The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

De Gea is paying for his transfer fee in highlight reels let alone his actually quality of keeping. It seems he pulls off at least one world class save a game, sometime more. His reaction are brilliant the way he uses his feet just saves so many shots that other keepers would miss, the Mata save at the death for example.
(edited 10 years ago)
De Gea straight swap for Cesc - put both of their values at £100 million to keep Zurich quiet

Spoiler

Reply 5002
Thanks for those De Gea saves, he is becoming one of my favourite players, hopefully stays here for ages.
Original post by Tommyjw

Great jpegs there of De Gea at his best. It's great to see him racking up this experience with the under 21's. Casillas is getting on; Reina and Valdes are the experienced duo but I'd love to see a Spanish coach take the opportunity to give De Gea the number slot but he'd need to play for the senior team before taking over that mantle.

I still want to see an English interview from him. Apparently he wanted to answer question in English before the RM-Man United presser at the Bernabeu but didn't get a chance to.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
De Gea straight swap for Cesc - put both of their values at £100 million to keep Zurich quiet

Spoiler

Barca would then have to hand over a cheque for 50m to Arsenal. Doubt they'd fancy that tbh,

Absolutely amazed that any Utd fans are still harboring hope of getting Fabregas when he was never leaving Barca anyway, is so wrapped up in clauses to make him practically unsignable for everyone but AFC and wouldnt play for Utd anyway. Unless he really thinks that David Moyes is the logical figure to take his game to the next level of course.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5005
De Gea is getting better and better, the fact he has bulked up yet not lost any of his agility or speed is impressive. Fingers crossed we have a top world class keeper for the next 12-15 years.
Original post by Zürich
Barca would then have to hand over a cheque for 50m to Arsenal. Doubt they'd fancy that tbh,

Absolutely amazed that any Utd fans are still harboring hope of getting Fabregas when he was never leaving Barca anyway, is so wrapped up in clauses to make him practically unsignable for everyone but AFC and wouldnt play for Utd anyway. Unless he really thinks that David Moyes is the logical figure to take his game to the next level of course.

You should have clicked my spoilers!

I reckon Moysie would get more out of Cesc than Tito does

Right now Tito ain't doing a very good job.

If Fabregas genuinely was focused on developing as a player, there's no doubt he'd still be with Wenger.

Instead he's currently playing in 5-0 drubbings of Getafe while missing all the big games and learning nothing. At best hes stagnated at Barca.

Moyes actually has a good record for developing young players, but hes not so hot on the technical side of things is he?
Original post by Zürich
Moyes actually has a good record for developing young players, but hes not so hot on the technical side of things is he?
This is one of the things I'm kind of on the fence about. Tactically over a season with the resources he has, he's clearly a very good manager or he wouldn't be placing Everton that high but his record against the big sides is a bit lacking. A common one thrown out is his record against the Tradition big 4 is pretty poor, didn't win a game against any of them away. People have said, he's not too tactical and such but tbh, how many games has he come into without a significantly weaker side? I'm not really sure how to read into it, he beats the managers he's competing against season after season, and they inflict defeats on the big teams so you would think by default he's capable of the same tactical feats, but 45 games no wins is a hard record to look away from.

On the field I think Moyes is quite old school pretty hands on compared to SAF in the training dept. Although I'm not really sure how much that means tbh. I think the manager is more responsible for the players heads than their actual training development.

As for Cesc at Arsenal, I'm not so sure about staying and developing. Game time doesn't always mean the best development, look at Rooney. If we are being honest, we've contributed quite heavily to his stunted growth. He's been so important, that at that crucial 25-28 zone where Messi and Ronaldo just exploded, Rooney was carrying our team and getting a bit of a beating. Less games and less pressure if it means focusing on playing the game you need, is probably better than 35 games a season doing the job the team needs at the expense of yourself. I'd guess that was a trap Cesc was falling into at Arsenal, not that Barca solved it.
Reply 5010
It's carrickkkkk you knowwww

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5011
Original post by doggyfizzel
look at Rooney. If we are being honest, we've contributed quite heavily to his stunted growth. He's been so important, that at that crucial 25-28 zone where Messi and Ronaldo just exploded, Rooney was carrying our team and getting a bit of a beating. Less games and less pressure if it means focusing on playing the game you need, is probably better than 35 games a season doing the job the team needs at the expense of yourself. I'd guess that was a trap Cesc was falling into at Arsenal, not that Barca solved it.

I honestly think there are bigger factors than him carrying the team to why he hasn't become as good as some expected. Messi and Ronaldo both play vast amounts of games each year (Messi 60 and 50 in the last 2 years, Ronaldo 55 and 55.)

I'd personally more put it down to:

Rooney having to play around Ronaldo when he was here, he didn't play in his ideal position quite a bit of the time which naturally would affect his development

He seems to go through periods where he doesn't keep himself in the best shape, that along with him being a physical player who will get stuck in naturally is going to cause more wear and tear

The fact that since RVP's arrival again he hasn't really been given an extended period up top, RVP came in and started knocking them in while Rooney was injured/not on top form. Since then he's not really been given a long run of games to find form and confidence

Original post by doggyfizzel
This is one of the things I'm kind of on the fence about. Tactically over a season with the resources he has, he's clearly a very good manager or he wouldn't be placing Everton that high but his record against the big sides is a bit lacking. A common one thrown out is his record against the Tradition big 4 is pretty poor, didn't win a game against any of them away. People have said, he's not too tactical and such but tbh, how many games has he come into without a significantly weaker side? I'm not really sure how to read into it, he beats the managers he's competing against season after season, and they inflict defeats on the big teams so you would think by default he's capable of the same tactical feats, but 45 games no wins is a hard record to look away from.

On the field I think Moyes is quite old school pretty hands on compared to SAF in the training dept. Although I'm not really sure how much that means tbh. I think the manager is more responsible for the players heads than their actual training development.

As for Cesc at Arsenal, I'm not so sure about staying and developing. Game time doesn't always mean the best development, look at Rooney. If we are being honest, we've contributed quite heavily to his stunted growth. He's been so important, that at that crucial 25-28 zone where Messi and Ronaldo just exploded, Rooney was carrying our team and getting a bit of a beating. Less games and less pressure if it means focusing on playing the game you need, is probably better than 35 games a season doing the job the team needs at the expense of yourself. I'd guess that was a trap Cesc was falling into at Arsenal, not that Barca solved it.

Yeah Moyes is in many ways a throwback to a bygone era. One thing that's always struck me watching his teams in the flesh was just how fit they were, well either that or they were just unbelievably motivated because Everton just never stopped running. But that only takes you so far and Fergie wasnt exactly running a health spa either. His record against the top 4 sadly suggests tactical inexperience. But hes never had the players to properly implement complex tactical strategies, Gravesen was never going to outsmart the top players was he, so Moyes probably just played the hand he was dealt. Having said that, Everton literally seem to play the same system week in week out under him so interested to see how he does with top class playersand if he feels confident enough to experiment. Better hope he picks it up quickly...

Rooney is a very raw footballer who tbh, hasnt learned a thing in his life. He plays exactly the same way he did at 17 and that's just the way he is. I think Rooney's problem is simply that hes lost the hunger that he had, with RVP's arrival bringing things to a head. Fabregas is similar in that hes at his best when he plays with instinct, Barca try to integrate him into their machine and hes just not as good and its a real waste. They should have signed Arteta is they wanted a cog, Fabregas is an artist. Then again Fab will win trophies at Barca that we wont at AFC but personally, I think I'd prefer to be remembered as a great player than just to disappear into the night with a bunch of medals half earned.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Idle
I honestly think there are bigger factors than him carrying the team to why he hasn't become as good as some expected. Messi and Ronaldo both play vast amounts of games each year (Messi 60 and 50 in the last 2 years, Ronaldo 55 and 55.)

