The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Chemistry C4C5C6 - 13/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
:lol: fair enough, but the book has mistakes too :h:

then...quite bluntly...we're all f***ed :L -but surely they'll realise if EVERYONE puts a the same wrong equation :P
Original post by benwalters1996
then...quite bluntly...we're all f***ed :L -but surely they'll realise if EVERYONE puts a the same wrong equation :P

:lol: oh well... :colonhash:
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Well, believe it or not, but I was told that they were both correct! :tongue:

My revision guide says:
negative electrode: 2H2-->4H+ +4e-
positive electrode: 4H+ +4e- +O2-->2H2O

But apparently the different equations are different because they give you the reactions from a different perspective- e.g. your revision guide's reactions may be from positive to negative electrode whilst mine's could be from the negative to positive electrode. I'm not sure how this affects the equations though but this was what I was told. If I were you, I would learn the equations in your revision guide since there's a chance the specimen is wrong :cool:

This is the way that it describes it in my revision guide. I have the Collins one
Reply 323
Oh dear, in C4 CGP says that you test for halide ions with silver nitrate, but in C5 it says to do it with lead nitrate...
So what does everyone predict will be the 6-markers for the test tomorrow?
Reply 325
Original post by andersson
Oh dear, in C4 CGP says that you test for halide ions with silver nitrate, but in C5 it says to do it with lead nitrate...

My Chemistry teacher said you can use either.

Silver bromide and lead bromide for example are both insoluble. And it's the bromide that gives whichever colour.
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Well, believe it or not, but I was told that they were both correct! :tongue:

My revision guide says:
negative electrode: 2H2-->4H+ +4e-
positive electrode: 4H+ +4e- +O2-->2H2O

But apparently the different equations are different because they give you the reactions from a different perspective- e.g. your revision guide's reactions may be from positive to negative electrode whilst mine's could be from the negative to positive electrode. I'm not sure how this affects the equations though but this was what I was told. If I were you, I would learn the equations in your revision guide since there's a chance the specimen is wrong :cool:

so basically there are loads of different answers, great! the specimen (if it was correct) should of taken that into account! It's really worrying since I literally spent ages drilling those equations into my head :L
Reply 328
Original post by sunshinebeem
So what does everyone predict will be the 6-markers for the test tomorrow?

It is hard to say considering we are the first to sit the exam, however my teacher said if he was an examiner he would chose:
C4 - ionic and covalent bonding and have to draw one
C5 - a titre equation and working out concentrations
C6 - ozone layer and chlorine radicals etc
Please can somebody explain to me about CFCs and their effect on the ozone layer and also how they break down by UV radiation as I don't understand that whole page of the bok:s-smilie:
Original post by dazzer19
It is hard to say considering we are the first to sit the exam, however my teacher said if he was an examiner he would chose:
C4 - ionic and covalent bonding and have to draw one
C5 - a titre equation and working out concentrations
C6 - ozone layer and chlorine radicals etc

I would love it to be those three. I'm just so nervous for this exam, I can't get any of the equations stuck into my head:mad:

Pretty sure you can use either, that's what I've been taught
Reply 332
Original post by Red Fox
My Chemistry teacher said you can use either.

Silver bromide and lead bromide for example are both insoluble. And it's the bromide that gives whichever colour.

Original post by Puffin111

Pretty sure you can use either, that's what I've been taught

Yeah you're most likely right, it's strange that they don't make things more simple to remember by only mentioning one, though.
Reply 333
Finished C5, do you guys think it's possible to do a whole module (C6) in 3-4 hours? :s-smilie:
Yeah you're most likely right, it's strange that they don't make things more simple to remember by only mentioning one, though.

Yeah just mentioning one, or mentioning them all on one page at the same time so it is easier to understand
Original post by NatashaG
so basically there are loads of different answers, great! the specimen (if it was correct) should of taken that into account! It's really worrying since I literally spent ages drilling those equations into my head :L

True, but nobody's actually say the specimen exam and its initial purpose was to provide schools with an idea on how the exam would be set out...in our exam, they probably will take into account the different answers (although my chemistry teacher emailed OCR regarding this and they said it doesn't matter apparently)... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finished C5, do you guys think it's possible to do a whole module (C6) in 3-4 hours? :s-smilie:

Easily. I did it in way less than 20 minutes :lol:
anybody have the jan 2013 c4,c5, c6 paper???

cheers tazza

real quick you guys enjoying revision???? hang on silly question.
Reply 338
Easily. I did it in way less than 20 minutes :lol:

Haha, I mean like perfected! Not just skimmed over :tongue:

I don't know, personally I found C6 the hardest and it took me the most time to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest