshly marked. :P some tips:

When forming Azo dyes, if the temperature goes above 10 degrees Celsius when you have the diazonium ion; it reacts with water to form phenol.

C6H5N2+ + H2O ---> C6H5OH + N2 (g) + H+ (aq)

I wasn't sure so put H+ or 1/2 H2 (g). So didn't credit myself for the mark.

Artificial sugars that were used a few years ago have been removed as they had side effects.

Cosmetic products are tested before production to test if they cause side effects.

Condensation polymerisation is where monomers join together forming a polymer and a small molecule such as H2O.

I think that was about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1377
Original post by Mus1995
Cool. I just did June 2011. 53/60, 44 was an A. Harshly marked. :P some tips:

When forming Azo dyes, if the temperature goes above 10 degrees Celsius when you have the diazonium ion; it reacts with water to form phenol.

C6H5N2+ + H2O ---> C6H5OH + N2 (g) + H+ (aq)

I wasn't sure so put H+ or 1/2 H2 (g). So didn't credit myself for the mark.

Artificial sugars that were used a few years ago have been removed as they had side effects.

Cosmetic products are tested before production to test if they cause side effects.

Condensation polymerisation is where monomers join together forming a polymer and a small molecule such as H2O.

I think that was about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just did that too, got 59, tried to mark it as honestly as I could, I don't see the point in easy marking.

Messed up on the hydrogen bonding question as I didn't say it had an extra OH group, never know what to put for these questions.

Most of it was good, nice to see I'm heading in the right direction as I want that A* so bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just done June 2011 as well, got 50/60 which isn't too bad for me. But for the diazonium ion question, if you for the equation wrote it as C6H5N2+CL- and you'd get HCL as a product. Would i get the benefit of the doubt or would i lose the mark for including the cl?
Also, can anyone explain Chromatography to me please? :frown:
Teacher litterally just flicked through the booklet and looking at past papers there seems to be a decent amount of marks on it....

Latest

Trending

Trending