I'd personally more put it down to:

Rooney having to play around Ronaldo when he was here, he didn't play in his ideal position quite a bit of the time which naturally would affect his development

He seems to go through periods where he doesn't keep himself in the best shape, that along with him being a physical player who will get stuck in naturally is going to cause more wear and tear

The fact that since RVP's arrival again he hasn't really been given an extended period up top, RVP came in and started knocking them in while Rooney was injured/not on top form. Since then he's not really been given a long run of games to find form and confidence

Well the first one is kind of what I meant, being shifted wide, then playing in AM like he did. Filling the role we needed him in rather than the roles he was suited to playing in.

The second one part of that has been injuries he had the foot, then the foot and ankle injury, then the ankle popped up again which hit at around the time he was coming on leaps and bounds. I don't think he would have hit their levels, as I said, he's clearly not an athlete like Ronaldo, but I think he could certainly have been an undisputed world class player, somewhere in there he lost some pace and agility which I don't think can purely be attributed to weight.

I'm not so sure about RVP, I think that happened a bit late, consensus was already Rooney hadn't come on as he should that happen before the arrival of RVP.

I wasn't saying it was game time, I was talking about there being more to development than simply minutes. Playing entire seasons out of position or with too much of a specific focus being a problem.
Original post by Zürich
Fabregas is an artist. Then again Fab will win trophies at Barca that we wont at AFC but personally, I think I'd prefer to be remembered as a great player than just to disappear into the night with a bunch of medals half earned.

He can have half a medal seems to play first half of the season storming then the next half extremely inconsistent. :tongue:
Original post by Malevolent
He can have half a medal seems to play first half of the season storming then the next half extremely inconsistent. :tongue:

If Barca had won the CL this year, Fab would have got a medal whilst being on the bench for all of the important games. Where's the glory in that? May as well get a job as the kitman.
Original post by Zürich
If Barca had won the CL this year, Fab would have got a medal whilst being on the bench for all of the important games. Where's the glory in that? May as well get a job as the kitman.

Nothing wrong with that. May as well say only the normal players who play all the big games should get the CL medals :tongue:
To be honest, I can't see United winning the title next season. My best bets are on Mourinho winning it.
Original post by Zürich
Yeah Moyes is in many ways a throwback to a bygone era. One thing that's always struck me watching his teams in the flesh was just how fit they were, well either that or they were just unbelievably motivated because Everton just never stopped running. But that only takes you so far and Fergie wasnt exactly running a health spa either. His record against the top 4 sadly suggests tactical inexperience. But hes never had the players to properly implement complex tactical strategies, Gravesen was never going to outsmart the top players was he, so Moyes probably just played the hand he was dealt. Having said that, Everton literally seem to play the same system week in week out under him so interested to see how he does with top class playersand if he feels confident enough to experiment. Better hope he picks it up quickly...

Rooney is a very raw footballer who tbh, hasnt learned a thing in his life. He plays exactly the same way he did at 17 and that's just the way he is. I think Rooney's problem is simply that hes lost the hunger that he had, with RVP's arrival bringing things to a head. Fabregas is similar in that hes at his best when he plays with instinct, Barca try to integrate him into their machine and hes just not as good and its a real waste. They should have signed Arteta is they wanted a cog, Fabregas is an artist. Then again Fab will win trophies at Barca that we wont at AFC but personally, I think I'd prefer to be remembered as a great player than just to disappear into the night with a bunch of medals half earned.

I think he has a major attitude problem and moreover he does not possess the same thirst for success that some foreign players display on and off the field. Just take a look at his nasty comment to the cameras following England's scrappy 0 - 0 draw with Algeria at the World Cup.
Reply 5019
Original post by Michael McKean
To be honest, I can't see United winning the title next season. My best bets are on Mourinho winning it.

BELIEVE!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest