The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by ActaNonVerba
I'm still baffed out here.. every source is telling me that the molecular formula for linseed oil is c57-h98-o6 (Mr = 878) .. Number moles in 0.2 g is 0.2/878=0.0002278 moles of oil, and we were shown that 1 mole of oil reacts with 6 moles of I2, so moles of I2 = 6x0.0002278=0.001367 moles of i2, so to workout mass you times by Mr of i2, 0.001367 x 253.8=0.3469 g ..but this is the mass of iodine reacting with 0.2g, so I multiplied by 500 to get mass of i2 in 100g of linseed, 500 x 0.3469= 173.5g <<<< surely this is the true iodine number of linseed oil??.. Or maybe Ocr rounded their values so a discrete iodine number could be calculated

OCR might have bent the truth in order to allow for easy testing of your knowledge on the subject, so it is likely that certain figures they give might not be 100% true to a real life situation.
Reply 861
Original post by Mattywooda
But the question said 93% reflectance at red and 90% green and 0% blue! So surely it shouldn't drop.

no it wasn't reflectance, that was the colour mix of a computer screen to give a certain illusion that is was the same colour.
Reply 862
What was the answer to the conditions and reagants question to add a methyl group??:smile:
Reply 863
Original post by Rustii
What was the answer to the conditions and reagants question to add a methyl group??:smile:

Believe it was heat under reflux with chloromethane and anhydrous AlCl3. Or hope it was, at least!
Reply 864
Original post by Rustii

Chloromethane ch3cl , AlCl3 [anhydrous (forgot)] and room temp I think
Original post by TheNote
no it wasn't reflectance, that was the colour mix of a computer screen to give a certain illusion that is was the same colour.

What did your curve look like, and what labels did you put?
Reply 866
What did your curve look like, and what labels did you put?

I can't remember to be honest but I remember taking specific note that it was talking about screen colour and that our graph was wavelength based

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheNote
I can't remember to be honest but I remember taking specific note that it was talking about screen colour and that our graph was wavelength based

Posted from TSR Mobile

fair do's.. well what do you think about mine; x axis was wavelength(might have put frequency or both), y axis was reflectance, I drew a sort of deformed curve that rose and then fell again, at the lamda max (peak of curve) I drew a line down to the wavelength and labelled yellow.. didn't know what they wanted me to do with the percentages tbh
Original post by moalem.abassi
that is the correct answer without rounding errors. I got the same (174 3.s.f) because I didn't round until the very end.

you won't lose marks for not including rounding errors. all past paper questions like this (where rounding errors are possible) always note the number with numerous significant in the 'additional info' part of the mark scheme.

so long as you rounded to 2.s.f or more then you should get the marks.

but here's the joke, I had worked out the number of remaining moles (because I knew they wanted me to do it) so I felt I had to do something with it loool so I took that value away from "the actual number of moles that me and you worked out".. because I knew they wanted us to take something away from something then calculate the mass, by multiplying by Mr of iodine and 500.. basically I got it wrong :P.. Oh btw, did they give the number of moles of the excess iodine or was it just a concentration (people are telling me it was the no moles :/)
I'm still baffed out here.. every source is telling me that the molecular formula for linseed oil is c57-h98-o6 (Mr = 878) .. Number moles in 0.2 g is 0.2/878=0.0002278 moles of oil, and we were shown that 1 mole of oil reacts with 6 moles of I2, so moles of I2 = 6x0.0002278=0.001367 moles of i2, so to workout mass you times by Mr of i2, 0.001367 x 253.8=0.3469 g ..but this is the mass of iodine reacting with 0.2g, so I multiplied by 500 to get mass of i2 in 100g of linseed, 500 x 0.3469= 173.5g <<<< surely this is the true iodine number of linseed oil??.. Or maybe Ocr rounded their values so a discrete iodine number could be calculated

that is the correct answer without rounding errors. I got the same (174 3.s.f) because I didn't round until the very end.

edit:

i don't think ocr rounded their values because i got 174 using only the numbers on the paper.

you won't lose marks for not including rounding errors. all past paper questions like this (where rounding errors are possible) always note the number with numerous significant in the 'additional info' part of the mark scheme.

You had to give a reason aswell, and a mark could be the difference between an A and a B, university or not, career or nothing, life and death

slippery
Original post by moalem.abassi

edit:

i don't think ocr rounded their values because i got 174 using only the numbers on the paper.

slippery

What did your reflectance diagram look like?
Original post by stealth_writer
I totally agree! Why is that we are wrong if we did work backwards on that seashell Q?

Original post by badatgow

The interesting question IMO was the one about the calcium carbonate shells. My reasoning was that, increasing acidity increases [H+], so second equation equilibrium concentration shifts to the right. This increases concentration of [HCO3-]. I figured this would increase the concentration of [CO3 2-] in the first equation, so equilibrium would shift to the left to oppose the change. As a result, calcium carbonate concentration would increase and the shell thickness would increase. However, writing that down made me feel like a mug the entire time because i'm pretty sure if you pour acid on calcium carbonate it would just dissolve...but I couldn't see the chemistry to disagree with me. Oh well, only 2 marks if i'm wrong anyways.

What is the chemistry that agrees with bold?

The chemistry that agrees CaCO3(s) decreases, however, is:

eq1.

CaCO3 <=> CO3 2- + Ca 2+

eq2.

H+ + CO3 2- <=> HCO3-

- Increase acid means increase in [H+]

- Increase in[H+] causes equilibrium position of eq.2 to shift to the right (to oppose change)
^ By shifting to the right: [HCO3-] increases; [H+] and [CO3 2-] decrease.

- Since [CO3 2-] decreases, the equilibrium position in eq.2 shifts to the right (to oppose change)
^ By shifting to the right: [CO3 2-] and [Ca 2+] increase; [CaCO3] decreases.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 872
fair do's.. well what do you think about mine; x axis was wavelength(might have put frequency or both), y axis was reflectance, I drew a sort of deformed curve that rose and then fell again, at the lamda max (peak of curve) I drew a line down to the wavelength and labelled yellow.. didn't know what they wanted me to do with the percentages tbh

Sounds right to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did your reflectance diagram look like?

my axis went blue to red (from left to right)

no reflectance at blue
began to rise in the middle: for the green light
continued to the end: for the red light

so basically no peak at blue but peak at red and green, because it was reflectance spectra.

red and green light makes yellow light.

Something is yellow either because it reflects pure yellow light ( according to /\E = hv) or, it can be a mixture of green and red light reflecting.
Original post by abzy1234
Amino acids make proteins, which are the building blocks of life, and thus it would prove that human life could exist?

I was sorely tempted to write that it would prove aliens exist :tongue:

Original post by billybobs
What did people put for the question that asked suggest something about amino-acids in the comet?

Something to do with suggestion that life exists/existed because organisms create amino-acids? xD

Original post by Sujman
I wrote to check for biological activities

Original post by manpyy
I wrote amino acids make proteins which are essential for life to exist, but don't know if that applies to comet life too!

Do to with the origins of life / abiogenesis

from wikipedia 'abiogenesis' article:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 875
For the Iodine question, I got 200 something and I'm pretty sure I got it correct, could someone explain how you guys got "170"...as me and a friend also for the same answer?
Reply 876
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2379859
Seems like from our predictions the boundary for an A will be around 85/86.
(edited 10 years ago)
What was the formula for the antimony question ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Futuristicmedic
What was the formula for the antimony question ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

antiomony(v)oxide or antimonyoxide(v)

Does anybody remember what the condition was for the buffers?

Secondly on the question where it asked for the property of carrier molecule do you think i'd get a mark for saying insoluable?
Reply 879
Original post by Rustii

i put chloroalkane (chloromethane), anhydrous aluminium chloride for the reactants
heat under reflux for conditions
not sure if this is right! anyway i hated this paper:angry:

Latest

Trending

Trending