The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Geography unit 4B 2013 June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Baldwin94
For the spearman's rank between figure P3 and figure P4

for P3 and P4 I got 0.304
Original post by EloiseB
For this, it shows the correlation between the size of the seismic event and the quantity of the seismic events, and the anomalies. The anomalies tend to be the big events; Darfield earthquake, Christchurch (both in Feb and June) where the amount of joules released is very high (insert figures here) and the quantity of quakes is relatively low. There is then a subsequent increase in the quantity of quakes with a high amount of joules released overall which then proceeds to gradually decrease over time, suggesting that the amount of aftershocks decreased as time progresses from the original event.

Examples from the graph: Big earthquake on the 4th Sept (Darfield) with one big event and several smaller quakes with total energy release of around 200TJ, whilst the day after, it sees a massive spike in shocks to around 71 quakes with a smaller energy release of around 11.2TJ. (I can't see the lines properly on my print out so these are only rough guides).

You also need to be able to explain what a logorithmic graph shows (and determine relative joules measurements) and also the advantages and disadvantages of a semi-log graph.

THANKYOU SO MUCH! Youre honestly helping me so so much! So grateful!!
Reply 82
Original post by EloiseB
Holy moly. T

here are some quite different results here. Is that for Spearman's? I have to admit I didn't do mine myself, it was done by my geography teacher..

I got -0.36 for P1 and P2
P3 and P4 I got 0.304
Reply 83
Original post by gooby
I got -0.36 for P1 and P2
P3 and P4 I got 0.304

got -0.15 for p1 - p2

and 0.317 for p3 - p4

roughly same xD
Reply 84
[INDENT] For either of the earthquakes (Darfield or Christchurch) how were they prepared?[/INDENT]
Original post by EloiseB
For this, it shows the correlation between the size of the seismic event and the quantity of the seismic events, and the anomalies. The anomalies tend to be the big events; Darfield earthquake, Christchurch (both in Feb and June) where the amount of joules released is very high (insert figures here) and the quantity of quakes is relatively low. There is then a subsequent increase in the quantity of quakes with a high amount of joules released overall which then proceeds to gradually decrease over time, suggesting that the amount of aftershocks decreased as time progresses from the original event.

Examples from the graph: Big earthquake on the 4th Sept (Darfield) with one big event and several smaller quakes with total energy release of around 200TJ, whilst the day after, it sees a massive spike in shocks to around 71 quakes with a smaller energy release of around 11.2TJ. (I can't see the lines properly on my print out so these are only rough guides).

You also need to be able to explain what a logorithmic graph shows (and determine relative joules measurements) and also the advantages and disadvantages of a semi-log graph.

Okay perfect!! Thankyou so so much!
Can anyone explain why the effects were worse in Christchurch, than they were in Darfield and other earthquakes?
Reply 87
Original post by alicejackson95
Can anyone explain why the effects were worse in Christchurch, than they were in Darfield and other earthquakes?

Most of the deaths (115 people) were due to a building collapse in Christchurch and apparently it was constructed by an inexperienced architecture and overall the building was poorly constructed i'm pretty sure there are websites on that and stuff :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by Baldwin94
[INDENT] For either of the earthquakes (Darfield or Christchurch) how were they prepared?[/INDENT]

These give some good answers: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100928084958AACiu3p
Reply 89
Original post by gooby
Most of the deaths (115 people) were due to a building collapse in Christchurch and apparently it was constructed by an inexperienced architecture and overall the building was poorly constructed i'm pretty sure there are websites on that and stuff :smile:

The building which collapsed was the Canterbury Television Building which was constructed by a guy who faked his engineering degree!!! :eek::eek::eek: No doubt he was backhanded after the event in the enquiry. The PGC building also collapsed (Pyne Gould Corporation)
Reply 90
Original post by EloiseB

There has, however, not been an increase in climatological and geophysical events, apart from yearly anomalies in figure 1.

mhmmm im not sure, ill argue that climatogical events have increased form the size of the bars, and it kinda does makes sense that it will increase a tiny bit due to global warming
Reply 92
Original post by alicejackson95

There was vertical and horizontal movement and moved very fast, the fastest NZ has seen.

Shallower focus point than Darfield (Christchurch had a 5km deep focus whereas Darfield had a 10km depth)

Focus point was also much close to the denser area of Christchurch, darfield was in a rural area = less populated.

Seismic Lensing was a huge factor too, causing somewhat like a double attack.

Steeper slopes causing landslides/rockfalls

Time of day was at lunchtime for Christchurch, more busier time than Darfield which was early morning 4:30am.

And of course the fact that buildings were already much weakened by the Darfield EQ and so many more buildings collapsed as they were in the process of recovering/rebuilding.

Reply 93
There's actually hardly any impacts on the Canterbury earthquake...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Original post by Gary
There's actually hardly any impacts on the Canterbury earthquake... Posted from TSR Mobile

Impacts of the quake:

Social-
185 dead.
Over a 1000 injured.
Houses damaged or destroyed.
Temporary job loss from destroyed buildings. (PGC)
Thousands off homes face demolition due to liquefaction creating unstable structures. .
70 000 fled the city in the first week. (Many have returned as conditions improved)

Economic-
$40bn cost of damage.
Business premises destroyed or damaged.
Outwards migration of skilled workers from Christchurch.
Large parts of Christchurch's CBD cordoned off for up to two years.
Loss of tourism revenue. (minor)
Electricity and communication lines lost initially.

Environmental-
Liquefaction.
Landslips and mudslides.
Sewage pipes flooding into the environment.
Rock cliffs in Port Hills collapsed.

There you go... there is probably alot more!
Reply 95
Original post by Chyavan
Impacts of the quake:

Social-
185 dead.
Over a 1000 injured.
Houses damaged or destroyed.
Temporary job loss from destroyed buildings. (PGC)
Thousands off homes face demolition due to liquefaction creating unstable structures. .
70 000 fled the city in the first week. (Many have returned as conditions improved)

Economic-
$40bn cost of damage.
Business premises destroyed or damaged.
Outwards migration of skilled workers from Christchurch.
Large parts of Christchurch's CBD cordoned off for up to two years.
Loss of tourism revenue. (minor)
Electricity and communication lines lost initially.

Environmental-
Liquefaction.
Landslips and mudslides.
Sewage pipes flooding into the environment.
Rock cliffs in Port Hills collapsed.

There you go... there is probably alot more!

That's the Christchurch earthquake, I meant the darfield one:P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
After doing spearmans rank today, I might do chi squared tomorrow and see if there's any difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by Gary
That's the Christchurch earthquake, I meant the darfield one:P Posted from TSR Mobile

My bad!
Check this out http://www.fig.net/pub/monthly_articles/september_2011/september_2011_blick_beavan_et_al.pdf
Reply 98
Original post by Gary
After doing spearmans rank today, I might do chi squared tomorrow and see if there's any difference

Posted from TSR Mobile

im worried now! are we expected to have or carry out statistical tests for the data> and if so which tests for which data?

thank you!
Reply 99
Just to clarify I have now done both Spearman's rank calculations, using formulated excel tables.

P1 - P2 gives -0.159669503. No Linear correlation.
P3 - P4 gives 0.339414. Weak positive correlation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending