The Student Room Group

19th JUNE EDEXCEL HISTORY 3A - War and transformation of British Society 1903-1928

Any ideas on what will come up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by emers1
Any ideas on what will come up?

Only just started looking at this after the Germany exam on Monday. My bet's on suffragettes - how about you?
Reply 2
I know my question doesn't really have that much to do with this, but for history are the grade boundaries fixed.
Like:
90% A*
80% A etc etc

It seems as though Edexcel is keeping the grade boundaries for history the same for every paper, which is seriously unfair.

But does anyone know if it's for sure for or do you think Edexcel will change the boundaries according to how students perform this year?
Reply 3
My teacher always gives them at 90% A* but I am not sure if that is just setting the grade boundaries at maximum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
What came up in January this year, does anyone know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by CD223
What came up in January this year, does anyone know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Battle of the Somme, new weaponry, tanks, artillery etc. so basically that rules out most of key topic 2 as there has already been one on the beginning of the war too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by emers1
The Battle of the Somme, new weaponry, tanks, artillery etc. so basically that rules out most of key topic 2 as there has already been one on the beginning of the war too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! All seems to be pointing to suffragettes!
Reply 7
Original post by CD223
Only just started looking at this after the Germany exam on Monday. My bet's on suffragettes - how about you?

Suffragettes, labour exchanges/national insurance, DORA, maybe changing role of women? Perhaps the end of the war but i doubt it because the january paper was key topic 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by emers1
Suffragettes, labour exchanges/national insurance, DORA, maybe changing role of women? Perhaps the end of the war but i doubt it because the january paper was key topic 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate to be a pain, but could you help me in working out how to structure my answers for each question please? I mean what should be said, how many paragraphs, when to use own knowledge etc. because I'm really unsure of where to use what I've learnt :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by skizzle
I know my question doesn't really have that much to do with this, but for history are the grade boundaries fixed.
Like:
90% A*
80% A etc etc

It seems as though Edexcel is keeping the grade boundaries for history the same for every paper, which is seriously unfair.

But does anyone know if it's for sure for or do you think Edexcel will change the boundaries according to how students perform this year?

I've looked into this more and the UMS boundary is fixed. However the UMS conversion is different each sitting of the exam.

Jan 2013 49/54 = 90 UMS = A*
45/54 = 80 UMS = A
June 2012 43/50 = 90 UMS = A*
39/50 = 80 UMS = A

Basically you have to get 360 UMS over the 4 units for an A*, 320 for an A

Obviously you don't know the controlled assessment UMS but the other units you should know your UMS so you should be able to work out roughly what more you need to get the desired grade if you just take the controlled assessment % to UMS. UMS usually brings the percentage up so hopefully this is the maximum you have to achieve.

e.g. if you get 86 UMS in Unit 1, 90 in Unit 2 and an average of 85% in the controlled assessment then your predicted total is 261. You'd need 99 UMS to get an A* and only 59 for an A.

I hope this clears things up:smile:
Reply 10
Another question: does anyone know where to get the sources for past papers from? On the edexcel website I can only find mark schemes and question papers.
Reply 11
Original post by emers1
I've looked into this more and the UMS boundary is fixed. However the UMS conversion is different each sitting of the exam.

Jan 2013 49/54 = 90 UMS = A*
45/54 = 80 UMS = A
June 2012 43/50 = 90 UMS = A*
39/50 = 80 UMS = A

Basically you have to get 360 UMS over the 4 units for an A*, 320 for an A

Obviously you don't know the controlled assessment UMS but the other units you should know your UMS so you should be able to work out roughly what more you need to get the desired grade if you just take the controlled assessment % to UMS. UMS usually brings the percentage up so hopefully this is the maximum you have to achieve.

e.g. if you get 86 UMS in Unit 1, 90 in Unit 2 and an average of 85% in the controlled assessment then your predicted total is 261. You'd need 99 UMS to get an A* and only 59 for an A.

I hope this clears things up:smile:

Thanks!

I'm slightly confused though.

unit 1: i think i got 54/60 which was an A*
unit 2: paper was out of 50- the results sheet said 80/100 (A)
unit 4: 42/50 (A)

I was told that even if I got a C unit 3 I'd get an A, but I would not be able to get an A* even if I got 100%. Looking at the raw to ums conversation chart it seems like it is possible. I don't know if I'm looking at it differently or maybe they take percentages so like unit one was 94% so as it was over 90% it was A*.
Really wanted to get that A* but now I'm just confused and a bit put off.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Hi!
On paper 1 i got 91 -A*
Paper 2 80 -A
Coursework i got 45/50

Can someone tell me what i need on paper 3 for an A* overall if thats possible and if not, then for an A?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by rj97
Hi!
On paper 1 i got 91 -A*
Paper 2 80 -A
Coursework i got 45/50

Can someone tell me what i need on paper 3 for an A* overall if thats possible and if not, then for an A?

This isnt definite because they havent released the conversions for the coursework but you need to get full marks to get an A* (have fun!:smile:) and about 60% for an A, these are maximum though as ums can bring the mark up:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by skizzle
Thanks!

I'm slightly confused though.

unit 1: i think i got 54/60 which was an A*
unit 2: paper was out of 50- the results sheet said 80/100 (A)
unit 4: 42/50 (A)

I was told that even if I got a C unit 3 I'd get an A, but I would not be able to get an A* even if I got 100%. Looking at the raw to ums conversation chart it seems like it is possible. I don't know if I'm looking at it differently or maybe they take percentages so like unit one was 94% so as it was over 90% it was A*.
Really wanted to get that A* but now I'm just confused and a bit put off.

It depends if the ums convesrion brings your unit 4 up, if it remains the same you need to get 102% though... To get an A you need 62% i think
Reply 15
Has anyone got any good revision notes or resources they would be happy to share?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emers1
This isnt definite because they havent released the conversions for the coursework but you need to get full marks to get an A* (have fun!:smile:) and about 60% for an A, these are maximum though as ums can bring the mark up:smile:

Original post by emers1
It depends if the ums convesrion brings your unit 4 up, if it remains the same you need to get 102% though... To get an A you need 62% i think

Unit 1: An A..can't remember the exact mark...48 i believe?
Unit 2: An A, the results sheet said 82/100
Unit 4: 48/50

how many marks would i need to get an A* overall?
Reply 17
Any last minute predictions on the topic that tomorrow will bring?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Any last minute predictions on the topic that tomorrow will bring?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally i think the General Strike.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by benwalters1996
Personally i think the General Strike.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The general strike has come up before

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending