The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2740
Currently it is so dangerous place, one turkish guy told me that, even he is not going out there. however, it is so lovely place and ppl are kind and food is delicious...balik kebab lahmacuniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii))) oh i want it now in this dark stressful smelly glasgow:frown:
Sooo...

Finished my second-last university exam today...

It went alright I guess, I did well I think, but I could have done better given the amount of time I studied... ::s-smilie:
Reply 2742
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Sooo...

It went alright I guess, I did well I think, but I could have done better given the amount of time I studied... ::s-smilie:

Hey
Well done :wink: I finished my exams last week :wink: we had tiny party at chancellors straight after exam. Finally its over :wink: Did u just finish second year or first?
I'm not Turkish but ima join this 'deserted' thread anyway. :cool:
Original post by Maryb_102

Hey:biggrin: it's not much fun atm, but that might be because people are occupied with exams/revision... or we're just boring people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2745
Original post by Username97
Hey:biggrin: it's not much fun atm, but that might be because people are...

Posted from TSR Mobile

out protesting at the moment :rolleyes: Too soon? :colone:
Hey:biggrin: it's not much fun atm, but that might be because people are occupied with exams/revision... or we're just boring people

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, exams are ruling my life atm! Naah Turks can't be boring! Bet you are way fun:biggrin: let's wait till exams are over. This thread needs livening up

Welcome :h:

I wonder when all of this is going to stop...

And what the outcome will be, if anything.

I would hope for less political control over the media. Censorship's a big issue in Turkey. Just have a read of the press freedom index 2013 report, Turkey, ranked 154#. Even Zimbabwe, Iraq and Israel is ranked as having a more free press.

Going on a slight tangent, I think the censorship in soaps (not that I watch any) is ridiculous too.
Why is it that people are are so horrified of showing children a man holding a cigarette on Turkish TV, to the extent that it must be blurred out completely, yet they are perfectly fine with showing scenes in which a 13 year old girl being raped by an old man, or a young woman being gang raped.

:rolleyes:
Sooo...

It didn't feel like uni was over when I finished my final uni exam for a long time :tongue:
Original post by lNurl
Hey
Well done :wink: I finished my exams last week :wink: we had tiny party at chancellors straight after exam. Finally its over :wink: Did u just finish second year or first?

Thanks :smile: Well my last one is at the end of this week on friday, so still studying kind of hard :frown:

I will be finishing my first year :smile:

Welcome bro :cool:

Original post by hollywoodbudgie

I would hope for less political control over the media. Censorship's a big issue in Turkey. Just have a read of the press freedom index 2013 report, Turkey, ranked 154#. Even Zimbabwe, Iraq and Israel is ranked as having a more free press.

Going on a slight tangent, I think the censorship in soaps (not that I watch any) is ridiculous too.
Why is it that people are are so horrified of showing children a man holding a cigarette on Turkish TV, to the extent that it must be blurred out completely, yet they are perfectly fine with showing scenes in which a 13 year old girl being raped by an old man, or a young woman being gang raped.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, totally agree with you in that censorship is an issue.

I never watch Turkish soaps, do you? Ouch, that seems crazy, I have never seen anything that bad.

It didn't feel like uni was over when I finished my final uni exam for a long time :tongue:

Yeah, will probably be the same for me sadly... you just get into that routine, you know?
Wow, you're all free, I've still got loads of exams to go, the last on the 24th-physics :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The press freedom isn't great here, either. They don't report 8/10 Iraq killings to avoid upsetting the public. And the 2008 Israel-Palestine conflict, I remember it being no more than a 5 minute feature on BBC News. After all, the UK doesn't want to upset Israel and create sympathy for Muslims.

The Europe/USA media will do ANYTHING to make Turkey look bad, it's what they're most afraid of- a developing Muslim country. Now Spain/Greece/Portugal are going down with many more to follow, the rate at which Turkey's economy is improving is not in their favour.

Why is the blurring such a bad thing? I don't know what you've been watching with the whole raping scenario, but it's never as graphic or elongated as it is here. Maybe they should try the blurring here, it would discourage teenagers to get drunk and high every other night and prevent another generation of Jeremy Kyle.

Just my own little rant:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The press freedom isn't great here, either. They don't report 8/10 Iraq killings to avoid upsetting the public. And the 2008 Israel-Palestine conflict, I remember it being no more than a 5 minute feature on BBC News. After all, the UK doesn't want to upset Israel and create sympathy for Muslims.

The logic fallacy here is known as a tu quoque- when you attempt to justify wrong action because someone else also does it. If people demand for a more free press in Turkey, then why should they care about what the standards of press are like in Jamaica, Sweden, or the UK and Israel as you put it.

