The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1640
Damn it, been on silver for a while. Tried making words out of all the letters but no success. Same with the units for each of the letters.
gnrkphCE?
gnRkBCJ?
Am I even close lol
Reply 1641
Original post by Smidge
Damn it, been on silver for a while. Tried making words out of all the letters but no success. Same with the units for each of the letters.
gnrkphCE?
gnRkBCJ?
Am I even close lol

The first one is close.
Think about about charge equals.the letters 2-4 are wrong.everyhing else is right.
Reply 1642
Original post by Ripple Effect
Isn't the formula for Gold

Spoiler

All the units except Pa cancel out, yet I can't seem to get the right answer..

I believe you have the wrong equation.
The equation you require is Van der Waals equation
Reply 1643
Original post by Smidge
gnrkphCE?
gnRkBCJ?
Am I even close lol

gnrkphCE
Reply 1644
The red indicates the errors
Original post by mu142857
gnrkphCE

Are they all constants?
No. Wait, are they to do with gas, energy, RTP, standard conditions? I'm just throwing words out now lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Silverland
Seriously, the best thing to do is ignore the random beehive. If I ever get into Cambridge I'm going to ask Mr Keeler just how exactly that has anything at all to do with the question :/

The beehive most likely represents a "spelling bee"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CurtisDean
The beehive most likely represents a "spelling bee"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. After dwelling over it for 6 months and losing a lot of sleep, we did eventually establish that
Reply 1649
Original post by CurtisDean
Are they all constants?
No. Wait, are they to do with gas, energy, RTP, standard conditions? I'm just throwing words out now lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, they aren't constants and they are not the units either. It therefore cannot be C.

Think about what each of them equals. You've already found these:

(H-TS)=G
-log(H+)=pH
mc^2=E

Q is assosciated with charge yes, but it's not supposed to be its' units. How do you calculate Q?

Spoiler

N shouldn't even be in there, don't know where you've gotten that from. As for K, you've incorrectly re-arranged the Arrhenius Equation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Doppel
No, they aren't constants and they are not the units either. It therefore cannot be C.

Think about what each of them equals. You've already found these:

(H-TS)=G
-log(H+)=pH
mc^2=E

Q is assosciated with charge yes, but it's not supposed to be its' units. How do you calculate Q?

Spoiler

N shouldn't even be in there, don't know where you've gotten that from. As for K, you've incorrectly re-arranged the Arrhenius Equation.

Thanks for the help, although I am not sure if the entire response was directed at me; as I was wondering how the user got N also. I guessed that maybe they thought that since Na is avogadro's constant, the letter might be n to represent amount of substance

Thanks again though - I'm going to have a look at the question again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know if there is a thread about the written Cambridge chemistry challenge for Y12?

I have searched but can't find anything :/

Thanks!
Anyone doing the actual paper next week?
Reply 1653
Original post by Davelittle
Anyone doing the actual paper next week?

Yh next Thursday ...have you done any revision for it? I can't really as I'm focusing on c3/c4
Original post by ltigers
Yh next Thursday ...have you done any revision for it? I can't really as I'm focusing on c3/c4

I'm doing the 2 past papers, what specifically are you revising?
Does anyone know any websites to increase knowledge or help in the questions?
Original post by chuckynoriss
Does anyone know any websites to increase knowledge or help in the questions?

Chemguide is great for a-level. Some of the more advanced stuff I usually try wikipedia.
Original post by PythianLegume
Chemguide is great for a-level. Some of the more advanced stuff I usually try wikipedia.

Thank you I know they are stretching AS knowledge but are there any specific areas or common topics they like to pick up on. I understand its not like normal past papers, but are there any specific areas I could look into in more detail.
Original post by chuckynoriss
Thank you I know they are stretching AS knowledge but are there any specific areas or common topics they like to pick up on. I understand its not like normal past papers, but are there any specific areas I could look into in more detail.

Nah. I did it last year (gold :biggrin: ) and you just need to know AS chemistry like the back of your hand.
Original post by PythianLegume
Nah. I did it last year (gold :biggrin: ) and you just need to know AS chemistry like the back of your hand.

Thank you, well done on the gold.

Quick Reply

Latest