Moreover, the freedom of press index is carried out by an independent body, and still Turkey is ranked lower than Zimbabwe, and the UK and Israel is higher, which goes to show if you think the press is poor here, you'd probably be marching in the streets of Turkey too.

The Europe/USA media will do ANYTHING to make Turkey look bad, it's what they're most afraid of- a developing Muslim country. Now Spain/Greece/Portugal are going down with many more to follow, the rate at which Turkey's economy is improving is not in their favour.

I think the logic fallacy here is known as a strawman, when you attempt to counter a position by attacking a different position.

People in Turkey are asking for a more free press therefore the improvement to the economy is irrelevant to the debate. Just because a government has improved the economy, it does not mean that people do not also have the right for a more free press.

Why is the blurring such a bad thing? I don't know what you've been watching with the whole raping scenario, but it's never as graphic or elongated as it is here. Maybe they should try the blurring here, it would discourage teenagers to get drunk and high every other night and prevent another generation of Jeremy Kyle.

I did not say blurring is a bad thing per say, I just said it is pointless. Children are not stupid. They see people smoking in real life all the time and know that the blur represents smoking. My boyfriend would laugh if you accused him that he had started smoking because he saw a bloke with sunglasses on aTV smoking back when he was a kid.

I don't think that even you believe that people get drunk and high just because that's what they see on TV thus by censoring these we will magically solve our youth problems that are so majestically portrayed on the Jeremy Kyle show, so why bother arguing something so ridiculous.

Moreover, I don't appreciate the light hearted comment that I'm watching dodgy programmes. The soaps I mentioned were mainstream soaps show at peak hours on the most popular channels. My rant was that that I don't understand why everyone is so horrified of a child seeing a cigarette on TV but don't bat an eyelid of portrayals of women being raped.

Just my own little rant:wink:

Fair enough, but next time you rant, remember that my avatar is fire for a reason :hugs:

EDIT: Too much Game of Thrones has influenced the writing of this post :/
(edited 10 years ago)
People in Turkey are asking for a more free press therefore the improvement to the economy is irrelevant to the debate. Just because a government has improved the economy, it does not mean that people do not also have the right for a more free press.

I did not say blurring is a bad thing per say, I just said it is pointless. Children are not stupid. They see people smoking in real life all the time and know that the blur represents smoking. My boyfriend would laugh if you accused him that he had started smoking because he saw a bloke with sunglasses on aTV smoking back when he was a kid.

I don't think that even you believe that people get drunk and high just because that's what they see on TV thus by censoring these we will magically solve our youth problems that are so majestically portrayed on the Jeremy Kyle show, so why bother arguing something so ridiculous.

Moreover, I don't appreciate the light hearted comment that I'm watching dodgy programmes. The soaps I mentioned were mainstream soaps show at peak hours on the most popular channels. My rant was that that I don't understand why everyone is so horrified of a child seeing a cigarette on TV but don't bat an eyelid of portrayals of women being raped.

Fair enough, but next time you rant, remember that my avatar is fire for a reason :hugs:

EDIT: Too much Game of Thrones has influenced the writing of this post :/

I'm saying that the UK's portrayal of Turkey/Turks is negative, and not because we're in the wrong, but the media shaping every detail as they want.

The point is, my family and friends in Turkey have seen the benefits Erdogan has brought about since he became PM- surely this says something about him, he must be doing something right. He criticizes the media himself.

Drugs/alcohol won't cause people to get high/drunk, but it does play a part in encouragement (like growing up with parents who have these habits). The number of teens in Turkey who have been drinking/smoking has been increasing, and the government has been trying to do something about it, as seen on adverts.

I'm tired now, must sleep:colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Soz to interrupt the serious political convo, BUTTTTTTTTT
Anyone else <3 him

çağatay ulusoy (from the Adini Feriha Koydum dizi)

A.K.A My future husband :smile:)))))))

Reply 2755
Original post by Ilovechocolate09
Anyone else <3 him

Emir, haha?)) Even in drama he had tons of lovers CD but tbh he is hot :smile: but I wouldn't want good looking husband ^_^
Original post by Ilovechocolate09
Anyone else <3 him

I also love Cagatay Ulusoy:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, you're all free, I've still got loads of exams to go, the last on the 24th-physics :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, keep studying then my friend & goodluck! :wink:

In other news, I just finished my exams today, it feels really weird being free :s-smilie:
So what's everyone doing with their free time? :biggrin:

I went to an animal shelter today and then movies (World War Z) :woo:
I really want a labrador <3
I went to an animal shelter today and then movies (World War Z) :woo:

Is it any good?

hollywoodbudgie
I really want a labrador <3

Not a Kangal? Shame on you. :naughty:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending